6 Posts

Hive» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hive Carbon - beetle on queen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer McVety
msg tools
Hi there,

We've recently (as in I've played about 4 games now with three different kids) begun playing Hive, and it didn't take us long to discover the power of putting a beetle on top of a queen. What I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere online is whether or not it's allowed to place your own beetle on top of your own queen? If you did that, would that prevent your opponent from winning, because your bee is hidden? Your opponent can surround the spot where your bee is, but can they win if you don't remove your beetle? Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to BGG!

I'm not going to answer the question definitively because I'm not good enough to be 100% sure, but the Hive page is one of the more active pages on the site, and I suspect that the question may have been asked and answered there already. If not, that's the place to post it now, as those folks really know the game, and John Yianni himself frequently visits to answer various inquiries!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

If not, that's the place to post it now, as those folks really know the game, and John Yianni himself frequently visits to answer various inquiries!
Instead of posting a new thread there I recommend just hitting the red X next to the title and selecting "wrong forum" to get the moderators to move this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from BGG Community to Hive: Rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
firstpeter315 wrote:
What I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere online is whether or not it's allowed to place your own beetle on top of your own queen?

Not only is it allowed, in some situations it is a very good defensive maneuver against the opponent's attacking Beetle.

firstpeter315 wrote:
If you did that, would that prevent your opponent from winning, because your bee is hidden?

This would not prevent your opponent from winning.

firstpeter315 wrote:
Your opponent can surround the spot where your bee is, but can they win if you don't remove your beetle?

Yes then can win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that this has moved to Hive's Rules forum, you'll find a lot of basic questions have been answered in previous threads. Here are a couple of examples:

Beetle on top of a Queen
Beetle on the queen... two questions

As was mentioned in that thread, the beetle can move on top of any piece. As for putting a beetle on top of your own queen, doing so would not prevent your queen from being surrounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.