Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some that say always get a new game over an expansion to an existing game in your collection. There are some who feel compelled to have every expansion for every game in their collection. There are many who feel 'it depends'.

Board game expansions either add more complexity (new rules, additional mechanisms, more involved turns, new ways to score, etc.), swap out base game material (which you may or may not have liked) for something different, or just give you more of same (expand a card set, bigger map, add another player, etc.). All of this can be exciting, but how much does it improve the base game? Or does it improve it at all? Maybe some even makes you like the game less?

I think it's safe to say that not all expansions 'improve' their base game counterparts. Perhaps only a handful of popular game expansions would be unanimously (or almost) agreed upon as being great additions to the base game. Even fewer could be heralded as 'essential' to making the base game what it should be.

In you mind, what are these incredible expansions? Which game expansions do you think **everyone** would agree are critical to getting the most out of a particular base game? Think in terms of not just substantial improvement, but which expansions made a game go from okay to totally awesome? Which expansions transformed a 'broken' game to a terrific experience? There probably aren't many of these situations, but Id like to know what you think they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harris
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two I consider essential are:

Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport
Champions of Midgard: Valhalla

Both of these make the original game so much better! Playing without them is a major step back.

I also particularly like:

Ticket to Ride: USA 1910

The larger cards alone are worth it! But it does add quite a bit on top of that.

Finally, I also hear Clash of Cultures: Civilizations is essential, but never having played with it, I can’t verify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Incurrsion and Cosmic Dominion, equally.
Incurrsion adds a 6th player and good aliens, Dominion adds AWESOME aliens and the rewards deck. These both dramatically enhance an already great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the Fire and Ice expansion for Terra Mystica is a must have. It adds interesting faction, a turn-order mechanism that's worth the price alone, and a new board that's been re-balanced for higher player counts and a B side that's just different and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Lam
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm is a must-have for Kingsburg, which is probably why Kingsburg (Second Edition) includes both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Champions of Midgard - Valhalla is essential. Dark Mountains is just nice to have.

7 Wonders - Leaders is essential. Cities is just nice to have.

Orleans - Trade and Intrigue is essential. Invasion is take or leave.

Near and Far - Amber Mines is essential.

Castle Panic - Wizard's Tower and Dark Titan are essential. Engines of War is so-so.

King of Tokyo/New York - Power Up expansions are essential.

Eminent Domain - Escalation is essential. Others are nice to have.

If you can't tell, I'm a big proponent of adding new ways to play the games I love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my small collection there are a few I can note.

Legendary: Dark City is a great expansion for Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building adventure as the base game is too easy to win, just not enough tension. Dark City has resolved thay. I have lost once, tied once and won once so far with Dark City.

Carcassonne’s Traders and Builders is an expansion I prefer to Inns and Cathedrals because it actually adds new mechanics and not just bigger ways to get points without any real mechanic changes like Inns and Cathedrals. I do have both though.

Scoundrels of Skullport is a great expansion for Lords of Waterdeep that really adds a lot more to the base game with a variety of lords and new locations/quests/intrigue cards.

I enjoy Elder sign, but had the same problem as Legendary with being too easy in the base game. I picked up Gates of Arkham and boy oh boy did they fix that! One of the complaints about GoAis it’s too hard, but I have gotten nail-bitingly close to winning so I don’t feel like I’m getting crushed each time.

I will add that I personally don’t plan to get every expansion for every game I own. I don’t want any more Carcassonne expansions, maybe only a couple more Legendary expansions and that’s it for now. I think there is such a thing as too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Lam
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dismas wrote:
Champions of Midgard - Valhalla is essential. Dark Mountains is just nice to have.

7 Wonders - Leaders is essential. Cities is just nice to have.

Orleans - Trade and Intrigue is essential. Invasion is take or leave.

Near and Far - Amber Mines is essential.

Castle Panic - Wizard's Tower and Dark Titan are essential. Engines of War is so-so.

King of Tokyo/New York - Power Up expansions are essential.

Eminent Domain - Escalation is essential. Others are nice to have.

If you can't tell, I'm a big proponent of adding new ways to play the games I love.

Yes agreed, +1 to King Of Tokyo and Power Up.

I would also assume Valhalla is a must have too for CoM. I've read as such but I'm waiting to find out myself (just ordered it yesterday).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Player: Monsters & Minions is kinda of a needed expansion otherwise to me the game has no point

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Pegasus Expansion While I don't like the game this expansion has my waifu Cain in it and the addition of a new ship doesn't really add much length but so many more options

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic: On the Brink
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I use expansions with is Carcassonne. I never play without Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals and Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders.

