Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Funktastic

Antarctica
msg tools
Spirits
Lightning's Swift Strike - Sacred Site, B5
River Surges in Sunlight - 1 Disc Sacred Site, D3

Map (Standard 3 player map setup - Clockwise D,C,B)
Untamed Wilds - Board C - Place a Wilds token in every space, Dahan and Blight as indicated. Do Not place the city or town.
If playing without expansion - substitute coins (or some such) for Wilds tokens. First legal exploration removes the Wilds instead of placing the explorer.

Escalation Effect - If exploring coastland C without wilds, include a town with the explorer.

Fear Deck - 3-3-3, Blight Card, 8 Fear in the fear pool

Scoring
Use standard scoring at difficulty 4 - so 5x4 +10, +2 per invader, +0.5 per dahan, -0.5 per blight.

Then also include one of the following
+10 for a Terror Level 1 Victory
+5 for a Terror Level 2 Victory
+0 for a Terror Level 3 Victory
-1 for a Victory that exhausts the Fear Deck

Then include
-2 per destroyed spirit presense
-1 per destroyed Dahan
+1 per unforgotten Major Power

Either GM your score or post it in comments, please include details such as solo vs pair, base only vs expansion included. I will be happy to compile some leader board information, and think about a legacy leader board as well if this gains support and some action.

If playing with the expansion - I had a few issues with Board C and the cards Missionaries Arrive, Rising Interest in the Island, Farmers Seek the Dahan for Aid.

Board C - Missionaries Arrive - "Ignore Contact..." Only replace Dahan with a town if the Wilds Token has been cleared.
Board C - Rising Interest in the Island - "Ignore..." Only add a town to a land without Wilds Token
Board C - Farmers Seek the Dahan for Aid - "Teach the Invaders" - Only add a town to a land with Dahan and without a Wilds Token.

Hopefully this makes sense and covers everything.

Enjoy

edit(s): formatting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Funktastic

Antarctica
msg tools
Leaders

Played as a Pair - Base
list names here

Played as a Pair - Expansion
list names here

Solo'ed - Base
Kjara - 65

Solo'ed - Expansion
JohnduBois - 67.5
Ruduen - 63
Arcanist Lupus - 55.5
DeadMoney - 55
nimonus - 48
dlikos - 46

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To clarify:

Are you indicating we should do standard scoring and then apply modifiers, or are you recommending we use non-standard scoring and replace it with here? When you say -1 VP for 'exhausting fear', do you mean that you lose one point if you win by going through the entire fear deck?

(I don't think you really need to add victory points for winning at lower fear thresholds - it artificially boosts points for winning faster, when you already have points for doing so through the remaining cards in the Invader deck.)

What do you mean by 'no blight card' when referring to the fear deck? Are you talking about the healthy island/blighted island card? If you're saying not to use one, how do you want to handle events that check for healthy/blighted island?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Funktastic

Antarctica
msg tools
Ruduen wrote:
To clarify:

Are you indicating we should do standard scoring and then apply modifiers, or are you recommending we use non-standard scoring and replace it with here? When you say -1 VP for 'exhausting fear', do you mean that you lose one point if you win by going through the entire fear deck?

(I don't think you really need to add victory points for winning at lower fear thresholds - it artificially boosts points for winning faster, when you already have points for doing so through the remaining cards in the Invader deck.)

What do you mean by 'no blight card' when referring to the fear deck? Are you talking about the healthy island/blighted island card? If you're saying not to use one, how do you want to handle events that check for healthy/blighted island?

Sorry about the - No Blight Card - didn't want to make it too hard? I didn't even think about the healthy vs blighted island effects. I used healthy when testing... but I managed to complete this in spending only 3 blight (two were lost to an event) so it wouldn't have flipped.

Lets edit this to "use a blight card" devil

In terms of scoring ... I was just trying to find a way to split scores a bit more, it is all arbitrary anyhow. The VP bonus (or loss for victory through exhausting fear) and other modifications were intended to be in addition to standard scoring. But I see your point.

