12 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Any custom adventures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Janos Antal
msg tools

Hello Everybody

I tried to find any custom adventure (adventure cards) for EH, but could not find any.
Do you know any funny custom adventures which you can just add to any game extra?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some custom cards in the file section that I had made. Excellent stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
There are some custom cards in the file section that I had made.
I failed to find those files. Could you provide a link to one of them? It might help me determine what I'm doing wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No prob. It's a set of 63 additional Other World cards. Had them printed up and you can barely tell the differences in card backs. Here is the link.

Additional other world cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
No prob. It's a set of 63 additional Other World cards. Had them printed up and you can barely tell the differences in card backs. Here is the link.

Additional other world cards
Thanks. I've been searching for them in your "Contributions" section while they've been uploaded by Xelto.
These ones I know already. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think there is design space for a subplot deck.

The subplot would be a small side adventure which can be ignored by the players. If the players pass it, they get a minor benefit (e.g. skill increase, artefact, etc.) and get to keep the card. Players can either fulfil the subplot by spending actions or encounters on a particular location. There's no reckoning effect, and no downside for ignoring it, it's just a nice little bit of side flavour.

If the final Mystery is ever revealed, the players can discard a completed subplot to not draw a Mythos card that turn and just enact the effect at the bottom of the subplot (e.g. Reckoning or Gate spawn). Whilst you haven't prevented the Ancient One from manifesting, you have disrupted some of the conditions that ease its passage into our world.

The big advantage of this is that you only need one card (although there's no reason why the subplots couldn't be more complex, involving special monsters or their own custom decks)

For instance, "The Westchester House" might be a subplot for San Francisco which has the players scrambling to make Observation checks with each success adding a token to the card. When X tokens are added to the card, the curse afflicting the Westchester House is revealed to be a fraud and the player who passed the test gains a Funding condition. The card might be discarded for an Omen Move rather than a full Mythos card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacob Busby wrote:
I think there is design space for a subplot deck.

The subplot would be a small side adventure which can be ignored by the players. If the players pass it, they get a minor benefit (e.g. skill increase, artefact, etc.) and get to keep the card. Players can either fulfil the subplot by spending actions or encounters on a particular location. There's no reckoning effect, and no downside for ignoring it, it's just a nice little bit of side flavour.

<intriguing details removed>

For instance, "The Westchester House" might be a subplot for San Francisco which has the players scrambling to make Observation checks with each success adding a token to the card.

Basically like a reverse rumor? You try to fulfill the prerequisites in order to gain a benefit, instead of take a penalty for not doing them?

There are some intriguing possibilities there. But I'm concerned about how there not being any price to pay to get it, or consequences for not achieving it, would fit into the Eldritch Horror ethos. Mind going into more details about how these would come into play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
Basically like a reverse rumor? You try to fulfill the prerequisites in order to gain a benefit, instead of take a penalty for not doing them?

There are some intriguing possibilities there. But I'm concerned about how there not being any price to pay to get it, or consequences for not achieving it, would fit into the Eldritch Horror ethos. Mind going into more details about how these would come into play?

A Reverse Rumour. Yes, I like that description.

I'm not too concerned about the "reward for nothing" aspect of it, as there's already a more subtle cost - the players are diverting attention away from other goals in order to fulfil the subplot. Think of them in similar terms to expeditions against an AO whose theme isn't especially bothered about expeditions. You could go off to the Amazon and try and find some loot, but if you do so, you're probably not gathering the clues you need to solve the current mystery.

Of course, failure on checks could also lead to consequence. In the brief example I outlined, failing the Observation check might lead to the player receiving a Detained condition. Likewise if the subplot was to defeat some kind of monster, then failing the horror/combat check would lead to loss of Sanity / Health.

As for when to bring subplots into play you could break them down by Act. One comes into play at the start of the game, a second once Act I is complete and a third at the end of Act II. This would allow for some classification, making later subplots more difficult to solve either by grading the subplots in a similar manner to Mythos cards, or by making the checks on the card based on the Act of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacob Busby wrote:
The subplot would be a small side adventure which can be ignored by the players. If the players pass it, they get a minor benefit (e.g. skill increase, artefact, etc.)(...)
So far this sounds exactly like the existing Adventure mechanic.
Jacob Busby wrote:
The big advantage of this is that you only need one card (although there's no reason why the subplots couldn't be more complex, involving special monsters or their own custom decks)
An Adventure can also consist of a single card.
Jacob Busby wrote:
If the players pass it, they (...) get to keep the card. If the final Mystery is ever revealed, the players can discard a completed subplot to not draw a Mythos card that turn and just enact the effect at the bottom of the subplot (e.g. Reckoning or Gate spawn).
This is the only effect that is seemingly different from existing adventures. But this is only an impression as I can write
"When the Ancient One awakens, if this Adventure was completed, do not draw a Mythos card this round. Instead resolve this mythos effect: (insert the desired icon here, as in The Coming Storm prelude)"
on an Adventure card.

The game already has all the rules you need to execute your idea. That's one of the main qualities of Eldritch Horror - you don't need many new rules to create a lot of diverse content.
FFG themselves have barely scratched the surface of what is possible within existing rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:

I'll freely concede that this thread is mainly riffing ideas rather than any solid design.

One important difference that you haven't noted is that the current adventures are all either tied to AOs or preludes. With this this conceit, the subplots are completely AO- and prelude- independent. You might face Werewolves of Derbyshire against Cthulhu in one game, but the next time you face off against old squid-face the subplot is The Demon Cabinet of Mister Lung. And you can still use any prelude you wish.

If there was a deck of 30 or so subplots, three of which get used each game, that would give plenty of variety. More importantly, the design is modular, allowing others to submit their own ideas.

Discounting the novels and short stories, there's almost 40 years worth of RPG material out there to convert. For instance, the Masks of Nyarlathotep RPG contains plenty of side-quests such as "Werewolves of Derbyshire", "The Thing in the Fog", "The Game Lodge", "Buckley's Ghost" or "The Demon Cabinet of Mister Lung" to name but a few, none of which weren't even really touched in the official board game conversion.

Now I'll freely concede that this is "bloat" - it's yet another thing to keep track of in an increasingly sophisticated. However I would counter that "Subplots" would be a custom made fan-expansion, not an official FFG one, so I would only expect people who didn't mind the extra complexity to print it out in the first place.

Finally, to give you an idea, here's one I adapted in Strange eons:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janos Antal
msg tools
hmm I definitely like this subplot Idea, but I would like instead a "side-quest" idea, which is actually a subplot but more story driven, which fits to any ancient one.
A little side story with some benefits and I tried to call it custom adventure cards at the beginning because such a side quest could contain more cards and outcomes like an adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacob Busby wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
One important difference that you haven't noted is that the current adventures are all either tied to AOs or preludes.
While existing adventures are tied to AO's and Preludes there's nothing in the rules that would stop you from starting an adventure with a Mythos, an Encounter, or even with a Spell card.
So rules-wise there's no difference here.

Of course adventure can also be started with some new expansion-specific rule but I think a Prelude would be the cleanest solution here. Such prelude would describe how to setup a "subplot" at the start of every stage.
This approach would relieve the players from learning new rules, they would only need a reminder of the semi-official "Yes, you can use more than one prelude if you like to."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.