Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

do you know of a way of sending the contents of a Google Doc to an email address (as attachment or whatever), either periodically, or upon an update?

I know so far only Google Spreadsheets has such a feature (if I am not mistaken), but not Google Docs themselves... but I would need a solution for Docs if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Chrome, there is an extension called Checker Plus for Google Drive that handles docs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glsonn wrote:
For Chrome, there is an extension called Checker Plus for Google Drive that handles docs.

I need to add a wrinkle I forgot to talk about - I cannot access Google Drive from work, so this has to work on the background...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
glsonn wrote:

I need to add a wrinkle I forgot to talk about - I cannot access Google Drive from work, so this has to work on the background...

I guess I don't understand the problem. If you can only access at home, why can't you just use the extension (if it really does what you're asking) when at home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
glsonn wrote:
Joeyeti wrote:
glsonn wrote:

I guess I don't understand the problem. If you can only access at home, why can't you just use the extension (if it really does what you're asking) when at home?

I'm reading it as because he can't access google drive from work, he wants the contents of the doc emailed to him, on a schedule, so that it can be accessed at work.

But perhaps I should just let him clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glsonn wrote:
Joeyeti wrote:
glsonn wrote:

The issue is that I need the content usually while at work (as the other party updates it during the day) and getting to it at night from home might sometimes be too late... I know this is a very peculiar request and nowadays I am using a tedious workaround of accessing it on my phone, copying the text into an email and opening that email on my PC... so it is not that I have absolutely no way of doing this, but it is like getting to your neighbour's the other way through the adjoining village first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation.

Maybe you need something other than Google docs then. Sorry, I don't know what that would be though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if this works for you, but you can attach a script to the Doc, then use a trigger to run the script every day at a certain time.

For example, create a new script called sendEmails, or something like that, in your document (under Tools>Script Editor)

function sendEmails() {
var body = DocumentApp.getActiveDocument().getBody().getText();
var subject = "Contents of My Document";
MailApp.sendEmail("you@gmail.com", subject , body);
}

Paste that script in there, with your email address and whatever subject you want. Then inside the same script editor window, you can create a new trigger (Under "All Your Triggers"). Pick the newly created script to run, and "time driven" as the Event. Pick the time(s) you want the doc sent...

The first time you run the script it will ask for permission to do it. You basically are agreeing to let an unverified script send an email from your gmail account, to your gmail account (or another account). The code should work, but maybe not as you need it to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puckhead wrote:
Don't know if this works for you, but you can attach a script to the Doc, then use a trigger to run the script every day at a certain time.

For example, create a new script called sendEmails, or something like that, in your document (under Tools>Script Editor)

function sendEmails() {
var body = DocumentApp.getActiveDocument().getBody().getText();
var subject = "Contents of My Document";
MailApp.sendEmail("you@gmail.com", subject , body);
}

Paste that script in there, with your email address and whatever subject you want. Then inside the same script editor window, you can create a new trigger (Under "All Your Triggers"). Pick the newly created script to run, and "time driven" as the Event. Pick the time(s) you want the doc sent...

The first time you run the script it will ask for permission to do it. You basically are agreeing to let an unverified script send an email from your gmail account, to your gmail account (or another account). The code should work, but maybe not as you need it to.

Thx! Will try it today during the night...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx script works, thx! Surely makes my life easier now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.