Thanks for your input! I can try improve next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the question was "why did you do scoring like this?" but rather "could you please clarify what scoring rules you want us to use?" The description in the OP is confusing, talking about standard scoring but then listing a combination of modifiers that doesn't match that. (And the mismatched parentheses are not helping.)

I suggest rewriting that to put every score modifier on a separate line, and start by saying something like:

- apply all standard score modifiers, PLUS:
OR
- apply all standard score modifiers EXCEPT:
OR
- ignore the normal scoring rules, and INSTEAD:

Also, use some more words to explain carefully what you mean by things like "exhausting fear". Clarity is more important than brevity for scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Headman
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a few more questions for clarification on how your scoring modifications fit together with the standard scoring rules:

wrote:
Standard rulebook scoring (Difficulty 4 +10VP Terror 1 Victory, +5VP Terror 2 Victory, -1 VP Exhausting Fear

This is instead of the +10 for victory, right?

Are we still getting +2 per invader card left in the deck, per standard scoring?
Quote:

-2 VP per destroyed presence, -1 VP per lost Dahan (place Dahan with lost presence, you should have enough)

Is the 1-VP per lost Dahan in addition to or instead of the +1 per remaining Dahan in standard scoring?

Quote:

+1 VP per Major Power.

In-hand, at end of game I assume you mean? Interesting - that penalizes a high-plays-spam-minor-powers strategy.

Also, is there a penalty for blight as per standard scoring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Funktastic

Antarctica
msg tools
Looks like scoring is a bit confusing, sorry about that.

Use standard scoring at difficulty 4 - so 5x4 +10, +2 per invader, +0.5 per dahan, -0.5 per blight.

Then include
-1 per destroyed Dahan

Hopefully this clears things up.

In challenge #1 it was pointed out that the scoring would likely be dense and it was... I was encouraged to add some categories, so I did. Let's see how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Headman
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dr Funktastic wrote:
Looks like scoring is a bit confusing, sorry about that.

Then include
-1 per destroyed Dahan

Hopefully this clears things up.

Yes, that's perfectly clear now, thanks!

Quote:

In challenge #1 it was pointed out that the scoring would likely be dense and it was... I was encouraged to add some categories, so I did. Let's see how it goes!

It sounds interesting, and the custom scenario you created here is exciting to try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
All knowledge is worth having
mbmbmbmbmb
The wilderness remains untamed!

Score: 55.5
Format: Solo with Expansion
Breakdown: Victory w/ 7 Fear cards remaining, 18 Dahan, 3 Blight, Terror Level II (with one single lone Explorer surviving), 2 Destroyed Dahan, and 1 Major Power.

This was an eventful little Island! Of the three specially modified events, I saw two of them. First, Farmers immediately Sought the Dahan for Aid, but were Spurned. In retaliation a Dahan was killed, and another Dahan was claimed by disease. Then two turns later there was Rising Interest in the Island, but Lies were Woven in the Minds of Observers and they ran away in fear.

No invaders ever entered board C. The first stage II invader card was the missing stage I card, and during the second Explorers were Reluctant and did not explore in the empty Coastal region.

River Surges in Sunlight hosted a beach party on D1, attracting many Dahan and Invaders. The Earth's Quickened Struggles incapacitated the invaders and the Dahan made short work of them. Then a Raging Storm triggered a Flash Flood and wiped out the final City in B2 and the last remaining explorer on the island shivering on B3 outside their Shattered Homestead threw in the towel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Headman
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Score: 48
Format: Solo, with expansion
Won in Terror Level II, 6 fear cards and 5 explore cards remaining. 18 Dahan, 4 Blight, 5 destroyed Dahan, 1 destroyed presence, and 3 major powers.

Invaders edged slightly into the wilds in board C, but didn't last a single turn there. I did a pretty good job keeping them from setting up towns/cities on the border, so it was pretty closed off.

River kept its board under control for most of the game, with lightning trying to both patrol the border to the wilds and keep invaders on its board pinned against the coast. There were some big, scary concentrations of invaders on that coast for much of the game, but once River managed to expand in that direction and Lightning was able to start smashing cities, we cleared it out very quickly, for a win half a turn after hitting terror level II.

