Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Palmarozzi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's a tall ask, but I'm trying to find a meaty enough game (like around Splendor or Isle of Skye level) that can play with 6 in 1 hour or less if everyone knows the rules. Evolution: Climate seems to offer the right depth, but I'm skeptical that the 60 minute play time applies to 6 players. Want to ask how likely it is before placing an order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the deck is your timer, the 6 player game lasts fewer rounds than with lower player counts. With experience and quick players, you could possibly get it done in an hour, but certainly not while learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
runtsta wrote:
Since the deck is your timer, the 6 player game lasts fewer rounds than with lower player counts. With experience and quick players, you could possibly get it done in an hour, but certainly not while learning the game.

The deck size changes with the player count though, the card count does decrease a bit at 6 players . The main thing that keeps the time down for 6 player games per the rules is that 6 player games require the quick play variant, which make phase 3 simultaneous for all players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Palmarozzi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
runtsta wrote:

The deck size changes with the player count though, the card count does decrease a bit at 6 players . The main thing that keeps the time down for 6 player games per the rules is that 6 player games require the quick play variant, which make phase 3 simultaneous for all players.

So it's reasonable that the 6 players is doable in an hour (assuming we've all played, no rules)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, absolutely not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it with 4 players and it was an unpleasant experience. It was hard to keep track of all the different species each player had and how their species combine with each other. Very confusing. It was my first match with this game though, but I think this game is just good with 2 or 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhaeman wrote:
So it's reasonable that the 6 players is doable in an hour (assuming we've all played, no rules)?

Under those circumstances, I'd say yes....assuming no one is a player with known habit of AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
dhaeman wrote:

Under those circumstances, I'd say yes....assuming no one is a player with known habit of AP.

Yes, I'd say an hour is reasonable if none of the players are particularly slow.

The "quick play" variant mentioned above, though, which is highly recommended for 6 players, does make the game a bit less strategic/more chaotic. Not necessarily bad, but I'm not a huge fan, even if it does decrease downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to opine that Climate works just fine with counts of 4-6, as well as three (have not played two). By "just fine" I mean that we all enjoyed it. It's actually helpful for carnivores to have more potential targets (I find that Evolution is very hard on carnivores amongst experienced players).

Can't help with the time question, though. We don't pay attention to time (I have not played this at lunch).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We almost always play with 5 or 6 players, and if everyone has a couple of games under their belts - 1 hour (maybe 1-15 minutes ) is quite doable.

This goes up if anyone suffers from AP (as their are often a lot of decisions to make) of if someone is easily distracted by events outside the game and isn't ready to play when their turn comes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I think it is playable in an hour, if you play that everyone plays their cards face down, for body size,population and traits, next to the species that are being upgraded, then just reveal in turn order from the dinosaur holder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
What's all this discussion about?!!
I'm confused. It says it right on the box: 60 minutes to play. What more proof do we need?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.