Dinosaur Island» Forums » Variants

Subject: DI "Out of order" variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Warburg
Denmark
Hørsholm
flag msg tools
Disclaimer - I'm a backer of the current kickstarter(DI: back from extinction) but I haven't actually played a game of DI yet. However reading the rules and seeing reviews etc. has started the flow of the creative juices, and I just can't help myself.

I was wondering if a persistent effect(beside the loss of VP) of the visitors getting eaten/stomped and fleeing could be achieved by having a Visitor anxiety tracker, which goes up when Visitors are eaten.
This value is then subtracted from the excitement to determine how many visitors come next time.
Either the tracker goes up based on the direct amount of visitors eaten or it goes up by a set value based on ranking of visitors eaten.

However to mitigate this people would be give one or more of the following possible choices:

1) Let the visitors get eaten -No change in the amount of visitors eaten.
2) "Out of order" - Close down a dino exhibit for an entire round reducing the anxiety tracker and visitors eaten by the threat level for the selected dino.
3) Shooting a dinosaur - Remove a dino meeple reducing the total threat level by the threat level for the selected dino and reducing security by 1 "He died a heroic death"

1) Is just the standard base choice. which could help gain the 1st player position.
2) would let the player score more and lose less points this round, at the cost of having less open spaces next round (and you could also have not being able to score points for closed exhibits at the end of the game).
3) 3 is not as effective as 2) and the player loses a dino, however the dino exhibit remains open for the next round, and threat could be less of an issue.

(Edit, i forgot) The Visitor anxiety track goes down by 1 each round to a minimum of 0. "If you wait long enough they'll forget all the bad stuff"

Practically the excitement track could be used, if a fitting player colored piece could be found. A couple of "out of order" tokens would also be useful, to mark the closed exhibits

I was thinking it would give the players a couple of fun thematic choices for that phase, whether or not this throws the balancing completely out of whack is entirely possible.

Would this be considered a plot twist or en entirely new module?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Parsons
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ive played dino island many times with my wife and this is really a cool variant you're talking about. Probably too much info to be a plot twist but maybe they'd have to create a whole new module for this. It creates a bunch of new interesting choices. This sounds really well though out considering you haven't played yet. I think you'll really like this game because you seem to really understand the mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Warburg
Denmark
Hørsholm
flag msg tools
Thanks . I am really looking forward to playing, and I am definitely considering the split shipping they are offering on the current kickstarter, just so I can get a crack at the game asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Parsons
United States
California
flag msg tools
After our first few plays, it was my second favorite game behind Scythe and her third favorite behind Scythe and The Voyages of Marco Polo...we think it's that good...at least at 2 players. We havent played it at a higher count yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.