I lost quite a few Dahan to event cards that added disease/damage. I got New Species Spread first turn when I had no energy to pay so had to take 1 blight and lose 2 Dahan. Then, when it came up again (as it does) I paid it off to avoid blight, but still lost 1 more dahan. And I also got Farmers Seek Dahan Aid which cost me 2 more Dahan.

All the Dahan I lost were due to event cards, as was 1 of the blight net (1 directly from New Species Spread, and 1 indirectly from having no choice but to gather 1 and add 1 explorer to a sacred site that was about to ravage, due to Interesting Discoveries, also costing me a presence - but that card also let me return a blight to the blight card at the same time).

At the end of the game, knowing I was about to win by destroying the last city, I deliberately chose major power cards to pad my score by 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The novel part of this challenge is that you're playing two spirits on three boards, right? That sounds really neat and I thought it was a little understated in the challenge description - Maybe we could start each challenge with a quick two sentences explaining what's special in the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Headman
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yostage wrote:
The novel part of this challenge is that you're playing two spirits on three boards, right? That sounds really neat and I thought it was a little understated in the challenge description - Maybe we could start each challenge with a quick two sentences explaining what's special in the challenge.

Yeah, that was a cool idea, and fun in practice, too. Though I'm not sure it is should be rated at level-4 difficulty in the scoring, even with the escalation effect. That's equivalent to level 2 England or Prussia, or the Dahan Insurrection scenario.

This seemed significantly easier to me than that. You do need to be conscious of the other board when playing - placing presence so you can reach at least to the borders and the coast, being careful not to allow towns/cities to build up on that border and so on. But I felt completely in control of the board the whole time (random, awful event-cards aside), and won as soon as I hit Terror Level II, without a single stage-three invader card coming out. That probably wouldn't have happened against England level II!

Honestly, with River's ability to move towns and explorers so well and neither spirit having much innate fear generation, my biggest bottleneck was that there weren't enough towns/cities to destroy to advance the fear deck, even when I deliberately used powers slow that could have been fast in order to let them build before I smacked them down!

But it was a fun scenario which challenged me to think about the board-space differently than I was used to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Simone [The Quasi Geek Dad]
United States
Redmond
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcanist Lupus wrote:
The wilderness remains untamed!

Score: 55.5
Format: Solo with Expansion
Breakdown: Victory w/ 7 Fear cards remaining, 18 Dahan, 3 Blight, Terror Level II (with one single lone Explorer surviving), 2 Destroyed Dahan, and 1 Major Power.

This was an eventful little Island! Of the three specially modified events, I saw two of them. First, Farmers immediately Sought the Dahan for Aid, but were Spurned. In retaliation a Dahan was killed, and another Dahan was claimed by disease. Then two turns later there was Rising Interest in the Island, but Lies were Woven in the Minds of Observers and they ran away in fear.

No invaders ever entered board C. The first stage II invader card was the missing stage I card, and during the second Explorers were Reluctant and did not explore in the empty Coastal region.

River Surges in Sunlight hosted a beach party on D1, attracting many Dahan and Invaders. The Earth's Quickened Struggles incapacitated the invaders and the Dahan made short work of them. Then a Raging Storm triggered a Flash Flood and wiped out the final City in B2 and the last remaining explorer on the island shivering on B3 outside their Shattered Homestead threw in the towel.

How did you calculate your points? Seems a bit high for your final state. Did you have a lot of invader cards left?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[Edited for my mistake in calculating score.]

Thanks for another challenge!!! They are great! I have been looking forward to this since the last one.

Solo with Expansions

Untamed Wilds Victory!

Score:
(I am under the understanding that you only get either -1, +0, +5, +10 points at victory based on terror lvl rather than the flat +10 for victory)

Victory : +10 [This was edited in]
Win at Terror Lvl 2 : +5
Invader cards rem. 5 : +10
Difficulty 4 : +20 [Edited from +10]
Dahan rem. 20 : +10
Blight on board 4 : -2
Destroyed Precense none : +0
Dahan Destroyed none : +0
Major Powers 2 : +2

Total Score : 55

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimonus wrote:
Score: 48
Format: Solo, with expansion
Won in Terror Level II, 6 fear cards and 5 explore cards remaining. 18 Dahan, 4 Blight, 5 destroyed Dahan, 1 destroyed presence, and 3 major powers.

