Subject: too easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have played a few games and it always seems too easy. Just gets to a point where there is no way we can lose. Now I add everything from Wulfsburg and the NPC zombies. It was so easy I even went ahead and added one more boss monsters from the boss expansion.

We play the rules with the NPCs if you kill a set of them you get a relic card. Maybe we should limit that to one time or none at all?

Problem is a couple of us end up with lvl 3 weapons and there is no risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never play with NPCs. Get rid of those and watch your win % drop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NPCs make the game easier. If you find your game too easy, remove them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
NPCs make the game easier. If you find your game too easy, remove them.

exactly, and they don't add ANYTHING interesting anyways. sold mine and kept the english artifact cards.

if you want extra difficulty, add more expansions/zombie types and necromancers. you can definitely add enough to make the game brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
More necromancers will definitely do the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Skip the NPC expansions and it will be a lot harder, especially with the boss monsters. And Wulsburg contains some very strong weapons (those that can create dragon fire), that should only be added if you add more bosses/wolfz/etc.

My usual setup (in addition to core) contains deadeye walkers, crowz, 1-2 special abominations, 1-2 additional special necromancers.
If I want to ramp up difficulty further I throw in wolfz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the advice. NPCs will be gone. I wish I could get a hand on deadeye, they seem brutal. Also, when we start we get all the starting equipment and take as much as we want. Should we limit that to one item per person to start off with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Tang
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everyone else, don't play with the NPC/relic rule. I only got the cards to have a random factor when the game says to put a vault item in a vault.

Just to clarify, you found the wolfz and the wolfbomination with their 3 moves to be very easy? I guess you play better than my group. Our last loss came about with 3 wolfz and a fatty ganging up on a survivor. We sent other survivors in and were able to kill some but bad dice rolls ultimately meant we were short 1 hp in distribution of wounds and everyone had to survive in this scenario.

Anyway, a few abominations should bring the difficulty level up. Do you have extra necromancers? I remember Ostokar killed us before by dragging an Ablomination with him and wipe us out with AoE attack. (well, not kill everyone, but it's a scenario where everyone has to survive)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you just planning the core or do you have some of the more OP'd heros?

Do you play pass the torch and just keep hiding and searching early on and keep the zombies in the blue zone until you get all suited up? While these are perfectly "legal" strategies, I find that it makes the game play extremely boring and I try to limit that as much as possible. You can try making rooms only searchable twice etc.

It's good to think why the NPCs make it easier and it's not just the weapons. It has to do with diluting the spawn deck. Part of why makes the game suddenly hard is when you run out of zombie minis and everyone gets extra activations because of it. So even if you had dead eyes and other baddie box addons, you'll still diluting the deck and it makes the game a bit easier even if they enemies are "harder".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes we played with core heroes, and yes we found even the wolfz easy (just always killed them before they could attack).

We did search a ton the first few turns with a torch and got some amazing weapons. One of our characters (the dark elf in wulfsburg box) had a special axe and with his abilities could kill 6 guys in a row. I was the dwarf and had plate armor so had a 2+ save. Another character had the crossbow that does 3 damage. Just got stupid. haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'd add that the NPC's are also terribly unthematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eddieharr wrote:
Also, when we start we get all the starting equipment and take as much as we want. Should we limit that to one item per person to start off with?

1 starting equipment card per survivor, I think it is in the rules somewhere.

wrote:
We did search a ton the first few turns with a torch and got some amazing weapons.

"search a ton" sounds wrong ... each survivor may use the search action only once per turn. even with a torch (and probably not everyone has a torch, unless you are passing it around every time), finding good weapons in a few turns is not guaranteed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I never play with NPCs. Get rid of those and watch your win % drop.

No joke. NPCs trivialize the difficulty and I won't play with them anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghorron wrote:
eddieharr wrote:
Also, when we start we get all the starting equipment and take as much as we want. Should we limit that to one item per person to start off with?

1 starting equipment card per survivor, I think it is in the rules somewhere.

wrote:
We did search a ton the first few turns with a torch and got some amazing weapons.

"search a ton" sounds wrong ... each survivor may use the search action only once per turn. even with a torch (and probably not everyone has a torch, unless you are passing it around every time), finding good weapons in a few turns is not guaranteed.

Wow I missed that part. Yeah everyone should start with one of the Grey pieces of equipment. Only one per survivor. They're actually labeled "Starting equipment" I believe.

