36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

GKR: Heavy Hitters» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: Stole my money? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Title [+] Misleading [+] [View All]
john geary
msg tools
After backing the "Painter's Edition" on Kickstarter, I failed to fill out their survey on time.
Because of this, they will not ship, refund, or respond.

Are they allowed to do this?
Their survey states, "If we do not receive your confirmation, we will take this as your consent that you are happy to proceed with an alternative shipping arrangement at your cost".
Never once did it warn me that I will not receive the item that I paid for.

Thanks for any feedback,
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Have you tried contacting them on the KS page? That is pretty messed up if they do not respond. They just sent out an update regarding replacement parts. Your game is like...one big...replacement part in a sense....with out the "re". Contact them thru direct message or by posting in the comments section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johng12345 wrote:

Given that they "won't respond", how do you know they "will not ship" or "refund"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark etwell
Canada
Aurora
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same issue here. Kickstarter replies says use support box. No replies from the support box either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john geary
msg tools
They said I'm SOL, then stopped responding

Phantomwhale wrote:
Johng12345 wrote:

Given that they "won't respond", how do you know they "will not ship" or "refund"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Silveira
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven’t received my game yet either, they have been slow to answer and I’m hoping it’s only because they are super business right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john geary
msg tools
Horrible company.
Is that even legal?
Their campaign said that if I give them $150, they will give me the game, stretch goals, extras...
Didn't say anything about give them $150 plus sift through all those stupid ass emails to find and fill out a survey.
I gave them the $150, now they are saying that because we didn't fill out this extra survey they are just going to keep our money.

retrowiz wrote:
Same issue here. Kickstarter replies says use support box. No replies from the support box either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johng12345 wrote:
Horrible company.
Is that even legal?
Their campaign said that if I give them $150, they will give me the game, stretch goals, extras...
Didn't say anything about give them $150 plus sift through all those stupid ass emails to find and fill out a survey.
I gave them the $150, now they are saying that because we didn't fill out this extra survey they are just going to keep our money.

Have you never dealt with Kickstarters before?

Kickstarters are not a store. Without a survey, how would you think that they would even know where to ship it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are also a huge, well known international company. I doubt they are directly ignoring you. They are super busy at the moment trying to get everything shipped out and fix any problems. If you failed to fill out the survey, that's honestly all on you. They will get to you eventually and you will get your game, but thanks to you not filling out the survey on time (which they reminded people numerous times over several months to do) you are likely at the back of the line for shipments along with anyone else who ignored their messages to fill it out.

Happens all the time with Kickstarters. They have thousands of other customers who did take the time to follow instructions who need to be taken care of before they get to fixing your mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john geary
msg tools
Hi,
Nope, I hadn't dealt with Kickstarters before.
I messaged them and offered my address, but they said that it was too late.
I do not think that that is a well enough excuse to just keep my money.
I don't see why it wouldn't be fair to just refund my money. I still helped make their game possible and me missing the survey didn't cost them anything.
Really just seems like an excuse to scam me.

Sarimrune wrote:
Johng12345 wrote:
Horrible company.
Is that even legal?

Have you never dealt with Kickstarters before?

Kickstarters are not a store. Without a survey, how would you think that they would even know where to ship it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john geary
msg tools
I am sure they are busy, we are all busy.
They still need to respond. I have sent them 3 emails in the past month and it has been dead air. It really does not take long to write a response.
I wouldn't lean so heavy on it being 100% my mistake. I didn't know about a survey and they didn't warn me about a survey. They said "give me money, I give you game". After 20 of those idiot emails with them talking like a robot came through, I filtered them to spam and missed the survey.

Ender02 wrote:
They are also a huge, well known international company. I doubt they are directly ignoring you. They are super busy at the moment trying to get everything shipped out and fix any problems. If you failed to fill out the survey, that's honestly all on you. They will get to you eventually and you will get your game, but thanks to you not filling out the survey on time (which they reminded people numerous times over several months to do) you are likely at the back of the line for shipments along with anyone else who ignored their messages to fill it out.

