Subject: Solo Monster Combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the multiplayer game you have to meet or exceed the strength of the monster to kill it and then, based on what you rolled, you score Reputation Stars. The solo variant says you score Reputation Stars based on how much you exceed the strength of the monster. Is that correct?

I am reading the solo rules as to defeat the Chimera you need to at least roll a 14, the Chimera has a strength of 14. However, you would need to roll at least a 28 to begin scoring Reputation Stars? The Chimera score track begins at 14.

Unless you are able to make a gigantic dice pool, raise your base attack considerably, or a mixture of both. I don't see players being able to score that much on the final combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello X Shrike, regarding the solitaire version of the Chimera, it is true that you need to roll a 14 or higher to defeat the Chimera. In fact, in the solitaire rules if you roll less then the monster's strength, the monster will kill your character and make you instantly lose the game!

The scoring for the Chimera is as such:

Combat Roll: 14-17 (1RP) 18-21 (2RP) 22-25 (4RP) 26-29 (6RP) 30+ (8RP)

So if your Combat Roll was 28, you would score 6 Reputation Points for defeating the Chimera!

I think I see where the confusion is happening. I believe you are under the impression that you have to roll what's on the bottom of the card in addition to the monster's strength! That would be absolutely crazy if that were the case. Thankfully, it's not!

If your Combat Roll was 14, you still have defeated the monster and you would earn 1 Reputation Point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I figured the two modes would score the same but, the solo rules says exceed. I read exceed, using the 14 Chimera, as the first 14 points kind of don't matter the next 14+ was what would matter.

I felt I was splitting hairs, as you could interrupt the actual scoring as seeing how much you exceed the strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.