5 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: some rules & 2 player questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeffrey simbulan
Philippines
flag msg tools
Hi guys, enjoying the game. just wanna confirm the ff.

1. just have to double check this.. i kill a zombie then rolled exposure die. if i roll frostbite, i get a frostbite correct? cos i recall someone told me if roll any other result unless blank, my survivor dies.

2. speaking of frostbite. how does it work? is it..
2.a) at the beginning of my next turn, i immediately place 1 wound token on the frostbitten survivor or..
2.b) at the beginning of my next turn, if the frostbitten survivor kills a zombie and failed an exposure die, instead of getting 1 wound, i get 2 wounds.

3. Is this legal? remove my survivor weapon. travel to other location. re-equip the weapon afterwards.
This is to avoid dropping the weapon card if the survivor 'died' attempting to travel.

4. A survivor is trying to travel from point A to point B. he failed the exposure roll and died. will the survivor equipped item drops on location A or B?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Also, we've been playing the game mostly hard mode two-player co-op. Following the 2player variant in the rulebook. But we want to rise the difficulty like..
Is it possible to play it with with hidden objective(eg 1 betrayal and 1 regular survivor). Else, anyone who has come up with their own 2player rule that is challenging?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
icalculi wrote:
Hi guys, enjoying the game. just wanna confirm the ff.

1. just have to double check this.. i kill a zombie then rolled exposure die. if i roll frostbite, i get a frostbite correct? cos i recall someone told me if roll any other result unless blank, my survivor dies.

2. speaking of frostbite. how does it work? is it..
2.a) at the beginning of my next turn, i immediately place 1 wound token on the frostbitten survivor or..
2.b) at the beginning of my next turn, if the frostbitten survivor kills a zombie and failed an exposure die, instead of getting 1 wound, i get 2 wounds.

3. Is this legal? remove my survivor weapon. travel to other location. re-equip the weapon afterwards.
This is to avoid dropping the weapon card if the survivor 'died' attempting to travel.

4. A survivor is trying to travel from point A to point B. he failed the exposure roll and died. will the survivor equipped item drops on location A or B?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Also, we've been playing the game mostly hard mode two-player co-op. Following the 2player variant in the rulebook. But we want to rise the difficulty like..
Is it possible to play it with with hidden objective(eg 1 betrayal and 1 regular survivor). Else, anyone who has come up with their own 2player rule that is challenging?

1. If you fight a zombie and roll a frostbite symbol on the exposure die, you give that survivor a frostbite wound.

2. At the beginning of your turn, if any of your survivors have a frostbite token add a regular wound token to them. If the total number of wound tokens (regular added to frostbite) is three or higher, the survivor dies — unless they have a power that let’s them take extra wounds.

3. Illegal. As stated on p. 10 of the rulebook: “Once a card is equipped it cannot be unequipped unless it is being added to a crisis or is being handed off.”

4. Items dropped by a dead survivor end up in the location to which she traveled. As stated on p. 11 of the rulebook: “Immeadiately after a survivor moves to a new location or kills a zombie, the player that controls the survivor must roll for exposure by rolling this die.” So the roll and it’s results happen AFTER the action — which is the same for Crossroads cards that are activated, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey simbulan
Philippines
flag msg tools
wmreed wrote:

1. If you fight a zombie and roll a frostbite symbol on the exposure die, you give that survivor a frostbite wound.

2. At the beginning of your turn, if any of your survivors have a frostbite token add a regular wound token to them. If the total number of wound tokens (regular added to frostbite) is three or higher, the survivor dies — unless they have a power that let’s them take extra wounds.

3. Illegal. As stated on p. 10 of the rulebook: “Once a card is equipped it cannot be unequipped unless it is being added to a crisis or is being handed off.”

4. Items dropped by a dead survivor end up in the location to which she traveled. As stated on p. 11 of the rulebook: “Immeadiately after a survivor moves to a new location or kills a zombie, the player that controls the survivor must roll for exposure by rolling this die.” So the roll and it’s results happen AFTER the action — which is the same for Crossroads cards that are activated, by the way.

1. clear. thanks!
2. clarified thanks.
3. ok. but can i "hand off" my weapon back and forth indefinitely between two survivors on the same location? (Yes i know weapons are only used once per round, but just wanna know)
4. Ok noted! So if my survivor is moving back to the colony and rolls a tooth.. it means disaster, as bite effect will spread to the colony. omg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sparks
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I am pretty sure the rules have restrictions around passing items. I believe that is something that you can do on your turn. So you could possibly trade between your own characters but I am unclear what you are trying to gain. If you are trying to avoid loosing it while traveling the 2nd character still has to get to the new location as well. When handing off it gets immediately equipped, not back in hand.
When giving to another character they are not able to give an item back to you until it is their turn, so that prevents back and forth. At most you give it to them on your turn and they give it back on their turn. One full rotation over the course of a full round.

As for harder 2-player there is the Prisoner's Dilemma variant. I have not played it yet but it gives more requirements as I call. In short you have to either complete a betrayal objective or a regular secret object (in addition to the normal rules). The change up is that you both win if you both pick your regular secret objectives. If one of you chose the betrayal objective, only the first to complete it wins. It should be available here in the forums or files sections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3. As I intercepted the rules there is no prohibition to handing it off between two of your own survivors that are at the same location. But it seems to be a colossal waste of time unless you have some weird combo of cards. Once the items “per round power” is used it cannot be used again until the next round. And I can’t ghink of an item that has a multiple uses per round power that doesn’t cost an action die.

So, 99.9% of the time I would say don’t waste time doing that. Just because you can, doesn’t make it fun or a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.