Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
DEFIO

Designer: Joe Slack

Entry for 2018 Two-Player PnP Game Design Contest:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1939295/2018-two-player-pnp...

About Defio

Defio - Esperanto for "challenge" - is a two player
game that is simple, elegant, and addictive.

Legend has it that Kings and Queens settled their
disputes not through brutal warfare, but instead
through a game of Defio. Players play as royal rulers
in this strategic battle between kingdoms.

Imagine: A dice game that is based completely on
skill and strategy, not luck. It seems easy at first,
but the challenge is quickly revealed as players make
moves to help themselves win while also blocking
their opponent.

Players roll and place the 25 dice on the main board.
Next, players select their own kingdom board with numbers
1 to 6 distributed throughout, sitting side-by-side. Now
each player gets to take any two actions, either modifying
or taking a die. However, they can only take a die if it matches
the value on the same square of their own kingdom
board. The first player with five in a row wins!

At first this sounds easy, but there is a lot more
strategy involved than first meets the eye.

Components

1 Main board (provided)
10 Player boards (provided)
25 Standard dice (players to provide)

Link to Defio PnP Files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sc8icw288nkd9jh/AAAODgpxTlww1LaWp...

Design categories:

Best Use of Theme
Best Art/Graphic Design
Best Rule Book
Best Mechanics
Best Game
Best Date Night Game
Best Game to Play with Your Child
Best Alternative to Chess/Go/Backgammon
Best Gamer's Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good. I think my wife might enjoy playing this - RARE!

Here are a couple of suggestions for better English usage in your rules.

1. Players can do TAKE the same action -
2 Only one die may occupany OCCUPY

Thanks for your game. It has an elegant simplicity. The dice actions are not uncommon but I think the idea of the Player Board with the "puzzle" element makes Defio quite different, well feels fresh to me. I'm yet to try it, but it seems the first few moves will be quick takes and placement, then it will quickly get thinky and awkward as you both try to form fives and block your opponent from doing so.

I wonder what it would be like to have a more MAP-ish look to the game with towns joined by roads and areas with no roads such as fields and lakes (fewer placement options). It would be quite different but might have visual appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the contest!

This sounds like a really nifty use of dice.

Best of luck,
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked her like a nose! She was happy to play, and play and play! We both enjoyed the game, getting in 3 plays and resolving to make this a keeper.

We didn't get as strategic as we might have, played pretty simply, but she who must win or get sulky quickly worked out that balancing attack with defense was key.

The big negative was the visual presentation. A little love would have made a big difference. So here's the first fan made version. I chose ancient city states as Kingdoms and made the main DEFIO board the same size as the Kingdom boards with the 3 action rules in clear view below.

We liked your game, and I am glad I spent an hour pimping it up a bit. We are all suckers for a bit of eye candy (like that?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love your custom version of the boards, Garry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Slack
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks JK!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Slack
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
GarryHoddinott wrote:
Picked her like a nose! She was happy to play, and play and play! We both enjoyed the game, getting in 3 plays and resolving to make this a keeper.

We didn't get as strategic as we might have, played pretty simply, but she who must win or get sulky quickly worked out that balancing attack with defense was key.

The big negative was the visual presentation. A little love would have made a big difference. So here's the first fan made version. I chose ancient city states as Kingdoms and made the main DEFIO board the same size as the Kingdom boards with the 3 action rules in clear view below.

We liked your game, and I am glad I spent an hour pimping it up a bit. We are all suckers for a bit of eye candy (like that?)

Wow! Great visual changes, Garry. Much appreciated. Thanks as well for the wording suggestions!

I definitely focused more on the game play than the look of the boards, but this absolutely makes everything more appealing.

I'm glad you enjoyed Defio!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Plante
Canada
Schomberg
Ontario
flag msg tools
I've playtested this game with my girlfriend a few months ago. Easy to learn and more str a ten than you think at first glance. My type of game. And a great 2-player game. Thumbs up Joe !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Joe,

I've had a read of the rules and a look at the components.

It does look like a lot of thinky game from just a few simple rules - very well done on that!

I didn't notice any major issues with the rules etc. One minor point would be if you are playing across the board from the other player, which way up is the main board for each player? It might be even more thinky if each player viewed the main board (and the dice positions) from their own opposite perspective... Advanced variant maybe?

Although outside the scope of this contest, it looks like it would work with three or even four players. I'm sure you've thought of that already.

I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to play (I'm aiming to read and view all 46 games in the contest) but this seems like it would be a really easy one to print and play!

Best of luck,
JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Slack
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
JohnKean wrote:
Hi Joe,

I didn't notice any major issues with the rules etc. One minor point would be if you are playing across the board from the other player, which way up is the main board for each player? It might be even more thinky if each player viewed the main board (and the dice positions) from their own opposite perspective... Advanced variant maybe?

Thanks so much, John! If you do get a chance to play, I'd love to get your feedback.

Players actually play side-by-side, which makes it both an offensive and defensive battle, so the position of the main board is the same for both players. That would be an interesting advanced variant though!

Initially I thought Defio might be a 2-4 player game, but ever since the first playtest, it felt that this was definitely only a 2 player game. More dice or different mechanics would be needed in order for more players to have the chance to win. I'm not against looking at variations to expand player counts though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.