4 Posts

Tribes: Early Civilization» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant way to integrate physical strength rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl Morris
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've not actually picked up this one yet - waiting to see the differences in the Kosmos release. I have watched the runthroughs though and am really impressed in the distillation of theme and mechanics that comes across.

One thing that maybe was a surprise was the way physical 'attack' strength was integrated through the victory point 'contest' cards. Totally get how this ties into it providing a streamlined 'euro' experience. However, I can't help thinking of variant ways in which to more thematically integrate this skill.

One thought is to actually build up the settlement together. When building/expanding the world, you'd add hexes to a unified map. There would be tactics in the optimal way to place hexes (and also raze hexes) so as to deny your opponents access to the resources. Then an additional "attack" tile could be present in the row similar to explore, grow and move. This would allow direct competition over valuable hexes.

Attack could be deterministic - the party with the highest physical strength wins and removes as many villages from the attacked hex as the difference in strength score. If all villages are removed, the attacking player can move into the hex. A defensive player could counter this threat by placing many villages on valuable hexes.

Did anyone think of similar kinds of things? Do you think it would make an interesting variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dwsmorris wrote:
I've not actually picked up this one yet - waiting to see the differences in the Kosmos release. I have watched the runthroughs though and am really impressed in the distillation of theme and mechanics that comes across.

One thing that maybe was a surprise was the way physical 'attack' strength was integrated through the victory point 'contest' cards. Totally get how this ties into it providing a streamlined 'euro' experience. However, I can't help thinking of variant ways in which to more thematically integrate this skill.

One thought is to actually build up the settlement together. When building/expanding the world, you'd add hexes to a unified map. There would be tactics in the optimal way to place hexes (and also raze hexes) so as to deny your opponents access to the resources. Then an additional "attack" tile could be present in the row similar to explore, grow and move. This would allow direct competition over valuable hexes.

Attack could be deterministic - the party with the highest physical strength wins and removes as many villages from the attacked hex as the difference in strength score. If all villages are removed, the attacking player can move into the hex. A defensive player could counter this threat by placing many villages on valuable hexes.

Did anyone think of similar kinds of things? Do you think it would make an interesting variant?

Hi Darryl,

I have thought along your lines of actually using a single map. Although for me it felt almost like another game. You would have to handle the interaction and take decision how to handle stuff like player elimination.

My idea was to simply allow everyone to be present on the same map, the interaction was that anyone with presens in a hex could exhaust it.

-- Magnus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many other games that have a common map Not having a common map was one of the starting points of this game, as it allows more complexity and interaction in the other parts of the game.

If you add a common map to Tribes, if there is to be any form of interesting interaction as a result of the map, you either need to make the game a lot longer or remove some other parts.

My main issue with most "dudes on a map" games is the time spent on handling resources for dudes, upgrading dudes, maneuvering dudes and rolling dice (or similar resolutions) for combat between dudes. Very little of the times spent on all this are actual interesting and interactive decisions. It looks like it is interactive, but the main thing you decide is mostly who to attack and when.

The more interesting dudes on a map games are often very long and hard to get to the table. I am working on other dudes on a map games that tries to tackle this in other ways, but it is really tricky to get as much interesting choices as I want and still have both a manageable play time and rules complexity.

I like Cry Havoc, it is very different from anything I would design myself, it fully embraces the other end of the directions I tend to go towards on so many levels, but have found it very hard to get to the table.

I'd be happy to see what you come up with for a common map though! A very simple use for strength could be that a stronger tribe can push a weak tribe out of a hex, and choose where to push it to. A problem would be that exploration would be much weaker, if someone can just move to what you explored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Morris
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you both for you comments! Very interesting.

I suppose ultimately, the design aims to make the game fun, so you have to offset how thematic the mechanics are against how they make the game feel. Player elimination isn't fun, and a lot of take-that is an acquired taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.