Subject: Is it too long for what it is, or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying this game is in my head for very long.
I am almost sure i would love it.
The only thing bothers me is time of play.
I love deckbuilders but more then 1,5 hour for deckbuilder is too much for me. Generally i do not play games logger then 2,5 hours. The question i ask myself and you now is: can game with such mechanism in its core can be fun to play? Is not borring to shuffle and put all those same tokens to The same spots all over again and again more then 1,5 hour. We played Scythe less then 2 hours last time.
So, is Altiplano too long for what it is or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Q
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal opinion:
- played the first game with a setup that shortens it a little bit (described as „approved” setup variant for beginners) and my thought was that I would not like to play it the regular way by then. Then I played twice with regular setup to get the feeling of how it is supposed to be with the slow beginning...

Now I am after five plays and last two games felt... to short! I am still figuring it out ( playing each game with a different starting worker). It really gives different starting point and, of course you can direct your gameplay anyway you want, but certain strategies are simply easier with given starting „input vector”.

Having that said my conclusion would be: I sill miserably suck in Altiplano, I have a huge desire to make yet another attempt to make some progrees, and even I thought multiple solitare would put me off it is a hell lot of fun puzzle. The game has its „phases” (timing of when you have enough food, time of putting things to warehouse, progressing on the road track, buying houses, completing contracts) so overall doesn’t fell like doing same stuff for the whole game to me. For now it’s one of those game that somehow makes me forget about looking at watch and even if it might take like 2h with 3-4 players (less than 1.5h with two - only played with two), the time just flies and you do not notice that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.