Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Firefly vs wasteland express delivery service rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frederick
South Africa
flag msg tools
Hi all.
I want to aquire a pick up and delivery game.
I was looking at both Firefly and WEDS.
What is your opinion on the two.
Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You’ll get a heavy bias towards firefly in comments here.

I for one would recommend firefly as every game feels like you’re playing an episode. It’s dripping with theme and theatrics. Lots of expansions and time have balanced and enriched this game (though none are essential), and it’s easy to find on sale at the moment.

WEDS seemingly has a higher BGG rating - common with new games that were kickstarted. But if you read users reviews it’s hit & miss. Complaints the theme isn’t implemented right (raiders aren’t raiders; more like “prey”) and it’s heavily random.

But as I said at the start, I’m biased towards firefly.
Join our crew, find a job, keep flyin’
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick
South Africa
flag msg tools
Lol. Thank you
I will place the same in WEDS forum.
I really apreciate the comments. I like the idea of both games, being a fan of Firefly the series and movie, and the apocalyptic feel of WEDS.
Bias is apreciate. Lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really comes down to if you like the Space Western feel of the Firefly verse or the MadMax Outback Wasteland feel of WEDS.

I prefer Firefly myself as I am both a fan of the show and a huge fan of space themed games in general. That said, I have not actually played WEDS, I just know what I've seen from the Kickstarter and some videos on it that I have watched.

My only complaint with Firefly is that the games can drag on for a very long time depending on the scenario, but with the right group of players, you are having fun and making jokes on the side so all is well. Most of the time I'm ok with long games as it gives you more time to enjoy it and get into the theme, but some players don't care for the extremely long games and dislike it for that alone. Not sure how long WEDS games are usually, but that is something to keep in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trueflight makes a good point. firefly is a space western - a rare gem of a theme.

WEDS’s theme is about to become the new burn-out like zombie/generic fantasy/Cthulhu/pandemic/Catan...

if you like wastelands, have you checked out Fallout?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick
South Africa
flag msg tools
Thank you very much. I apreciate the honest critique. It really help me. Any other opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I haven't played WEDS so I can't really do a head-to-head.

I can say that Firefly stands up well even if you aren't particularly a fan of the series (I thought it was OK but nothing special).

WEDS gives you a modular map, thus variation from game to game, which may be a consideration; Firefly's is static (with expansions, but they only fit in one place each).

WEDS has freeform pickup and deliver, and as I understand it when you've done enough contracts you win. Firefly doesn't have the freeform, and you do more specific jobs ("take X from Y to Z", "do some crime at A", etc.); but it does have multiple game modes (broadly "get cash", "do jobs for multiple people" and "do specific tasks", but there's variation within those).

Both games have upgrades to crew and vehicle, though in Firefly you're mostly building up your crew and gear to get better at fighting and negotiation and tech (as well as special powers), while in WEDS I believe you get individual companions with special powers and mostly upgrade your vehicle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now it's time for me to repeat my favorite statement about this game: Firefly is not a pick-up and deliver game. It is an adventure style game that uses pick-up and deliver as one of its many mechanisms.

If you are looking for a game where the objective is to build an efficient pick-up and deliver network, this is not it. But if you are looking for a game where pick-up and deliver is a part of the game without being the focus of it, you can do far worse than Firefly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Togo Took
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
Carter_Burke wrote:
WEDS’s theme is about to become the new burn-out like zombie/generic fantasy/Cthulhu/pandemic/Catan...

This really comes down to the definition of what constitutes an apocalyptic themed game. There is Mad Max like world games with only humans and there are monsters/mutant games with a Mad Max like world theme. The latter don't do much for the Apoc genre as they are little more than fantasy monster games with some guzzoline and tinned dog food. This is the type of game that there are more of and will burn out. However, the straight human future Apoc genre is plenty open I think with the perfect one still to be developed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Miller
United States
Logan
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:

WEDS seemingly has a higher BGG rating - common with new games that were kickstarted.

WEDS wasn't kickstarted. I wish it was because then it may be getting a little more love ATM

It does seem to be hit or miss for people though. In my experience (with the game and in the forums) people either think WEDS is too random, although I think it's actually pretty minimal in this regard in my opinion, and it's less random than Firefly.

OR, they wanted WEDS to be more Ameritrashy shoot-em-up kind of game and there isn't, from this perspective, enough player interaction. I think Firefly has been critiqued for similar reasons.

Personally, I prefer WEDS, but I think that is very much personal preference on art style and the game is just as much as I want and not more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like WEDS owners have found this thread. Welcome to the firefly verse.

I stand corrected about WEDS being a KS; it was not, my mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Miller
United States
Logan
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Haha, it's not a competition (for me anyway) - I came over here because the OP posted a similar question over on the WEDS thread and I was looking into it in order to provide them a better answer

I think they are both great games but definitely different. I am trying to think of a good way to express the differences. I think another poster said it well that Firefly is not really (or wholly) a pick-up-and-deliver game but rather that is an element.

WEDS isn't a pure pick-up-and-deliver either, but it's a lot more that way than Firefly. But I will admit, I have played more WEDS than Firefly. I'll go back to the WEDS forums now where I belong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to return to WEDS... you’re absolutely welcome here - you’re a Reaver. We don’t like Reavers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick
South Africa
flag msg tools
galaxybear wrote:

Haha, it's not a competition (for me anyway) - I came over here because the OP posted a similar question over on the WEDS thread and I was looking into it in order to provide them a better answer

I think they are both great games but definitely different. I am trying to think of a good way to express the differences. I think another poster said it well that Firefly is not really (or wholly) a pick-up-and-deliver game but rather that is an element.

WEDS isn't a pure pick-up-and-deliver either, but it's a lot more that way than Firefly. But I will admit, I have played more WEDS than Firefly. I'll go back to the WEDS forums now where I belong

I indeed posted on both forums. Getting interestimg views and opinions. Its getting harder to only take 1. Hahahahaha. So I might be saving a bit longer. Then I might aquire both. Still reading and I am really happy aboit the response. This forum is really cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The firefly forum seems to have attracted some especially helpful and friendly individuals.

If you’re thinking of buying both I would suggest buying firefly soon as it’s going out of print. Gale Force 9 did a recent reprint of some expansions but grab them before this amazing game does “a firefly” and disappear into the black.

Keep flyin’
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.