Subject: FFG No Longer a Board Game Company? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: The-sky-is-falling [+] [View All]
AMK
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
May neighbors respect you, trouble neglect you, The angels protect you, and heaven accept you.
badge
May your troubles be less, and your blessing be more. And nothing but happiness, come through your door.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a time when FFG was my favorite board game company. Releasing more than a dozen new games per year, many of which were some of the best, most enjoyable games I owned. Three of my top five games are still FFG games, just all from years long past. I bought nearly every game they put out, without exception.

It is no secret that their release of board games has decreased over the last few years as their card game and miniature business has been their focus. I believe they only released five new board games last year, and nine expansion for board games (mostly Mansions of Madness and Eldritch Horror).

So far in 2018 they have released only three expansions (for the same two games above plus Elder Sign) and zero new games. What saddens me the most is that as of today, they have no board games and only one expansion (also Mansions of Madness) on their upcoming list:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

For the first time in a long time, FFG has given me nothing to look forward to and it depresses me greatly. I'm sure their transition to becoming a card game and miniature company is profitable for them, but it saddens me that they are moving away from their roots. I don't buy miniature games and only follow one of their card games so I must now move on and find another favorite company.

RIP Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The past interviews of Mr. Petersen give a good picture.

In the past FFG needed the "other leg" to stand on in case some of the miniatures game lines didn't do well. Now Asmodee gives that stability instead, and each studio can concentrate on what they do best.

If the miniatures and thematic games of FFG don't interest you, you still have the other studios to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too early for despair. FFG release announcements are always weighted towards the second half of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games that would previously come out as Fantasy Flight are now published by ZMan, like the Euro Classics line. So many of the games you're missing are still being made, just by a sister company (remember, FFG spun off Windrider for that, which later became the new ZMan).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
pbpancho wrote:
(remember, FFG spun off Windrider for that, which later became the new ZMan).

Or more precisely Windrider was absorbed by ZMan after Asmodee acquired it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
They have never been strictly a boardgame company.

They have had a few RPGs for years. (The Twilight Imperium RPG may not have been great, but it was there, more than a decade ago.)

They've been in the minis business for well over a decade, too.

The big lines are their minis games, card games, and RPGs at the moment. They are supporting 9 star wars lines actively (Edge, Age, F&D, X-wing, Armada, Imperial Assault, Legion, Destiny, and the LCG), Plus L5R (LCG, plus a boardgame and an RPG)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.