Happens all the time with Kickstarters. They have thousands of other customers who did take the time to follow instructions who need to be taken care of before they get to fixing your mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Seymour
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Jakub Rozalski Did Nothing Wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you filter something you backed to spam? If you didn't want the emails, why would you back a project?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john geary
msg tools
I didn't want the emails, I did want the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brooks
United States
Katy
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johng12345 wrote:
I am sure they are busy, we are all busy.
They still need to respond. I have sent them 3 emails in the past month and it has been dead air. It really does not take long to write a response.
I wouldn't lean so heavy on it being 100% my mistake. I didn't know about a survey and they didn't warn me about a survey. They said "give me money, I give you game". After 20 of those idiot emails with them talking like a robot came through, I filtered them to spam and missed the survey.

It talks about a pledge manager on the main campaign page, the FAQ talks about a pledge manager, a lot of the updates mention the pledge manager (including ones primarily, if not exclusively, about the pledge manager) and I am sure they mentioned the pledge manager numerous times in the comments section too.

Regarding them not giving you your money back, there's this right on the campaign page too:
wrote:
Cancellations and Refunds Policy

We know that sometimes, situations change. Maybe you’ve spent all your pocket money getting the rust off your Recon Unit. Maybe you bet the house on King Wolf winning Division One. Whatever the reason, if you find yourself seeking a refund, here’s what we offer:

You may cancel your order at any time during the funding phase. We recommend you have a quick read of the Kickstarter terms and conditions before you pledge – they can be found here.

All pledges are binding at the closure of the GKR: Heavy Hitters Kickstarter. After this time, no refunds or alterations will be available.

If you receive a damaged item, you may return it for a replacement. All replacements are subject to availability and proof of damage. If no replacement is available, we’ll refund you in full.

So I am not surprised they declined a refund to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john geary
msg tools
It also says,
"If we do not receive your confirmation, we will take this as your consent that you are happy to proceed with an alternative shipping arrangement at your cost".
I am down with that. Seems like they are not giving me that option, though.

I really don't think that I am wrong in thinking that there is some other option besides them getting to keep my $150.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Carlson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johng12345 wrote:
It also says,
"If we do not receive your confirmation, we will take this as your consent that you are happy to proceed with an alternative shipping arrangement at your cost".
I am down with that. Seems like they are not giving me that option, though.

I really don't think that I am wrong in thinking that there is some other option besides them getting to keep my $150.

That sounds reasonable. Some campaigns specifically list that not filling out the pledge manager in a timely manner would count as you abandoning your pledge (with no fulfillment required), I don't see that kind of disclaimer on their page however. Best of luck coming to an equitable solution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johng12345 wrote:

Sorry to say this, but the fault is entirely yours in this case.

You are an adult, I presume. As such, it is your responsibility to at least do some investigation into a new payment process that you are unfamiliar with (Kickstarter in this case). Kickstarter is a platform for companies but it doesn’t give them all the required information. They use surveys after the fact to confirm details.

It is absolutely your responsibility to confirm those details. The company gave you every opportunity to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Carlson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
Johng12345 wrote:

Sorry to say this, but the fault is entirely yours in this case.

You are an adult, I presume. As such, it is your responsibility to at least do some investigation into a new payment process that you are unfamiliar with (Kickstarter in this case). Kickstarter is a platform for companies but it doesn’t give them all the required information. They use surveys after the fact to confirm details.

It is absolutely your responsibility to confirm those details. The company gave you every opportunity to do so.

