Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Another newbie rules post. Hq becoming fire team, moving unspotted units, rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neal Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after the best part of 12 hours solid play in the last 36 hours, rule checking, watching videos, quick play guides, rule checking, examples of play, playing, rule checking and then checking the rules I have finished my first game of FoF.

The rulebook is not great is it? I am aware this is not news! Or to be more exact when all the little loopholes crop up then it is either difficult to find the answer or it is omitted but as a general rule, when you get them, the rules when you get there are fairly straightforward.

The 2 that seemed to take longest ws the missing word “ammo” on the orders of battle above the word “mission”. It was a good hour trying to figure out why everyone was setting these units up that seemed to be not to play until mission 4 and the fact that it took a long time before I found the hierarchy tables that the rules referred to without saying where!

Once when you get to the stage where the game starts to click along thought, there is definitely a sense of trying to manage a whole battlefield and worry when you creep forward into new areas and you are pouring fire into enemy units and they just keep firing right back. It’s a massive time sink to learn but once you get it, I don’t think people who went into it with their eyes open will regret it. I know I haven’t so far! I am also aware I need to keep getting it out because you can’t teach yourself this game eveytime you play it!

Of course, this is FoF so I have some rule clarifications:

If an unspotted unit has to fall back due to HQ event onto a card, which by the end of priority, is onto a card with US unit they remain unspotted and switch fire to inside their new cards, right? (in fact, anytime that they move – it was just the HQ event that triggered the question for me)

If a PDF is laid down from a card due to the fact that it is mandatory and the firing cards includes HQs they become fire teams (until they flip back over) automatically as well and cease to issue orders right? If so, I get that as they are suddenly busy! (and likewise if an enemy opens fire on their card?)

If a unit carrying rifle grenades is eliminated, do the grenade get eliminated as well or do they hang around waiting to be picked up?

Although the rules reference “+” as placing units together, when mines and HMG I placed mines on the card the US unit entered and placed the HMG elsewhere as per r# placement as I think that was the intention. Correct or wrong?

Finally, there seemed to be no one step counters for the platoons that start with 3 steps. I know that there will be times that they convert into various LATS so that is ok? I’m not missing anything?

Finally, finally, when would I use the equivalent counters with the red shield in the middle rather than the helmets for the platoons? (this may be covered in the briefing books I haven’t got as far as yet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If an unspotted unit has to fall back due to HQ event onto a card, which by the end of priority, is onto a card with US unit they remain unspotted and switch fire to inside their new cards, right? (in fact, anytime that they move – it was just the HQ event that triggered the question for me)

If an unspotted unit moves it loses its unspottedness and gains an exposed marker.

Quote:
If a PDF is laid down from a card due to the fact that it is mandatory and the firing cards includes HQs they become fire teams (until they flip back over) automatically as well and cease to issue orders right? If so, I get that as they are suddenly busy! (and likewise if an enemy opens fire on their card?)

Wrong. They don’t convert automatically. They only convert when hit if the result is F. If you go through the command modifiers you will see one for being on a card under Fire.

Quote:
If a unit carrying rifle grenades is eliminated, do the grenade get eliminated as well or do they hang around waiting to be picked up?

Like any ammo counter.

Quote:
Although the rules reference “+” as placing units together, when mines and HMG I placed mines on the card the US unit entered and placed the HMG elsewhere as per r# placement as I think that was the intention. Correct or wrong?

Wrong. The encounter is at is, there are other encounters where the mines are in a different place

Quote:
Finally, there seemed to be no one step counters for the platoons that start with 3 steps. I know that there will be times that they convert into various LATS so that is ok? I’m not missing anything?

You are not missing anything, any one step remaining turns into a fire team.

Quote:
Finally, finally, when would I use the equivalent counters with the red shield in the middle rather than the helmets for the platoons? (this may be covered in the briefing books I haven’t got as far as yet)

Those are the counters for Vietnam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Quote:

Wrong. The encounter is at is, there are other encounters where the mines are in a different place

Are you sure you're not wrong? It appears to be an errata from the first edition that was not corrected in this second edition:

Fields of Fire Errata 8_17_2009.pdf wrote:
German Force Package Table (page 3)
Change packages 5 and 6 from “Mines + ” something to “Mines/” something because Mines always are placed on the triggering card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh good lord. I need to add the 2009 errata to my check list too?!!?

Thanks gents for the help...........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juno29 wrote:
abendoso wrote:
Quote:

Are you sure you're not wrong? It appears to be an errata from the first edition that was not corrected in this second edition:

Change packages 5 and 6 from “Mines + ” something to “Mines/” something because Mines always are placed on the triggering card.

Not sure, I never played it as anything different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
juno29 wrote:
abendoso wrote:
Quote:

Not sure, I never played it as anything different.

Then I also should note that the description column for rows 2 and 3 has a '+' in them while it should also be a '/' as the spotter goes on a different card (as per the placement draw on the mission sheet) from the incoming marker (which goes on the card that triggered the event). But I suppose that you were aware of this.

By the way, some doubts (induced by erratas) like this or this one were resolved with the "Fields of Fire Errata 8_17_2009.pdf", but they were not added in this 2nd Edition. Maybe you guys -members from the FoF Team- should check it before GMT puts an Errata/Clarifications PDF online for this 2nd edition (hopefully, soon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I didn't want to start a new thread so will try here first. Is this right?

Moved units into the card because it was a cas evacuate point and there was a German litter team and I anticipate capturing in the mutual capture phase. I then cease fire all units firing onto the card.

The damn team rallies at hierarchy stage. Was I right in my thinking which was :fire team lays down a VOF at my unit which doesn't VOF back because it's a one step staff with no VOF rating and they don't get captured as the Cas was not alone and the staff was in good order (until the combat phase, oops).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.