27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Lords of Hellas» Forums » General

Subject: Was Sundrop Worth It? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas McCurdy
msg tools
I cracked open my sun-dropped copy of LoH last night and was not impressed with the quality of paint job. I may be biased because Ive painted minis for years, was it worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cheston
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was terrible. On the bright side, it saved me money on the Nemesis Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So So
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Models and their design and detail is excellent. Sundrop would not be a repeat for me. I was expecting a more zenithal effect, but came out really uneven. I will probably end up priming and painting them all by hand like my other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Bruno
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
herb sawyer
United States
Chicago
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools

From someone who appreciates painted minis but does not paint them at all...

...I thought it was fine. It does make everything a little bit nicer to look at when playing. Was it worth the delay AND delay on the expansion...IMHO, no.

However, am I glad I have it because I know I'm not painting them. Yeah, looks good on the table.

If I could back in time, I'd probably pass because I would rather have the game and not wait. If they had this Sundrop quality level and kept the original time frame (or close to it), I would do it again (and even throw a couple of extra $$ at it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Boothby
msg tools
mbmbmb
No. I have a bunch of mini's to paint so I thought I'd just use this since it sounded good in theory. Hoo-boy was I wrong. It diminished the detail and it just doesn't look very good. I have to paint them now because I think they look that bad however the detail will never be as good as they could have been if I primed and painted them myself which kinda really bums me out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think I was luckily saved by the mini they put into there previous project (This war of mine, I think) which from memory was a minotaur that looked like a seagull had crapped on it.

I did wonder if the final product was going to be an improvement on that - and I should add I totally dig what they are trying to do here (I really won't find time to paint even 1% of my plastic minis) - but looks like it's not turned out as hoped for many people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cheston
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seagull crap. I honestly couldn't describe it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
I like it. It's not an actual paint job, just a way to highlight contrast of figures while they are standing on board. They look better than non-painted, and that's all I expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amazing to see the huge range of reactions to Sundrop: from "contrast that makes the models look better than non-painted" to "seagull crap". Is it just a question of having expectations set way too high? I'm torn between anxiously waiting for my copy to arrive so that I can judge for myself ... and fearing that it will arrive and I'll be too disappointed to even want to bring the seagull crap to the table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
It's amazing to see the huge range of reactions to Sundrop: from "contrast that makes the models look better than non-painted" to "seagull crap". Is it just a question of having expectations set way too high? I'm torn between anxiously waiting for my copy to arrive so that I can judge for myself ... and fearing that it will arrive and I'll be too disappointed to even want to bring the seagull crap to the table...

Sundrop is just a fancy word for dipping. So people who already paint their miniatures are probably going to dislike Sundrop, since they can paint the models better themselves. People who do not paint their models are probably going to like the effects created by Sundrop/dipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was basically a mass-produced version of zenithal highlighting? (Ie, spraying primer from above the miniature to simulate the miniature being illuminated from above.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
I thought it was basically a mass-produced version of zenithal highlighting? (Ie, spraying primer from above the miniature to simulate the miniature being illuminated from above.)

Yeah, the correct term should have been zenithal highlighting or pre-shading. I was underwhelmed but it's still way better than bare plastic until I get round to painting them.

I backed Nemesis but I won't be sundropping those since I can do a better job doing my own pre-shade with my airbrush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No it's fused parts of one of my monuments together and I can't take it apart at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was mostly pleased with how the Sundrop turned out. I didn't expect a high-quality paint job, and I certainly didn't get one. But the miniatures did end up looking far better than bare plastic -- so for those of you who don't have the time, patience, or skill to do a proper paint job (like me), I recommend it.

The only model I had a complaint about was Hermes. He's leaning forward, which meant that a lot of his front ended up unpainted, enough to be obvious from a casual viewing during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:

Could also be because these are "painted" by hand? If someone's tired, not paying attention, or pressed for time, they might not do as good a job as someone who takes time to paint. Unfortunately, I think it's the former case more often than the latter that happens most often.

fwiw, Toys (eg. Monopoly Gamers) and some models (eg. Krosmaster) use stencils (?) or other machine-aided methods of painting the miniatures so that each model looks the same. Those painted models I'm fine with. Vehicles (eg. space ships) painted by hand or just using a wash tend to be more acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m pretty happy with how it turned out on the smaller models. Mine actually look pretty good. The bigger models, meh, but it’s about what I expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Pan
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game arrived too late cause of the sundrop. I just took my game and it is 04-05-2018.
The quality of sundrop was horrible. Not even close to the images provided.
I am all-in for Nemesis and i will not take sundrop there for sure.

(Damaged box too and broken arm to minotaur).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
Pan3Gr wrote:
Not even close to the images provided.

Most probably it's the same as on the photos (or even better, if referred to photos on main page of KS campaign or early reviev videos). I made some photos of my copy and figures just look different on photos, especially when pictures are taken from proper angle. Everything one considers an "uneven painting" becomes "more contrast" when figures are looked at from a lenght of an arm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who doesn't paint figures, I was very pleased with the overall quality of the sundrop. No issues like any of those above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james herbby
msg tools
I think the troops look decent.

Most heroes and monsters were eh.

My helena looks bad though. She looks like total garbage, the spray caked on. There is even a complete blob on her.

Wont be doing that again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't received mine yet but if it looks REALLY bad is there anyway to remove sundrop from the minis or would it be too much work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Tavern wrote:
I haven't received mine yet but if it looks REALLY bad is there anyway to remove sundrop from the minis or would it be too much work?

I am thinking of giving my models an additional wash.
I hope it will let them look less like models that have been lazily primed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Babel
msg tools
mbmb
Our group had mixed reactions to this. Personally I like the "statuesque" look it gives the monuments and monsters. And since I was the one that bought the game that's what counts. It's not as nice looking as I originally expected but I still think it looks a lot better than just the plastic and I'm too lazy to paint them on my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
swgbabel wrote:
Our group had mixed reactions to this. Personally I like the "statuesque" look it gives the monuments and monsters. And since I was the one that bought the game that's what counts. It's not as nice looking as I originally expected but I still think it looks a lot better than just the plastic and I'm too lazy to paint them on my own.

I don't paint either and from the pictures it seems okay. I can't decide whether to do sundrop for Nemesis or not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.