Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Using control tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that you should use control token whenever you control a planet and there's no (your) units on it. I was wondering, why it is phrased like this, because it feels clunky - multiple types of tokens mark your control status. Is it ok to always place control token on your planet (for clarity), even if your units are there?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Pudd
msg tools
mbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
The rules say that you should use control token whenever you control a planet and there's no (your) units on it. I was wondering, why it is phrased like this, because it feels clunky - multiple types of tokens mark your control status. Is it ok to always place control token on your planet (for clarity), even if your units are there?


Really there is no problem doing that. You just may run out of tokens as you place them on planets, objectives and other possible things.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As noted above, there is nothing mechanically that prevents you from doing that ... It's really just a numbers game. How many tokens you have compared to how many you'll need, that's why you can remove them from planets where you put units since the units themselves sort of act as control tokens. In this way, you should, theoretically, have enough to cover objectives and unmanned planets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Control tokens aren’t limited though.

Seems to me like a bizarre rule that exists just to cover the fact, that they didn’t bother to print enough tokens per faction. *tsk* *tsk*

Anyway, thanks for clarification.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Control tokens aren’t limited though.

Seems to me like a bizarre rule that exists just to cover the fact, that they didn’t bother to print enough tokens per faction. *tsk* *tsk*

Anyway, thanks for clarification.

There is no need to put tokens on planets with units, as the units already signify control. The way the rules are written is more to reduce unnecessary clutter than anything. The number of tokens just reflects the actual practical usage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit that after playing today I’ve instantly realized why putting those tokens on planets with units is unwieldy. Oftentimes there’s not enough space for the plastic overflow, let alone additional tokens. Still, having two ways of marking ownership is something that adds to perception complexity (especially if your race color/symbol is very different from your player color). But most of the time it’s manageable, because leaving planets without ground forces isn’t that common.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
rattkin wrote:
But most of the time it’s manageable, because leaving planets without ground forces isn’t that common.

Different metas for different folks.
Most of my games end up with (after the initial expansion phase) infantry only on home systems, Mecatol, space dock/pds planets, and whichever planet is elected to have a victory point.

The control markers can be shorthand for "Take me, I'm empty" and "If there are no ships here & all the planets have control markers, you won't be violating Ceasefire/Support for the Throne"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TomBoombs wrote:
rattkin wrote:
But most of the time it’s manageable, because leaving planets without ground forces isn’t that common.

Different metas for different folks.
Most of my games end up with (after the initial expansion phase) infantry only on home systems, Mecatol, space dock/pds planets, and whichever planet is elected to have a victory point.

The control markers can be shorthand for "Take me, I'm empty" and "If there are no ships here & all the planets have control markers, you won't be violating Ceasefire/Support for the Throne"

Agreed. While not EVERY planet for us gets left empty, it isn't uncommon at all for a planet to have nothing on it. I'd say every game I'm in, most players have at least one empty planet at some time or another (and often more).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant a situation where you leave most or almost all your planets without forces. That "isn't that common". I left out the "majority" word for some reason out of that sentence.

Sure, I can see that in you'll probably have few planets empty on average across many games.

Anyway, my initial question is kind of moot at this point. I've asked it before playing and after I've played, while I still don't like it, I don't consider it a problem after all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.