Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Richards
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the wax recomendation threads that I can find seem quite old. Thought I would ask what you still use to wax your board? I live in the US and from the posts I could find I saw Mothers Step 3 Pure carnauba wax. Is this what people still recommend and use? How do you wax it and what other tools do you use other than the wax itself? Microfiber cloth to put on and another once dry to buff out? Can't honestly say I have ever waxed anything before. Thought I would try to get some first hand advice from ya'll how to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Any car wax that says pure carnuba (this doesn't mean you are buying pure wax, it means the wax they used in their mix was purified to remove grit) and doesn't say cleaner will be fine. Doesn't really matter what you put it on with as long as it's soft, most cans of car wax come with a sponge to apply it with. For buffing in off anything made for buffing wax of a car will work, but most of the options just amount to a microfiber rag.

There are likely some minor differences between brands of wax, but realistically you won't notice them unless you have two otherwise identical boards sitting next to each other to test them on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor K
Belarus
flag msg tools
Sorry guys, new to the game, haven't seen much from other threads. Am I supposed to stockpile on wax if I play Crokinole once or twice a month for about 30 minutes each time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Nurvu wrote:
Sorry guys, new to the game, haven't seen much from other threads. Am I supposed to stockpile on wax if I play Crokinole once or twice a month for about 30 minutes each time?

No. A lot of people never wax their boards at all. It just depends on how slippery to want the surface. Usually you just wax it whenever it seems like it needs it. In your case I'd guess once a year would be plenty, but there are probably people out there who wax after every use. It's entirely a personal preference thing.

If you never wax over time a board with get covered in very fine scratches. If you wax it most of those scratches end up in the wax rather than the board and the fine scratched that do end up on the board get filled in with the wax keeping it shinier. That's also a personal preference thing though. The fine scratch you get from playing don't effect much and that a lot of playing to become really noticeable.

If you do wax one tin of car wax will pretty much last forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m selling wax in the crokinole marketplace. I had to by a big version and don’t need all of it so to share the love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Here is the wax I use, a lifetime supply will run you around $10 in the US. https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G7014J-Class-Carnauba-Paste/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve given up on all the rub on waxes. It’s shuffle board wax for me from now on. I’ve tried both types and shuffle board wax has been the most fun. In the end, that’s all that matters, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
TWrecks wrote:
I’ve given up on all the rub on waxes. It’s shuffle board wax for me from now on. I’ve tried both types and shuffle board wax has been the most fun. In the end, that’s all that matters, right?

Shuffle board wax works fine. Also carrom powder, potato starch, and probably a few other things. Powders increase the chances of fine scratch over time, but really anything meant to be used will show signs of wear eventually and the type of scratches I'm talking about are purely cosmetic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
beef
badge
sack
mbmbmbmbmb
Over 5000 games on our board at work, and have tried countless carnauba waxes, shuffleboard waxes and shuffleboard speed powders (the silicone ones) but nothing even gets close to Mespi carrom powder for us.

If you do feel like trying it out, a couple of things to note:

* It contains boric acid (many carrom powders do) and so you want to avoid breathing it when you apply it
* Don't put too much or it will slow down your board, the trick is to put a very fine layer over the whole board (a flat paint brush helps)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.