I bought a bunch of extra player boards for The Castles of Burgundy and some new tiles, but I'm equally as content without them.

I bought the orange god tiles for Bora Bora and don't need them either.

I play my games many many times, probably 100+ for Carcassonne and 75+ for Castles of Burgundy and 25+ for Bora Bora. I will continue to play those three for years without getting tired of them and moving on to other games.

I have trouble understanding why some gamers play their games less than 10 times each yet want to have all the expansions. That's a lot of money that could be spent on other games, vacations, restaurants, a new washing machine, what have you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Phelps
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore Is an essential expansion imo, it nearly doubles the mysteries and research encounters of the 4 AO's from the base game. Allowing far greater variability.

I would also say Scythe: Invaders from Afaris essential because I hate that there are two starting locations on the base board that are unusable without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
I have trouble understanding why some gamers play their games less than 10 times each yet want to have all the expansions. That's a lot of money that could be spent on other games, vacations, restaurants, a new washing machine, what have you.

Different strokes for different folks. I’d rather not play than play Carcassonne 100 times, and find variety to be the spice of life. I think restaurants are a waste of money when I can just as easily cook better (and more nutritional) meals at home.

Thankfully we can both play games and spend our money how we like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Put me in the camp that isn't a fan of most expansions. In particular, I don't usually like expansions that add lots of new choices, rules, special powers, options, etc. I know lots of people love those, but I feel they often enjoy the simplicity and balance of the original.

What I do enjoy are the "more of the same" expansions. Extra maps for Ticket to Ride or Power Grid for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Petersburg: New Society & Banquet Expansion - The New Society ONLY, improves the imbalance in Saint Petersburg and many feel the game should ALWAYS be played with this expansion. This is for the 1st edition of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be interested in this GeekList:

The 50 best game expansions of all time according to bgg users votes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ward
msg tools
mb
Tuscany: Essential Edition. The base game doesn't feel complete without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba: El Presidente

The Pillars of the Earth: Expansion Set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No such thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
I am more likely to buy a game if it has expansions.

I do extensive research before making purchases (with the exception of Raxxon, and I was mildly burnt by that), so I already have an idea that I'll like what I'm getting. Thus, if I know there's expansion material out there, it may swing my purchase.

Also expansions are a great way to continue the collecting part of this hobby without increasing physical space that my collection is taking up (I combine expansions into base game boxes or vice versa depending on the situation).

As far as "Must-Have?"

Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham
Seasons: Path of Destiny

These are the definite two in my collection that I don't ever play the base game without. In Elder Signs case: Gates of Arkham completely changes the adventure deck and adds a few extra goodies that completely liven up the game. For Seasons, the Path of Destiny has the best cards of the two expansions but I really love the Destiny Die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Invaders from Afar for Scythe if you like Green or Purple.

Notre Dame new people, though that's included in the latest edition.

I guess that's all I'd "must buy."

Race for the galaxy is greatly enhanced by expansions but I have still played the base game thousands of times.

Twilight Imperium 3, but there's a new edition which could just be as good.

Games I rate 10 but haven't even had to try the expansions yet because I love them so much: Keyflower and War of the Ring.

(Leaving out games that are obviously meant to be expanded, FFG)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dismas wrote:

I actually don't care for the Valhalla expansion because I feel it throws the balance of the game (particularly in scoring) off a bit. It does add some neat stuff and I'll play with it if I have to...but I prefer the game without it.

deehizzle wrote:

1910 is pretty durn close to being essential in my eyes as well. I think it makes the game's balance even tighter and being able to properly and more easily shuffle the train cards is a bigger deal than it sounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madslaust wrote:

I came here to say this. The bioterrorist variant is meh, the mutation variant is a little odd at first, but the virulent strain variant is great. And it is worth getting for the extra roles and events it comes with alone. If it didn't have any of the other modules it would still be a must have.

I would also say getting an expansion or two for Smash Up is a must if you play a lot to add some more variety. Doesn't really matter which ones you get as long as you get a couple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd B
United States
Kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Who is John Galt?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you own Star Wars: Rebellion, then Star Wars: Rebellion – Rise of the Empire is a must buy. Greatly improves the combat of the original game, and includes a lot of new content based around Rogue One.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ellis
Canada
Vernon
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming is a lifestyle choice.
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars: Banners of War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.