Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie questions about mission cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zen Shrugs
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
So far I've played three games of SW:R--all three using the 'first game setup' because there was a new player involved in each game. Sadly due to time only one of the three games reached a conclusion, but it was a suitably dramatic finale that saw the Rebels save Alderaan from certain destruction by jumping into the system and blowing up the Death Star.

A couple of questions came up during the games:

1a. If a mission card lets you place units on the build queue using a system's resource icons and number, can this be done even if you wouldn't normally be able to build from it? (e.g. it has Rebel loyalty but is subjugated?) I think so, since it doesn't use the verbs 'build' or 'deploy', but I'm not quite sure.

1b. I would assume a sabotage marker in the system effectively means there are no resource icons in the system while the marker is there. So you can't use the above cards in this case. Is this correct?

2. What do you do with an assigned mission that for some reason becomes impossible to carry out later in the Command phase? Must it stay hidden (meaning you must reveal a different mission, activate a system, or pass)? Or can you reveal it, do nothing with it, and count that as your turn?

Example:

In one game, I suspected that the Empire would try to capture one of my leaders that turn, so I assigned a Rebel leader to a rescue mission just in case. (Can't remember the card name, sorry--it's the card with art showing Leia curled up in a cell. If I recall correctly, you have to attempt this card in a system with a captured leader.)

During the Command phase, the Empire did try to capture a Rebel, but I opposed and prevented the attempt. I therefore had no captured leaders on the board at any time during the Command phase.

Late in the Command phase, I had only two leaders left to use: the leader on the still-hidden rescue mission card, and Leia in the leader pool. The Empire had several leaders still to take their turns.

I wanted to keep Leia in reserve as long as possible so I'd have a chance to oppose whatever the Empire was up to. Therefore I wanted to reveal the rescue mission first. (NB: I didn't realise at the time that you can pass but still oppose missions--I thought that if I passed, I couldn't do anything else for the remainder of the phase.)

However, since there was no captured leader on the board, I couldn't actually carry out the rescue mission. I couldn't send the leader anywhere.

What happens in this case? Is it treated like a mission for which the leader is ineligible due to lack of skill icons--I must keep it hidden and choose another leader to send/activate? (We decided on this ruling, so I was forced to either use Leia to activate a system or pass.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenshrugs wrote:
So far I've played three games of SW:R--all three using the 'first game setup' because there was a new player involved in each game. Sadly due to time only one of the three games reached a conclusion, but it was a suitably dramatic finale that saw the Rebels save Alderaan from certain destruction by jumping into the system and blowing up the Death Star.

A couple of questions came up during the games:

1a. If a mission card lets you place units on the build queue using a system's resource icons and number, can this be done even if you wouldn't normally be able to build from it? (e.g. it has Rebel loyalty but is subjugated?) I think so, since it doesn't use the verbs 'build' or 'deploy', but I'm not quite sure.

Generally adding units to the BQ is not stopped by units or loyalty (or i think sabotage - unless the card says so). THe mission will specify what type of system it needs to be (imperial, not sabotaged, imperial loyal, etc)

Quote:

1b. I would assume a sabotage marker in the system effectively means there are no resource icons in the system while the marker is there. So you can't use the above cards in this case. Is this correct?

It depends what the card says, I can think of at least 1 card that requires the system to not be sabotaged. I can also think of another imperial card (construct factory) that removes the sabotage when played on such a system.
Quote:

2. What do you do with an assigned mission that for some reason becomes impossible to carry out later in the Command phase? Must it stay hidden (meaning you must reveal a different mission, activate a system, or pass)? Or can you reveal it, do nothing with it, and count that as your turn?

You can always leave the leader on an unrevealed mission, even if the mission is playable. You cannot however play the mission if it isn't relevant (you can't attempt to rescue a leader if there isn't a captured one)
Quote:

Example:

In one game, I suspected that the Empire would try to capture one of my leaders that turn, so I assigned a Rebel leader to a rescue mission just in case. (Can't remember the card name, sorry--it's the card with art showing Leia curled up in a cell. If I recall correctly, you have to attempt this card in a system with a captured leader.)

During the Command phase, the Empire did try to capture a Rebel, but I opposed and prevented the attempt. I therefore had no captured leaders on the board at any time during the Command phase.