I totally agree it's the poster's fault he hasn't received his pledge to date, and from the kickstarter page it appears that if he wants to receive it he'll be responsible for paying for shipping, as the company is from New Zealand, that will probably be pretty costly. However, the page says that all pledges are binding (that binds the creator as well) and the creator says that "If we do not receive your confirmation, we will take this as your consent that you are happy to proceed with an alternative shipping arrangement at your cost." so since these are the terms the creator established they should honor them as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ender02 wrote:

Although much what you are saying is correct, you seem to have a lack of empathy. I'm sure he will have an extended wait due to his tardiness in completing the survey. But "No response" from a company after repeated tries is not acceptable nor is just taking this person's money. I'm sure you can say "Rules are Rules" and they are under no obligation to help him. Not my problem. Often there is a way to get the product to the backer although it might incurr additional charges for shipping and extended waiting. This is where "good" customer service comes in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph C
msg tools
Yeah, that sucks man. Arrogant of them really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Chaves
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Arrogant of them to have expected him to have filled out his survey on time? Or is it arrogant of them to be dealing with the issues that have cropped up with fulfillment and have been unable to really deal with him getting in touch after the fact yet? After all, if they're having trouble with their planned shipping they certainly aren't setting up anything alternate yet. I don't think it's arrogant at all, though I agree that it sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph C
msg tools
Well no, arrogant for telling him that he's SOL and they're not talking to him anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oscar1001 wrote:
Well no, arrogant for telling him that he's SOL and they're not talking to him anymore.

Personally, I would like to see the actual communication between Weta and the OP. There are three sides to things: Weta, the OP and the truth. The OP has negative feelings towards Weta and will likely slant the conversation towards what favours his own opinion.

I’ve found, big or small, many companies take their sweet time when dealing with individuals. There is often a lot going on, so I don’t always fault them for this.

Regardless, I hope that the OP and Weta come to some sort of arrangement. From Weta’s point of view, they need to collect survey data to know how many sets to print and how many extras will be needed for damage/replacements/etc. Additionally there needs to be retail considerations.

Since the OP failed to fill out the survey, I can see them waiting until all other fullfilment is done, then getting him his copy. This could be months down the road. Regardless, I do hope that the OP gets his copy. But I have to strongly disagree that this is in any way the Weta’s fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Enns
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand the part about "all the emails"

He stated that this was his first kickstarter ever
There is a tremendous volume of information on the campaign page which could be very confusing and difficult to disseminate what is and what isn't important to know. When Pledge Managers first came out I didn't know what a "Pledge Manager" was and what it was for. I steered away from those campaigns as the way it was explained with add ons, shipping, stretch goals for this pledge level and but not for that pledge level, it was unknown territory that I didn't wish to learn about the hard way with my pocketbook.

Like the OP said, they said "Give us your money, we'll give you our game". Maybe there should be a clear and concise listing explaining what would happen at the end of the campaign and the exact steps needed to ensure proper "delivery" ( most campaigns use the term "fulfillment" ).

There are my thoughts

Johng12345 wrote:
Horrible company.
Is that even legal?

retrowiz wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
syliconslycer wrote:
I can understand the part about "all the emails"

He stated that this was his first kickstarter ever
There is a tremendous volume of information on the campaign page which could be very confusing and difficult to disseminate what is and what isn't important to know. When Pledge Managers first came out I didn't know what a "Pledge Manager" was and what it was for. I steered away from those campaigns as the way it was explained with add ons, shipping, stretch goals for this pledge level and but not for that pledge level, it was unknown territory that I didn't wish to learn about the hard way with my pocketbook.

Like the OP said, they said "Give us your money, we'll give you our game". Maybe there should be a clear and concise listing explaining what would happen at the end of the campaign and the exact steps needed to ensure proper "delivery" ( most campaigns use the term "fulfillment" ).

There are my thoughts

Johng12345 wrote:
Horrible company.
Is that even legal?

retrowiz wrote:

You make it sound like the OP just needed to throw money at the screen and expect everything to arrive with no effort required on his part. That is just not how anything works.

Everything in life requires some effort. Each party in an exchange has responsibilities on their end. It was not Weta's responsibility to walk anyone that was new to Kickstarter through the whole Kickstarter process. We all wear big boy pants and if we want to back Kickstarters it is our responsibility to understand the process.

There are plenty of ways to find out the process, Google it, ask on the comments, look at any other Kickstarter project I'd bet someone asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.