Invaders edged slightly into the wilds in board C, but didn't last a single turn there. I did a pretty good job keeping them from setting up towns/cities on the border, so it was pretty closed off.

River kept its board under control for most of the game, with lightning trying to both patrol the border to the wilds and keep invaders on its board pinned against the coast. There were some big, scary concentrations of invaders on that coast for much of the game, but once River managed to expand in that direction and Lightning was able to start smashing cities, we cleared it out very quickly, for a win half a turn after hitting terror level II.

I lost quite a few Dahan to event cards that added disease/damage. I got New Species Spread first turn when I had no energy to pay so had to take 1 blight and lose 2 Dahan. Then, when it came up again (as it does) I paid it off to avoid blight, but still lost 1 more dahan. And I also got Farmers Seek Dahan Aid which cost me 2 more Dahan.

All the Dahan I lost were due to event cards, as was 1 of the blight net (1 directly from New Species Spread, and 1 indirectly from having no choice but to gather 1 and add 1 explorer to a sacred site that was about to ravage, due to Interesting Discoveries, also costing me a presence - but that card also let me return a blight to the blight card at the same time).

At the end of the game, knowing I was about to win by destroying the last city, I deliberately chose major power cards to pad my score by 2

When I calculate your score I get 28
Difficulty +10
Invader Cards x 5 +10
Remaining Dahan +9
Blight -2
Terror Lvl 2 victory +5
Destroyed Spirit Presence -2
Dahan Destroyed -5
Major Powers +3

Total 28

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DeadMoney wrote:
Difficulty +10

I believe it's +20 for difficulty (5 x 4) and an additional +10 for winning, which would make up your discrepancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
All knowledge is worth having
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
DeadMoney wrote:
Difficulty +10

I believe it's +20 for difficulty (5 x 4) and an additional +10 for winning, which would make up your discrepancy.

Similarly, I count your score to be 55.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcanist Lupus wrote:
Antistone wrote:
DeadMoney wrote:
Difficulty +10

Similarly, I count your score to be 55.

Ahh I see now. I was understanding that instead of a base +10 for winning, it was based on what Terror Level you are at when you won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 46 point victory for me, solo w/expansion.

I had a good time with the challenge, and agree with an earlier post that it was fun to think about my "space" in a different way. River Surges planted itself in wetland C5 and managed to successfully defend the C coastline.

I also agree that this might be a little bit easy. I anticipated it being harder than it was, but was surprised that I achieved victory with only 1 extra blight (3 total) placed on the board.

I also learned a new opening move with Lightning. Take the placement and energy and play 3 cards right away to swiftly zap a town. I did this over and over again.

But I didn't generate fear too quickly and it took me quite some time to win. Terror level 3, with only 3 invader cards left. I also go lucky that one build was skipped via event, and the next explore was delayed... I think. Honestly I forget.

Difficulty level only effects scoring, so it's no big deal if it is "really a 4" or not, so don't worry about it.

I think it would be neat to have the escalation effect put an extra town on ALL coastal explorations. I think I will try that while I still have it set up!

Fun challenge. Better than the last one, keep em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm assuming we set up beasts/disease on board C as well, since it's otherwise standard setup. It didn't end up mattering very much with my final result, though.

Victory! This was quite possibly one of my fastest games of Spirit Island so far, to the point where I can still remember almost everything based on the end state.

