Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 2 games (both 3 player) and ONE monster has been killed. The other 2 games just saw players trying to take over 2 lands. Also, only ONE quest has ever been completed. What are we doing wrong?

I saw people early on saying monster slaying was the predominant victory, but it seems all of us are too afraid to start the monster battle because 1) We don't have all the cards we need, 2) We're too afraid that we get it down to just one or two wounds left, leaving an easy kill for another player, and 3) If we fail we can't try again until our "Hunt" is available again. So how are people so easily able to kill 3 monsters in this game before another player controls 2 lands?

Regarding quests, are we doing it right that each step with 2 symbols means it requires BOTH criteria be met to start the quest, not OR?

Also, what is the harm with allowing all temples to be built regardless of number of players? It seems it could make a temple victory more likely.

Please advise. The game will not have much staying power if all players keep going for the same win condition every game, and ignore monsters and quests.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you start a quest, you move up every turn for your hero movement. It doesn't matter if you have the requirements or not. Only to start a quest do you need the requirements.

As someone who've played the game a lot. Hunter monsters is not the easiest way to win. It just seems that way for players who play peaceful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but for those starting quest steps with 2 symbols, you need BOTH, right? It's not either/or, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
ebridge wrote:

Also, what is the harm with allowing all temples to be built regardless of number of players? It seems it could make a temple victory more likely.

Is there any restriction on number of temples built ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
Thanks, but for those starting quest steps with 2 symbols, you need BOTH, right? It's not either/or, correct?

Correct. Usually they are not too hard to start. There are a couple that are rough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
We've played 2 games (both 3 player) and ONE monster has been killed. The other 2 games just saw players trying to take over 2 lands. Also, only ONE quest has ever been completed. What are we doing wrong?

Groupthink plays a big role in players perceived ease of victory conditions. If everyone thinks quests and monsters are not worth their time, game will end in 2 land victory or stalls for a monument victory.

Between the threads here on bgg and the facebook group, I can’t tell you how many I’ve read having difficulty seeing how other victory conditions are possible. Some say game ends in monster hunt too many times, others say monument victory is too easy, some say 2 land/5 temple happens too often. I wish you all played each other; it would make for an awesome game.

I don’t think you are doing anything wrong per se. You might just need to play more, but what you aren’t doing, is exploring other facets of the game to find they are excellent avenues to victory.

I almost don’t want to spoil it for you, and rob you of the joy in this game, but early on, quests and monster hunts are huge. Balancing your position with the 4 victory conditions AND keeping track of your opponent’s 4 victory conditions IS the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dexter Alcon
msg tools
ebridge wrote:

There is a quest that have an or condition, the one that has a "/" on the requirements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.