What I think by searching a "ton" means, people have been know to search a room jump out and jump back in a search on their next turn. Or jump back and forth between rooms and search on each turn (but only once per turn). So if you have six survivors going back and for searching and trading weapons on every turn because their in the same two zones you can get through the weapons and find the better ones and dual wield ones rather quickly and get them into the hands of the hero's they're "made" for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Tang
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddieharr wrote:
We did search a ton the first few turns with a torch and got some amazing weapons. One of our characters (the dark elf in wulfsburg box) had a special axe and with his abilities could kill 6 guys in a row. I was the dwarf and had plate armor so had a 2+ save. Another character had the crossbow that does 3 damage. Just got stupid. haha.

You either have some amazingly lucky draw or you did search wrong. Lets say you did search with every survivors (assuming the default 6) in the first 3 turns, that's 18 cards and you managed to draw the top tier equipment out of a stack of equipment a few couple of inches tall. That's amazing luck. My group usually get water, apple, and other less than useful stuff. You didn't happen to take out cards from your equipment draw deck, did you?

Besides, some of those weapons has level requirement. The vampiric crossbow is OP though, yellow level and can do 3 dmg and heals. But in our last game, someone draw that, but we lost before anyone got to yellow (this is the wolfz and fatty ganging up on a survior scenario)

eddieharr wrote:
yes we found even the wolfz easy (just always killed them before they could attack)

Hmm, we try too, and sometimes it doesn't happen when we have strings of bad rolls. Most of our losses are because we only manage 1 successful hit out of a survivor's attack.

OK, since you seem to always get good loot and you have no trouble making your attack rolls, I'll stick with you and your group are amazingly lucky. You won't find challenge in games like this where luck is as a big a factor as well as situational awareness. If we were in the Fallout universe, I'd say your Luck stat is 9 or 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddieharr wrote:
Yes we played with core heroes, and yes we found even the wolfz easy (just always killed them before they could attack).

You know that 3 damage just means he can kill stronger zombies, not more of the weaker ones, do you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Must have just had lucky draws. We only searched once per turn and passed torch around.

That presents another problem. If you have really good draws early on can really make them game too easy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Alvarez
United States
Sellersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddieharr wrote:

Don't have the rulebook in front of me, but I thought it was always 1 starting item per person. That's how I've always played. Otherwise you get people dual-wielding weapons right off the bat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Tang
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godzilla614 wrote:
eddieharr wrote:

Don't have the rulebook in front of me, but I thought it was always 1 starting item per person. That's how I've always played. Otherwise you get people dual-wielding weapons right off the bat.

Oh I missed this point. I don't think there anything that's called out to prevent distribution of excess equipment (unless it's in an answer from a dev to such question). What is called out on p.7 is that each survivor starts with at least one. In this case, the words "at least" seems to be placed to call out the fact that some survivors has a designated starting weapon that they get in addition to the starting equipment.

However, given the game give you 6 starting equipment and 6 survivors and Wulfsburg add 4 more of each, I believe the spirit of the game is that each survivor starts with one. If someone decide to play with advantage, well, that's his or her choice. It's no different than others who decide to get all the heroes and choose the 6 most powerful ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There’s an official FAQ thread here somewhere that points out you start with one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1507018/guillotine-games-of...

Sorry on my phone and don’t know to do this properly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d bet cold hard cash the OP is doing something wrong. Sometimes the game comes out easy; just as often the same random chance makes it very hard. There’s no way it’s always super easy with wolfz and wolfbomination in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:
eddieharr wrote:

You know that 3 damage just means he can kill stronger zombies, not more of the weaker ones, do you?

Eddie is talking about the Ax of Carnage on Morrigan with her Reaper skill. If Morrigan rolls 4 dice, gets ALL 4+, Carnage gets one more auto success (5 hits), and Reaper kills one more zombie of the same type. However, the Ax of Carnage can't be used until Orange level.

Also, the OP said they "just kill wolves first". In addition to the wolves 3 actions, they have a target priority of 4. I'm not sure how this is always easy to kill the wolves first.

If you within 2 zones from where a wolf spawns, you are most likely assigning wounds (could be out of eyesight and less noise).

eddieharr wrote:
Must have just had lucky draws. We only searched once per turn and passed torch around.

So, here's a "problem", you are playing a thematic game, but using a legal move that is non-thematic and broke. The puff, puff, pass the torch would let you get twice as many cards for every person, as the zombies just mill around you. If you want to do this, then you are going to need to compensate in other ways-- which will make the game more luck based, as when you don't pull a torch it will be HARD. It's not in the spirit of the game, but legal in the rules and has made it to easy for you (if you are doing everything else right, but not sure how you got the xp to use the ax of carnage doing this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmb
The game definitely can be pretty easy in the late game. Challenge is mainly in getting through the first couple of turns and getting good equipment and hopefully no abomination spawns before you have 3 damage weapon.

It is easy to make the game harder though if you want. Just add in more Necromancers. Get rid of vault weapons. Don't use certain heroes etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.