Players: Ruduen (Solo)
Expansion Status: With Expansion

Standard Scoring:
20 - 5x Difficulty Victory
+10 - Victory Bonus
+18 - 2x 9 Invader Cards Remaining
+10 - 0.5x 20 Living Dahan
-3 - 0.5x 6 Blight on the island
55 - Total Base Score
+10 - Terror level 1 victory
- 2 - 2x 1 Destroyed Presence
- 0 - 1x 0 Destroyed Dahan
+ 0 - 0x 0 Unforgotten Major Powers
63 - Total Adjusted Score

Other random statistics:

Quote:
Lightning's Swift Strike card gained: Visions of Fiery Doom
River Surges in Sunlight card gained: Scour the Land
Cards forgotten: None
Lightning's Swift Strike presence placed: 3 (2 Top, 1 Bottom)
River Surges in Sunlight presence placed: 4 (All Bottom)
Events Encountered: Population Rises, War Touches the Island's Shores, Distant Exploration

With such a short game, I can give close to a turn-by-turn while it's fresh in my memory.

Preliminary Explore: Wetlands. Map C remains untouched.
Turn 1 Growth: River places 2 presence from bottom into D2 and D1. Lightning places 2 presence from top into D6.
Turn 1 Presence: River plays River's Bounty and Wash Away. Lightning plays Shatter Homesteads.
Turn 1 Fast: Shatter Homesteads destroys the starting town in B6.
Turn 1 Event: Population Rises. New town in D7 and B6 (B6 is rather annoying). Sandfever Outbreak adds diseases to D7 and B2, Offerings of Pattern and Dance grants River 1 energy.
Turn 1 Invader: D1, D3, B1, and B6 build (B6 building a City). Explore into mountains pops C3, C7 untouched, all others explore.
Turn 1 Slow: River's bounty gathers into D1 from D2, grants River 1 energy, adds a Dahan. Massive Flooding pushes town from D1 into D7. Wash away pushes town from D3 to D2.
(In hindsight, I should've also washed away the minion from D1, since no Dahan would be able to counterattack on that ravage.)

Turn 2 Growth: River places 2 presence from bottom into B8 and B6. Lightning places presence from bottom into C4 and gains 3 energy.
Turn 2 Presence: River reclaims River's Bounty and plays River's Bounty, Flash Floods, and Boon of Vigor. Lightning plays Harbingers of the Lightning, Lightning's Boon, and Raging Storm.
Turn 2 Fast: Lightning's Boon speeds up Massive Flooding. Massive Flooding, Flash Floods, and Raging Storm clear B6. Gift of Energy grants Lightning 3 Energy. Thundering Destruction destroys the town in B1.
Turn 2 Event: War Touches the Island's Shores. (This was the big help that let me win so fast.) Fire and Flood drawn for D2, destroys the town and city there, blights D2. The Jungle Hungers drawn for B2, destroys the city there. (Explorer Remains.) Beasts Find New Homes. Beasts move from D3->D4, C4->D7 (Fear, ended up irrelevant), B5->B7 (Fear). Reclaim Territory, D1->D5 (Destroys Explorer), D1->D8 (Destroys Explorer).
Turn 2 Fear: Plan for Departure. No Effect.
Turn 2 Invaders: D1 Ravages and is destroyed in counterattack. D3 ravages for 0 damage. B1 Ravages and is destroyed in counterattack. Town built in B7. Disease pops in B2. Explore into Sands. Wilds in C2 pops, C6 inaccessible, others gain a new explorer.
Turn 2 Slow: River's Bounty gathers 0 into D1, adds 1 Dahan and grants River 1 energy. Harbingers of the Lightning pushes Dahan from B1->B2.

Turn 3 Growth: River reclaims all, gains Scour the Land, and gains 1 energy. Lightning reclaims all, gains Visions of Fiery Doom, and gains 1 energy.
Turn 3 Presence: River plays Flash Floods, Scour the Land, and River's Bounty. Lightning plays Visions of Fiery Doom, Raging Storm, and Lightning's Boon.
Turn 3 Fast: Lightning's Boon boosts Massive Flooding and Scour the Land. Scour the Land wipes D7 and adds a blight. Massive Flooding pushes an explorer D4->B7. Flash Floods clear D7. Visions of Fiery Doom adds 2 fear and pushes an explorer B5->B7. Raging storm clears 3 explorers in B7. Thundering Destruction destroys the town in B7. This leaves explorers in B2 and B3, and nowhere else.
Turn 3 Event: Distant Exploration (No effect, never hit explore). Grim Toll destroys the explorer in B2 (Irrelevant, would be destroyed due to ravage). Fierce Mien adds 1 fear.
Turn 3 Fear: Dahan Attack. Dahan destroy last explorer.

