Hide
6 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: I’ve been calculating scenario level wrong the entire time... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Not Given
msg tools
I’ve completed about eight or so scenarios and just realized that somehow I missed the average total level part and had been calculating scenario level as total level/2. I’m amazed I was able to complete that many scenarios! I thought this game seemed awfully difficult.

It’s not quite as bad as it could have been, since I’m playing solo and wasn’t really using the solo variant rules (since it seemed so hard) which means I was effectively using some kind of weird hybrid system that usually would up with me playing very hard/hard solo difficulty but getting better xp and gold, and I was sticking to the easier early scenarios. So at level 3 for all my characters I should have been playing something like scenario level 3 (avg level 3/2 = 1.5 -> 2 + 1 (solo) = 3) and awarding rewards based on scenario level 2, but was actually playing at scenario level 5 (or solo very hard, basically) and awarding rewards at scenario level 5. I finally realized something was wrong when I tried to tackle Scenario 67 at level 7 with my two level five and one level four characters.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
One of my characters was exhauseted before even making it out of the first room, and then my two half dead limped over to discover a boss with like 63 hp and I realized something HAD to be wrong.

I feel...pretty dumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sffrrrom wrote:

I feel...pretty dumb.

You shouldn't. Many have made that mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Geery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recommended difficulty level, try it harder or easier if you like the rewards scale with difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the plus side, you're probably a lot wealthier with a lot more XP that others who've completed 8 scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
... seriously, do it :-)
badge
Play more board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of us have been there, don't worry!

(edit: typo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I recommend http://thearcane.li/utilities/scenarioLevel (not mine) and Gloomhaven Scenario Level calculator (mobile-friendly spreadsheet) Excel or Sheets (mine)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.