Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Las Vegas» Forums » Variants

Subject: Optional Choice: Place your dice based on a set of matching results. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Solis
United States
Durham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant just came up when a player at my table said he had "five threes." For some reason this made me think of Liar's Dice and some dice placement games like Alien Frontier. It immediately suggested two options for dice placement:

A) Place dice according to the normal rules.
Or
B) You can place on the board corresponding to the size of a set of matched results. For the sake of this thought-experiment, I consider a "set" is as little as "1."

For example, if you have [5][5][5], then you can place that set on:
• Board 5, because the die result is 5.
or
• Board 3, because the set has three dice in it.

For example, if you have [4], then you can place that die on:
• Board 4
or
• Board 1

I expect this would cause Board 1 and Board 2 to be especially competitive. Perhaps so competitive that they should have higher stakes than the other boards.

In any case, I love Vegas as it stands. It's a high-luck game of schadenfreude and the standard rules fit that well. That said, if you want to try out this variant at your table, I'm curious to see how the feel of the math works out. Namely, whether the low-number boards would become the vicious knife-fights that I expect they would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The slot machine expansion sort of takes care of this in a good way without messing up the odds of the normal tiles. Your idea is decent, but I think I like the slot machine better. The changes to the 123 vs 456 tiles are too drastic otherwise. If 123 get more competition, that also means players lose more as well. I prefer the already knife-fight-y odds across all tiles in the base game rules.

Your variant would be better with fewer players, though, where winnings are greater per player. Then the loss of the 123 battles wouldn’t be as painful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Wouldn't the 1 become the dumping ground for when you have a bad roll of the dice? Handling bad rolls is integral to the game, I have often enough lost a juicy prize because of forced placements.

Perhaps disallowing such placement for singles could make it work? As said, the Slot Machine works in such a way somewhat. Check it out if you haven't already, you could easily make a p-n-p version of it to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Solis
United States
Durham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't seen the slot machine before! Thanks for the tip. I'll play with it next time I get a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.