Popular Tags: [View All]
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone looked into the possibility of a 2-player variant for this? I gather from reviews it was originally a 2-6 player game, so I guess the designer thought it possible... It's the only thing putting me off buying, as 2-player would be my most likely way to get it to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ring
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The primary trouble with 2-player in this game is the size of the map.
There are too many spaces available. So, for a two player game using only about half the board works ok. Pretend like one half simply doesn't exist.
It's not as much fun as having more players, but it's functional.

I split the board with Sudan, Central African Republic, and Congo on my northern border and only play in the southern portion.

In the alternative, playing in the north of Africa with Egypt, Chad and Nigeria being your eastern most accessible provinces. If playing in the north, might want to substitute the Barbary Coast lions for another pride, so that ancestral strengths are equal between the two players at the start of the game. However, could also use that ancestral strength bonus of the Barbary Coast lions as a nice handicap if there is a wide skill or age variance between the two players.

For the various hidden objective cards, obviously remove the cards from the deck that apply to zones not in play.

Regarding human huts: I've been using 4 huts in southern African 2-player. The huts don't start being placed until turn 4 and can be placed in any province, regardless of production value. Can modify start round and number of huts used to personal preference.

My two cents on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.