Leaving Earth: Outer Planets» Forums » General

Subject: Solo: do you use Soyuz-Soyuz as your primary EO lifter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Myles Carey

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
Just finished my first OP play , Normal, won pretty easily.
Really enjoyed it. Played win condition = 1/2 base missions, all outer non explorable with 1/2 of OP missions (non-exp & revealed) points needed.

Anyway, many solo base game plays & one OP has me convinced all I need for heavy lifting is Soyuz-Soyuz.

It gets me 7 payload to earth orbit where I just stockpile and assemble what need over time.

I have never really bothered with Saturns playing solo.

Is that your general experience / approach when playing solo?

Thanks,
Myles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Seanmyles wrote:
Anyway, many solo base game plays & one OP has me convinced all I need for heavy lifting is Soyuz-Soyuz.

I just wrapped up a OP game (major fail) using Soyuz-Soyuz. I like it. I may try multi-stage Saturn in the future, just to see how much junk I can get to orbit all at once. I bet quite a lot. Expensive though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually use Saturn-Saturn, which gets a payload of 20 to EO, and rarely use Soyuz.

When you start playing on Hard or Very Hard you'll find that the extra payload becomes very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what missions I want to achieve. If there are manned missions to Mars or Venus then usually Saturns will fill the lift to EO role; on the other hand, if probes by themselves get most of the missions completed then Soyuz do the job. There's a break-even point for any given combination of missions, but that calculation also depends on the order the missions are attempted and the results of testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soyuz-Soyuz costs you $2.29 per mass to LEO; Saturn-Saturn costs you $1.50. If you need to launch more and frequent payloads it can be worth it, but generally I push Saturn early. As Robert says, it depends on the available missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
I've never been a Saturn guy. Being able to only buy one a turn is too darn slow for me.

Unless I can get extra money from the moon, I stick with Soyuz. If I need to do a heavy lifting mission (Human on Venus, for example), I'll get Proton rockets, but that's as big as I get.

In multi-player, Saturns are easier to justify as the extra cash you get when the smaller missions get wrapped up by folks using the little rockets can help you fill in your expenses so you can get the big point missions at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soyuz for me. You get them proven faster, 7 payload mostly is enough, and you can transport cheap single mass stuff (like probes and junos) to orbit while testing without losing much.
Plus they give you access to protons which can be a game changer on larger heavy lift missions.
I also tend to use Soyuz in the base game, but in OP they are even better for the job as it is critical to get to the outer solar system locations with probes asap to scout for the missions you need to achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.