Allowing an early War Touches the Island's Shores to occur is basically the only reason I was able to win so fast - I think a lot of high scores might be set purely by that card coming up well. That last bit of energy from Patterns of Song and Dance ended up making a huge impact, since they're what allowed River to smash through the one sand where I ended up dumping a number of extra towns.

Sadly, since I won so fast, Board C ended up basically irrelevant. I might give this another try and see how it turns out on a more 'normal' run.

Thanks for the new challenge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... I won on Turn 2.

Solo, with expansion.

A first turn War Touches the Island's Shores wiped out both Cities, a Dahan Raid finished off the remaining Explorers in the Build territories, and it was a shooting gallery after that.

Score:
+20 Base Difficulty
+10 Victory
+20 for 10 remaining Invader Cards
+9 for 18 surviving Dahan
-2.5 for 5 Blight
+10 Victory at Terror I
-0 Destroyed Presence
-0 Destroyed Dahan
+1 Unforgotten Major Power

=67.5? That seems like a lot. Did I score something wrong, or just get a very lucky Event?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd say it's a lucky event - like I mentioned in my playthrough, War Touches the Island is incredibly powerful in a game like this which only has the individual starting city, and the score modifiers lead themselves to jumping even higher if you win fast. I think theoretically speaking, if you hit War Touches the Islands on turn 1, it's possible to win turn 1, before invaders act.

ALL DISCUSSION HERE IS THEORYCRAFTING - IT DOES NOT REFLECT ANY ACTUAL PLAYED GAME. (Though someone with enough time could probably force this to occur.)

In this 'perfect RNG' scenario:

Invaders: Explore to Forests. Explorers into D2, D6, B4, B8.

River: Places 2 presence (1 Top, 1 Bottom) to D2/D1.
Lightning: Places 1 Presence (1 Bottom) to D7, gain 3 Energy.

River: Gains 2 Energy. Plays River's Bounty and Flash Floods.
Lightning: Plays Harbingers of the Lightning, Lightning's Boon, Shatter Homesteads.

Fast:
Lightning's Boon: On River.
Massive Flooding: Due to Boon, occurs now. Moves town D7->D6.
Harbingers of the Lightning: Moves Dahan B7->D6. Gains 1 Fear.
Shatter Homesteads: Gains 1 Fear. Destroys Town D6. Gains 1 Fear for destroyed town (3 Fear Total).
Thundering Destruction: Destroys town B6. Gains 1 fear for destroyed town (4 Fear Total).
Massive Flooding: Destroys explorer B8.
River's Bounty: Due to Boon, occurs now. Optional, adds .5 to final score by creating a Dahan.

Event:
War Touches the Island's Shores: Blights/Clears D2 and B2. 4 Fear due to 2 Destroyed Cities. (8 Fear Total.)
Beasts Find New Homes: Generate 2 fear from moved tokens. (10 Fear Total.)
Reclaim Territory: Dahan move B3->B4 and destroy explorer. Dahan move D7->D6 and destroy Explorer. All invaders destroyed.

Assuming you were gunning for this exact scenario, a general estimate of the chances are as follows:

1/4 (Chance of hitting forest) * 1/26 (Chance of hitting War Touches the Island) * 38/43 (General chance of War Touches the Shores clearing B2) * 30/43 (General chance of War Touches the Shores clearing D2) = About 0.593%, or roughly 1/169.

(Note that I could give a more accurate estimation by adding conditional logic regarding the first and second 'pull' of cards, but that's honestly more trouble than it's worth, considering how little it would shift the final percentage.)

This is unlikely, but not in the realm of the impossible, and quite possible to force if you reset after seeing the initial invader card and confirming it's not a forest. This is also lacking potential optimizations that someone could likely make to tweak the odds a little more in your favor, such as figuring out plans for other starting terrains, or improving the odds using an earned fear card.

