Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Automa for a Newb rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Overson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I just bought Scythe. Can I skip over the rules and go directly to Automa to learn the game myself, then learn the game rules for teaching my friends/family? I know there's video walk throughs for the base game, but do I need a firm grasp of those rules prior to Automa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McArdle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'd say yes to needing a good grasp of the game before playing against the automa. The automa rules are just for how the bot player moves and how you interact. On your own turn you play same as if you were playing an automa or a real player so you need to know the rules. There are loads of good interaction videos but start with general rules rather than automa in my opinion. Enjoy though - it's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll need a good understanding of the rules before learning how to run the automa, as they are an addendum to the core game, and, as others have said, you'll be playing the game as per normal on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Learn scythe rules
2. Download ScytheKick app
3. Read scythe automa rules to better understand why ScytheKick is doing what it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend playing through the game yourself with 2 factions before even attempting to learn the automa. The automa breaks game rules and its easy to get confused of you do not have a firm grasp of the standard multi-player rules first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Overson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thanks for the recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the guy who wrote the Scythe Automa rulebook I can't recommend strongly enough to read the rulebook for the game first. Without doing that, the Automa rulebook will make little sense to you.

Edited to add: It would feel like reading the rulebook for an expansion without knowing any rules for the base game. Sorry for belaboring the point so much .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.