Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using Masks of Nyarlathotep assets without actually using the expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For tomorrow we have planned a big game of EH. Since a couple of players are new, but we all like the "All In" approach, we decided to play a vanilla "Azatoth" game with assets from all the other expansions.

I have Masks still unopened. In your experience, can we use the provided cards and counters in a "basic" game too?

I, of course, already know that assets which do need a specific expansion are unused in a basic game, like the "Focus" ones. What I'm talking about are Mythos cards, monsters, various kinds of equipments/spells etc. Can these be used to enrich a basic game for first timers?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam S
msg tools
There is a new condition called corruption which can be complicated and some of encounter and mythos cards can give you that condition.

But when it comes to assets for the reserve I think you'd be good to add those. Some of the unique assets have to do with corruption conditions though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend to still use Focus, even if it is a beginner's game. The extra option of gaining focus not only gives players something to do if they want or need to stay in a certain place and would otherwise have to forfeit one or two actions - it also allows for rerolls without spending those precious clues...

...and it's not like it is hard to grasp, or would have complicated rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Boris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would use the Resource tokens too. I don't think the stories are complicated either. If an investigator can't help much with mysteries or rumors, then getting a resource or working on personal story feels like you are accomplishing something vs. doing nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt W
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you have everything mixed for play already, yes? Just play without opening MoN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.