The final score for that would be something like 69.5 if you took longer odds and used a fear card to remove the last one, rather than having River place a presence in D2 (which would be destroyed by war). Given how difficult it is to earn back more than 2 points every round from Invader cards ticking down, it would be difficult (but not impossible) to earn more than that. Doing so would require both spirits reclaiming cards, gaining major powers, and creating more Dahan/removing blight each round to make up for it. However, that's even more RNG-dependant than this setup is to begin with.

It's a fun theorycraft to do.

Edit: Figured out how Massive Flooding could replace the push from Wash Away, allowing Flash Floods to destroy the last Dahan before fear becomes a factor. This jumps the odds from 1/390 to 1/104. Then applied rough odds for War Touches the Shores to clean both spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjara
msg tools
Won in the fast part of round 4. Mildly lucky that the first stage II card to come out was wetlands (of which there are none on board C). Never actually had any invaders show up there. Amusingly enough I just needed to clear out a city + explorer to finish up board B so I gambled with a major power on lightning... and took perhaps one of the least likely powers for it in most games, Tsunami. Generally that 6 energy would have been a killer, but of course river had been feeding lightning energy and it was possible to both throw that out at fast speed and feed river an elemental boon + lightning boon for fast massive flooding to clear out the last two regions on its board. Decided to base game this one to avoid the swingyness of the events.

Solo-base game:
Standard Scoring:
20 - 5x Difficulty Victory
+10 - Victory Bonus
+16 - 2x 8 Invader Cards Remaining
+10 - 0.5x 20 Living Dahan
-2 - 0.5x 4 Blight on the island
54 - Total Base Score
+10 - Terror level 1 victory
- 0 - 2x 0 Destroyed Presence
- 0 - 1x 0 Destroyed Dahan
+ 1 - 1x 1 Unforgotten Major Powers
65 - Total Adjusted Score

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Funktastic

Antarctica
msg tools
So it seems like in practice, that this one is a little bit easier than intended. The scenario still gets me excited though.
Any ideas on how to make this one a bit more difficult?
I looked for other combinations of maps that would put towns on the inland borders of the untamed wilds, but there weren't any. I like board C as the wilds board because it has 3 different land types at it's coast. But playtesting (you guys must be better than me) has proven this to be a bit too easy for board C to really even get going.

Amp up escalation as dlikos suggested, town and explorer on every coastal explore (with escalation symbol).

Put extra towns on boards B and D in the inland bordering the wilds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjara
msg tools
Dr Funktastic wrote:
So it seems like in practice, that this one is a little bit easier than intended. The scenario still gets me excited though.
Any ideas on how to make this one a bit more difficult?
I looked for other combinations of maps that would put towns on the inland borders of the untamed wilds, but there weren't any. I like board C as the wilds board because it has 3 different land types at it's coast. But playtesting (you guys must be better than me) has proven this to be a bit too easy for board C to really even get going.

Amp up escalation as dlikos suggested, town and explorer on every coastal explore (with escalation symbol).

Put extra towns on boards B and D in the inland bordering the wilds?

I think part of the issue is that both lightning and river are pretty fast spirits and the game becomes a race between clearing out the initial boards while preventing the 3rd board from entering the picture at all (and if you manage to do so, its as easy as if you were playing a base level game). It has a odd punishing factor that it probably becomes much more challenging if you stumble slightly early on and let them achieve a foothold on the 3rd board.

You might get a better challenge if you changed the spirits to be a pair that can less consistently clear out their starting boards before stage II (since stage I is guarenteed to hit the wilds and make the extra board a non-issue). This probably doesn't address the issue with early event luck though.

How to revamp depends on what sort of challenge you want to create. Is the goal to create a game that starts out close to standard but ramps up more than normal? Or are you more interested in a game that starts with a more chaotic start but doesn't threaten to spiral out of control as much as most higher level adversaries?

One alternative might be to replace the wilds on board C with diseases (at least on the coast?). Then you are guarenteed to have a few explorers to deal with in stage 1 (making its less likely for the fear level 1 clear), while still delaying the threat of ravage damage till stage II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.