3 Posts

The Lamps Are Going Out» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Collapsing Russia in 1916? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Bailey
msg tools
mbmb
I've a couple of posts stating that Germany can collapse Russia in 1916 by building big army numbers in the first 2 turns and then invading.

I would very much like to hear more about this strategy to assess it because I don't think the limits on total armies available allow it.

Here's what I'd like to know: (1) does this mean ignoring the Western Front? (2) How many armies does it take to accomplish this? (I don't see how sufficient numbers can be built in the East if there is normal fighting in the West.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Gonzalez
Portugal
Estoril
PORTUGAL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game encourage CP player to replicate the same strategy made by Germany in 1915; bring the bulk of the German army and heavy artillery to the East front and put Russia out of the war (or game).

Without much efort and with the right moves and attacks in the Eastern map, this can be acomplished between the the middle of 1915 and the beginning of 1916.

I had played more than 10 "TLAGO" with two different oponents and (in games ending with CP victory) I do not remember seeing Russia surviving beyond 1917.

Things can become trickier if the initial German attack on the Western Front (Schlieffen Plan) runs too well and the germans conquer the Somme zone in the first Turn leaving the CP player obsessed with the conquest of the vital allied zone of Paris.
If this situation persists and the CP player does not timely reorient resources to the eastern front (allowing Russia to stay on Poland's borders), then a Russian offensive can take place with strong hypotheses of conquering Berlim and ending the war (just like it happened in one of our games!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bailey
msg tools
mbmb
OK, so you are saying that as the CP you should not attempt to capture the Somme on turns 1 or 2, but take Belgium, and put the majority of your builds in the east.

I think the tactical approach after that is, after building the big German force in the east, the Russians are hit repeatedly to deplete their forces beyond their rebuild capacity, but not make them retreat because this allows the Russian to use his strategic moves effectively.

Doing this eventually results in a very weak Russian front line in several areas, and the over-stretched Russian line allows Germany to smash through one of them and race toward victory.

If this is combined with AH pressure (an advance allows pulling German units for adjacent areas into the new forward area and the German gets to attack before the Russian turn), then the conquest could happen very quickly indeed.

*Then*, once Russia is out, all German forces go the west and pummel the Allies before the US gets into the war.

This is very similar to the strategy that "broke" the SPI game "World War 1."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.