Late in the Command phase, I had only two leaders left to use: the leader on the still-hidden rescue mission card, and Leia in the leader pool. The Empire had several leaders still to take their turns.

I wanted to keep Leia in reserve as long as possible so I'd have a chance to oppose whatever the Empire was up to. Therefore I wanted to reveal the rescue mission first. (NB: I didn't realise at the time that you can pass but still oppose missions--I thought that if I passed, I couldn't do anything else for the remainder of the phase.)

You could have passed. After passing you may still send leaders to oppose missions, or send them into a battle that doesn't already include a leader with tactics.
You didn't have to put Leia down until you wanted to.
Quote:

However, since there was no captured leader on the board, I couldn't actually carry out the rescue mission. I couldn't send the leader anywhere.

What happens in this case? Is it treated like a mission for which the leader is ineligible due to lack of skill icons--I must keep it hidden and choose another leader to send/activate? (We decided on this ruling, so I was forced to either use Leia to activate a system or pass.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenshrugs wrote:

Not when Subjugated, as it is not a Rebel System, it is an Imperial System, even though it maintains Rebel Loyalty while Subjugated.

Quote:

Incorrect. There is a rule for this:
RRG - Build Units wrote:
- When an ability allows a player to place units on the build queue, these units are taken from the supply.
• If the ability is resolved in a system, it can be performed even if there is a sabotage marker in the system.

Quote:

It must remain hidden. It will return to your hand at the end of the Command Phase. You can also simply choose not to reveal one if you think it is better keeping for later due to circumstances.

Quote:

You ruled correctly. You simply cannot reveal that mission.

Take note of the above comment too, you didn't need to send Leia in. You indeed can still oppose after Passing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Shrugs
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the replies

Clipper wrote:
zenshrugs wrote:

Not when Subjugated, as it is not a Rebel System, it is an Imperial System, even though it maintains Rebel Loyalty while Subjugated.

What if the card says something like 'attempt in any populous system - if you succeed, place units on the build queue etc etc...', and you use it in a Rebel-Loyal system that has been subjugated? (I don't know if such a card exists, but hypothetical case...)

I suppose what I'm really asking is: does the phrase 'place units on the build queue' (an ability?) mean the same thing as 'build from this system'? I'm sure the Rules Reference makes all the terminology distinctions clear, but I don't have the game handy right now.

Clipper wrote:
Quote:

Incorrect. There is a rule for this:
RRG - Build Units wrote:
- When an ability allows a player to place units on the build queue, these units are taken from the supply.
• If the ability is resolved in a system, it can be performed even if there is a sabotage marker in the system.

Ah, OK. I had seen the Imperial project card that lets you remove a sabotage marker first, compared it to the standard mission card that just lets you place units on the build queue, and assumed that the sabotage marker would block the latter (which would make the former extra-powerful).

Clipper wrote:
Quote:

It must remain hidden. It will return to your hand at the end of the Command Phase. You can also simply choose not to reveal one if you think it is better keeping for later due to circumstances.

Quote:

You ruled correctly. You simply cannot reveal that mission.

Take note of the above comment too, you didn't need to send Leia in. You indeed can still oppose after Passing.

Good to know we played it correctly.

I do know you can still oppose after passing, though... as noted in my original post. (I just didn't know it until I browsed the Rules Reference after that game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenshrugs wrote:
What if the card says something like 'attempt in any populous system - if you succeed, place units on the build queue etc etc...', and you use it in a Rebel-Loyal system that has been subjugated? (I don't know if such a card exists, but hypothetical case...)

I think all the relevant cards must be attempted in Rebel Systems. Hypothetically, I guess you could get it to work.

Quote:

I suppose what I'm really asking is: does the phrase 'place units on the build queue' (an ability?) mean the same thing as 'build from this system'? I'm sure the Rules Reference makes all the terminology distinctions clear, but I don't have the game handy right now.
They mean the same thing except for the example in the prior post.

[q="Clipper"]
Quote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
zenshrugs wrote:

No, "place" units on the build queue is very different from "build" units. "Place" or "add" unit cards are unaffected by sabotage, whereas "build" or "deploy" cards are affected. And a card that says "Attempt in any populous system" is unaffected by loyalty or subjugation status. It literally means any populous system, and you will add units to the queue for both build icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.