Subject: Curious about Geek rating and ranking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bodhi Gray
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hi

I know this has been discussed much but there's still something I don't get about how the geek rating is calculated.

For example:

Gaia Project has a geek rating of 7.923 from average of 8.71 and 3767 voters, and is ranked 16.

But Kingdom Death has a rating of 7.817 from an average of 8.93 and 4484 voters. Ranked 31.

There are many examples like this. How can that be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DhBodhi wrote:
Gaia Project has a geek rating of 7.923 from average of 8.71 and 3767 voters, and is ranked 16.
But Kingdom Death has a rating of 7.817 from an average of 8.93 and 4484 voters. Ranked 31.

How can Gaia project be above KDM while both average rating and number of voters are lower than KDM??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Because KD:M has penises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
DhBodhi wrote:
I know this has been discussed much but there's still something I don't get about how the geek rating is calculated.

As is mentioned in most existing threads about this and in the wiki page Ratings, there are undocumented aspects to the calculations, e.g. to remove shill votes.

Please just accept it. Or post in one of the existing zillion threads asking why games A and B are rated X and Y but ranked M and N instead of creating Yet Another Thread About It.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Are you asking how the BGG ratings formula can produce such results? Others have answered that.

Or are you asking how BGG users can give these two lame games such high scores? No one can answer that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
DhBodhi wrote:

To put Russ' words in a different perspective: as a normal user you cannot do the calculation yourself; reverse engineering the algorithms is very difficult because of a lack of specific raw data which is hard to obtain efficiently.

You'll just have to trust the magic, I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bodhi Gray
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hi

I was asking how the algorithm can produce such results, but it looks like it’s been exhaustively discussed without a solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

I really do think this is kind of the reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

I really do think this is kind of the reason.
In the abstract sense, yes.

Pete (isn't calling out any individual... um... member)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.