Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo we are having our first game tomorrow.

I played through the playbook and a couple of moves on and have some questions. (I'll probably have a few more tomorrow.)

1) During a train command in a space with a fort and hillfort the Dux player can place 1 Cav and 2 Mil for 3 resources?

2) During a muster command do you have to have a vacant town/hill fort site to place a town or Hill fort. (ie can you remove a foederati settlement)

3)When raiding you select the targets and the resolve the targets one by one. ie you don't roll 4 times and then send the biggest raid to the juiciest target

4) Do attacking raiders without surprise still roll for an ambush?

5) If you choose deep raid for the surprise feat can you still roll for coup de main?

6) On the map: It looks like Silures and Durotriges are not adjacent. Similarly Dubonni and the Oceanus Hibernicus are not adjacent?

7) The only ways to get rid of a Foederati settlement is by not paying the matching warbands in its space OR have it destroyed in battle by barbarians?

cheers
Gus



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GuusI wrote:
Woohoo we are having our first game tomorrow.

I played through the playbook and a couple of moves on and have some questions. (I'll probably have a few more tomorrow.)

1) During a train command in a space with a fort and hillfort the Dux player can place 1 Cav and 2 Mil for 3 resources?

2) During a muster command do you have to have a vacant town/hill fort site to place a town or Hill fort. (ie can you remove a foederati settlement)

3)When raiding you select the targets and the resolve the targets one by one. ie you don't roll 4 times and then send the biggest raid to the juiciest target

4) Do attacking raiders without surprise still roll for an ambush?

5) If you choose deep raid for the surprise feat can you still roll for coup de main?

6) On the map: It looks like Silures and Durotriges are not adjacent. Similarly Dubonni and the Oceanus Hibernicus are not adjacent?

7) The only ways to get rid of a Foederati settlement is by not paying the matching warbands in its space OR have it destroyed in battle by barbarians?

cheers
Gus
1) Yes
2) Yes (only events let you replace strongholds, not regular commands)
3) Correct, you clearly state which region the roll is for. note that the Scotti have an event that kind of lets them get around this by creating a pool of raider that can be added after dice are rolled for a region.
4) Yes, as long as they are in home terrain.
5) Yes
6) Yes, see page 68 of the playbook.
7) No; the other Briton faction could also battle it, an event can remove it, or you can replace it with one of your strongholds as part of an event. There may be more options that I'm missing.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nico!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we had a great time with 4 Pendragon newbies (3 of us have played most other COIN games). I think we got most of the rules correct and most of the tactics wrong. We ended up as a tie between Dux and Civ.

My Scottis were quite successful at removing Briton control in western England but that actually worked against me as it would have been better to pick off provinces that refill full with loot every epoch and ransom wealthy landlords who can afford to pay frequently.

One more question - is Ocean patrol status only changed by event? If the Irish shore comes in early and Niall Noigiallach comes in late the Scottis would have a hard time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GuusI wrote:
Well we had a great time with 4 Pendragon newbies (3 of us have played most other COIN games). I think we got most of the rules correct and most of the tactics wrong. We ended up as a tie between Dux and Civ.

My Scottis were quite successful at removing Briton control in western England but that actually worked against me as it would have been better to pick off provinces that refill full with loot every epoch and ransom wealthy landlords who can afford to pay frequently.

One more question - is Ocean patrol status only changed by event? If the Irish shore comes in early and Niall Noigiallach comes in late the Scottis would have a hard time.
Yeah, ocean patrol status seems to be changed very rarely and only by event.
There was a discussion here somewhere in which the designer explained why Niall was not decisive enough for victory to be the Scotti pivotal event, but I can't find it right now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
GuusI wrote:
Woohoo we are having our first game tomorrow.

I played through the playbook and a couple of moves on and have some questions. (I'll probably have a few more tomorrow.)

1) During a train command in a space with a fort and hillfort the Dux player can place 1 Cav and 2 Mil for 3 resources?

2) During a muster command do you have to have a vacant town/hill fort site to place a town or Hill fort. (ie can you remove a foederati settlement)

3)When raiding you select the targets and the resolve the targets one by one. ie you don't roll 4 times and then send the biggest raid to the juiciest target

4) Do attacking raiders without surprise still roll for an ambush?

5) If you choose deep raid for the surprise feat can you still roll for coup de main?

6) On the map: It looks like Silures and Durotriges are not adjacent. Similarly Dubonni and the Oceanus Hibernicus are not adjacent?

7) The only ways to get rid of a Foederati settlement is by not paying the matching warbands in its space OR have it destroyed in battle by barbarians?

cheers
Gus
1) Yes
2) Yes (only events let you replace strongholds, not regular commands)
3) Correct, you clearly state which region the roll is for. note that the Scotti have an event that kind of lets them get around this by creating a pool of raider that can be added after dice are rolled for a region.
4) Yes, as long as they are in home terrain.
Indeed, Ambush and Surprise are not correlated
Quote:

5) Yes
Actually, you MUST roll for coup de main for any Assault in the Deep Raid space, since it is a Surprise space
Quote:
6) Yes, see page 68 of the playbook.
See note to 1.3.4 too
Quote:
7) No; the other Briton faction could also battle it, an event can remove it, or you can replace it with one of your strongholds as part of an event. There may be more options that I'm missing.
Note that not paying Foederati does not remove the Settlement, but may remove the Foederati marker only if there are Foederati warbands of the same affiliation (nation and colour) in the same space that are not paid
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.