Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cang Ling Yee
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Pax Vobiscum
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't wrap head around the numerical amount of actual damage dished out or taken so I'd appreciate some help here.

Say in a hypothetical defend situation, a psi blade faces off with a violence reaver.

Psi blade is rank two and is equipped with M-Vess
She failed combat test while defending. Reaver gets 3 damage in.

Now how does the damage mitigation work? M-Vess is unused and has 3 cubes on it. Do I:
1.) only use 1 cube to mitigate the entire 1 damage- which also happen to count as scoring 3 hits as shown in their bullet illustration.
2.) spend all cubes to mitigate that 3 hits- 1 cube per damage.
(Violence reaver can hit for 3 HP on a failed combat test)

Now hypothetical defense situation again, this time defending against a level 5 shadow. Shadow will be damaging 5 HP since Psi Blade fails combat test so will now need her level 2 passive.
How much exactly does the force shield counter damage the attacker? Does their hit point go down by 3 since psi blade can hit for 3 per damage?
Or literally only 1 hit and the shadow go down by one.

I think what I don’t understand is what exactly is the numerical value of 1 damage.
Does 1 damage always equals to bullets illustration? (Meaning 1 damage can equal 2 hits for example)
Or is 1 damage taken literally, 1 dmg means 1 score.

If damage cannot be mitigated frequently, that just means that a even a level 5 shadow or torment reaper can easily kill off any heroes with 1 hit even though they might be able to block one damage. (which makes the game impossibly hard for me)
Of course the story is very different if 1 damage is actually the numerical value from the bullet illustration. Then M-Vess and force shield would actually be more useful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
The level 5 Shadow only does 1 or 2 damage, as printed on its standee. Its level affects it's likelihood of hitting but not its damage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cang Ling Yee
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Pax Vobiscum
mbmbmbmbmb
deadmarlowe wrote:
The level 5 Shadow only does 1 or 2 damage, as printed on its standee. Its level affects it's likelihood of hitting but not its damage

Thank you Jonathan!
This changes things a little.

So total damage from enemies is not equal to the combat test successes correct?
The hero's combat success can means that they can score high damage (as per rule book example) and monster is only limited to what is printed and hit once?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the late response Cang Ling Yee, but yes, you have that correct! Remember though, that if you're attacked by multiple enemies during the same night phase, there is a penalty to your Combat score (-1 for each Combat Test beyond the first one in the same night phase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.