United States
New York
flag msg tools
Strategos

Specializes in R&D and complicated licenses for intellectual property

Earth Tag

Action: Draw 1 card

Gets 3 MC per card sold

Starts with 45 MC (Target Value - 20 or thereabouts)

Sort of strong with card draw, effectively starts out with 3 Mc income. Lousy tag. Simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Greet
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Hating everyone equally
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a right-wing think tank whereas the corporation is a patent acquiring and abusing holding company. Good theme. Call it Valkyrie Holdings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a bit uninteresting. You'd just buy every single card you get to start and in each research phase. You never have to make any decisions of which cards you want or need until the moment you're ready to play them. And it also means you'll pretty much always get the Planner milestone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Ya I dunno.

Maybe make it something like ...

Sell 1 card = 1mc
Sell 2 cards = 1mc + 2mc = 3mc
Sell 3 cards - 1mc + 2mc + 3mc = 6mc
etc., etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or give them a discount when buying cards during the research phase. Maybe they only pay 2MC per card to keep.

If they’re all about buying and selling patents, maybe they could sell cards to other players somehow. Or they could buy cards that were not bought by others. Not sure how these ideas would work, just thinking out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Couch
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Seems a bit uninteresting. You'd just buy every single card you get to start and in each research phase. You never have to make any decisions of which cards you want or need until the moment you're ready to play them. And it also means you'll pretty much always get the Planner milestone.

Agree. Any Corp that can sell cards for 3 lacks interesting decisions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
Or give them a discount when buying cards during the research phase. Maybe they only pay 2MC per card to keep.

If they’re all about buying and selling patents, maybe they could sell cards to other players somehow. Or they could buy cards that were not bought by others. Not sure how these ideas would work, just thinking out loud.

Just think out loud but in my head it sounds cool that as an action the corporation could place out a card (or some cards) from their hand to the table and sort of put them out for auction. All other players can place bids on the card(s) in turn order, highest bid gets the card(s) and all MC goes to the selling player.

If no one wants the cards you just put them back in your hand, and you can try again next generation with hopefully better luck, and card(s). ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
Ya I dunno.

Maybe make it something like ...

Sell 1 card = 1mc
Sell 2 cards = 1mc + 2mc = 3mc
Sell 3 cards - 1mc + 2mc + 3mc = 6mc
etc., etc.

This is potentially interesting. You'd still probably buy every card you can (and probably still get the Planner milestone), but then you have to make a decision when to sell and how many. You sell multiple cards as a single action. If you sell five cards, you break even. If you sell six or more, you make a profit, and potentially a rather big profit! But six cards is an investment of 18 MC, and only yields a profit of 3 MC (21-18). If you manage to sell 10 cards at once, you make a profit of 25 MC - not too shabby - but with an initial investment of 30 MC. And that doesn't even take into account the time it takes to accumulate those cards. And of course, some of these cards, you'll actually want to play. But there's also the advantage of getting an extra card for free each turn.

If you sell one card you got for free, obviously you're making a profit of 1.
If you sell one free card and one or two you paid for, you break even.
If you sell one free card and three you paid for, you again make a profit of 1.
If you sell one free card and four you paid for, you make a profit of 3 (15-12).
If you sell one free card and five you paid for, you make a profit of 6 (21-15).
If you sell one free card and six you paid for, you make a profit of 10 (28-18).
And so on.

Then the question becomes: How badly do you need the cash right now, as opposed to getting more cash later? This is an interesting decision to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Maloof

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
As a simpler option, it might be nice to have an action to sell one card for 3 MC. That gives them more flexibility in holding extra cards for possible combos, without letting them buy absolutely everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flight Doc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it should have an action of “Draw 3 cards from the discard pile and look at them. Keep one of them and discard the rest.” Or it could be “Look at 2 cards from the discard pile. You may choose to purchase them or discard them.”

The theme would be based on researching ideas other companies have abondoned. This would be exciting because it would potentially allow one to get those cards that serve no purpose early in the game but would later. By buying the cards, you are unable to generate money from selling them. It’s more about getting cards a second chance. Someone may have tossed predators thinking, “great, now I can play tons of animals without fear.” “Oops, we decided to reinvestigate predators, buddy.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PenguinMD wrote:
I think it should have an action of “Draw 3 cards from the discard pile and look at them. Keep one of them and discard the rest.” Or it could be “Look at 2 cards from the discard pile. You may choose to purchase them or discard them.”

I loathe any idea that makes the discard order matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper McCann
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
PenguinMD wrote:

Haha! I agree with the comment, but I didn't realize how strongly! Reshuffling the deck (though a rarity) is just as terrible to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ponymont wrote:

lactamaeon wrote:

Haha! I agree with the comment, but I didn't realize how strongly! Reshuffling the deck (though a rarity) is just as terrible to me.

Reshuffling isn't even comparable. Not only does it come up fairly rarely, it's straightforward how and when to do it. Similarly, there's not much wrong with a "dumpster-diving" mechanic. Just don't make it care about the order.

When discard order matters, every single research phase gets gummed up by making players discard in some rules-enforced order that gets made up just to deal with this one damn effect, and if the pile gets knocked over, you've changed someone's effect. I'd much rather be allowed to discard as soon as I've made my choices, and let the other players at my table do the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Thinking about it, I think all you need is the following:

Action - Discard two cards to raise MC production by 1.

This essentially means that you're selling two patents at once for 5MC of value, close to the 6MC it took to buy 'em. This greatly mitigates the risk of buying cards at the start of each round, though the delayed payoff keeps it from being too rote of a call.

Alternatively:

Action - Discard one card to gain one resource of your choice.

This lets you "sell" a patent for something other than cash, once per round. The value isn't ever more than was paid for the card (and is often close), giving you a safety net for being a little more speculative in buying cards while also offering a more interesting choice than simply getting your 3MC back would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flight Doc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My draw from the discard pile should’ve been clearer. It didn’t say draw from the top. It simply stated the pile. Meaning, without looking, pick the cards from anywhere in the discard pile. So order of discarding is irrelevant. It also allows one to grab a card dropped early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Duewer
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Another possible change would be:
Sell cards for 3 MC. Starting with first player in round, others may buy sold cards for 3 MC. This could...slow things down.

Mostly, I think it'd be fun to have a corporation that likes card draw. It seems reasonable to believe that, with efficient play, the 3 MC cost just transfers the decisions from whether to buy to 'when to sell'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.