Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Guerra
United States
Eagle pass
Texas
flag msg tools

Playing against Lijah

on the next to last turn (drew the last red terror card so at the end of this conversation phase the gold pivotal event card was next).

I managed to rescue all hostages alive , no deaths. The secret tunnel escape demand was active so when the last hostage was rescued i did a threat roll to see if Lijah escaped.

The roll was a success so she did not escape. (at this point im unsure if a success on secret passage means its a capture? ) the card reads that the abdutctor fails to escape. but it doesnt say it is captured either so i ruled that the game continued.

i drew the pivotal event card that reduced my hand to 4. so i started my last turn.

The threat level was at like 5 or 6 and i did not have any cards in my hand that would allow me to rescue another hostage ( meaning a capture since no hostages left), i had no cards to kill the abductor either, and my rolls sucked and i couldnt get enough points to buy any cards in a last ditch effort to win it in the last turn.

so i ended the last turn of the game with the abductor alive , uncaptured but with all hostages freed and the secret tunnel blocked.

how did i lose!?

makes no sense...

still had a blast playing tho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waramir wrote:

still had a blast playing tho

HA, I clicked on this link only to chime in with a "If you had fun, you didn't lose!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't you just spent all four cards for conversation points (played face down), then buy the 3-point card that might rescue up to two hostages plus a 1-point reroll? Should give a decent shot at winning, shouldn't it?

Disclaimer: I'm pretty new to Hostage Negotiator and I'm not close to my copy, so the advice might be incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously a rare technicality glitch. Hostages rescued & escape blocked can not be a loss. Thematically you could say that the Abductor "committed suicide" seeing there was no escape & no hostages for leverage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guerra
United States
Eagle pass
Texas
flag msg tools
pinoeppel wrote:
Couldn't you just spent all four cards for conversation points (played face down), then buy the 3-point card that might rescue up to two hostages plus a 1-point reroll? Should give a decent shot at winning, shouldn't it?

Disclaimer: I'm pretty new to Hostage Negotiator and I'm not close to my copy, so the advice might be incorrect.

i should have yes...

at the time i had like 2 cards that gave +3/+2 points and 1 card that gave +2/+1 points and 1 reroll.

i figured that i could at least get enough points to do something, but i didnt roll a single success on that round.

i gambled... and i lost...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guerra
United States
Eagle pass
Texas
flag msg tools
Grejam53 wrote:
Obviously a rare technicality glitch. Hostages rescued & escape blocked can not be a loss. Thematically you could say that the Abductor "committed suicide" seeing there was no escape & no hostages for leverage.

thats what i rationalize it would happen.

thematically makes sense since all hostages are rescued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After resolving the pivotal event, you are permitted to recover all of your 0 cost cards from the market (but not any cards in the discard pile, due to the Pivotal Event). I'm not sure if you did this.

When you are forced to abandon a game due to not being able to do anything, the storyline has the abductor escaping and unfortunately, yes, it does count as a loss. The secret passage escape attempt failed, but the abductor found another way to get away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
After resolving the pivotal event, you are permitted to recover all of your 0 cost cards from the market (but not any cards in the discard pile, due to the Pivotal Event). I'm not sure if you did this.

When you are forced to abandon a game due to not being able to do anything, the storyline has the abductor escaping and unfortunately, yes, it does count as a loss. The secret escape attempt failed, but the abductor found another way to get away.

Peter is spot on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:

When you are forced to abandon a game due to not being able to do anything, the storyline has the abductor escaping and unfortunately, yes, it does count as a loss. The secret escape attempt failed, but the abductor found another way to get away.

Ah! Didn't think of that. Too bad, I kinda like the idea of the perp offing her or himself in a trapped situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grejam53 wrote:

Ah! Didn't think of that. Too bad, I kinda like the idea of the perp offing her or himself in a trapped situation.

Some of them do surrender when there are no hostages left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis (just my village's name)
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is no tie in the game. Either you lose or win. Tie conditions are always in favor of the abductor (at least that's how I play it in order to resolve some situations)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Grejam53 wrote:

Some of them do surrender when there are no hostages left.

Yep. I just played against Connor Ogden and had rescued all the hostages (Connor killed one though). But it was literally down to the Pivotal Moment and my last card play that I was able to get him to surrender. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a related point.

Same Escape demand but in this scenario, there is 1 hostage left (with over 50% of hostages rescued already). If I play a card and successfully extract two hostages - what would happen?

That last remaining hostage gets rescued. That much is clear. Then I assume you would roll for the Escape demand.

Assuming you pass that threat roll, do you then automatically win as the second hostage rescued means that the abductor surrenders (i.e. the normal situation if you didn't have that Escape demand)?

Or does that second hostage rescue get cancelled as a result of the Escape demand?

I'm assuming you win if you pass the Escape demand threat roll but wanted to check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. You would win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.