Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
88 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Marvel Munchkin player coming over.. wondering about favourite heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi! Looking at getting into this game but I'm one of those people that HAS to have my favuorite characters included or will get salty.

My favourite is Hawkeye. I've seen him in the hero set, but is he like a one and done, or are there extra cards of him, etc?

I also really like Human Torch, Gambit, Arachne, and Dazzler. My two best friends that I will be playing with favourite's are Wolverine and Moon Knight.

Thanks for any help. I know it's a stupid question, but I'm a stupid person hahaha.. thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hawkeye, Gambit, and Wolverine are in the base set.

Human Torch is in the small box Fantastic Four expansion.

Dazzler is in the large box X-men expansion.

Moon Knight is in the small box Paint the Town Red expansion.

Arachne is not in the game although Spider Woman is in the small box Paint the Town Red expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badnatey wrote:
My favourite is Hawkeye. I've seen him in the hero set, but is he like a one and done, or are there extra cards of him, etc?

You already got an answer as to which of your groups' favorite characters are included in the base game and certain expansions, but I wanted to address the point that I bolded in your question.

This game isn't like Munchkin or other games where you just mix every card together to make a deck, and play with whatever comes up. In a game like that, you might never see Hawkeye if there's only one or two copies of his card out of 200 cards, and he ends up being on the bottom of the deck.

In Legendary, each hero has 14 cards (5 copies of one common card, 5 copies of another common card, 3 copies of an uncommon card, and one unique rare card). At the start of the game, you choose 5 heroes to include that game, and combine the 14 cards for each hero to make a 70 card hero deck. (Usually - sometimes it's more or less, varying from 3-6 heroes in the hero deck, depending on scheme and number of players)

So in a normal game of Legendary, if you choose Hawkeye as one of the heroes to use that game, his cards will be 20% of the hero deck, and you'll usually go through half or more of that deck during the course of a game. So you'll probably see 5-10 of his 14 cards during the course of an average game.

Each player starts with 12 cards in their personal deck plus whatever hero cards you recruit to add to your own deck during the game, and you draw 6 new cards from your deck to play each turn. So you end up playing the same cards from your deck over and over as you cycle through the deck, which includes any Hawkeye cards you happen to recruit for your deck during the game.

So the short answer is: When you include Hawkeye as one of your 5 heroes for a game, you'll almost definitely get a chance to use at least one of his cards.

But due to the nature of the game, you aren't going to want to use the same 5 heroes every time. The base set comes with 15, with other sets adding dozens more heroes to the game, and you choose during setup which 5 heroes you'll use for that game. So in a game where you include Hawkeye, you'll definitely get to play him. But you'll almost certainly want to play some games without him, just for variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses! Very appreciated.

One quick question, if I go pick up the base game today.. which expansions should I grab off the bat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badnatey wrote:

One quick question, if I go pick up the base game today.. which expansions should I grab off the bat?

Remember, there are so-called "big box" expansions (they put out one a year), and the "small box" expansions (two a year). You find a legion of threads here about what to buy. Here are some short answers (true, in my opinion, but also supported in those many threads).

1. Get the Dark City big box expansion right away. The potential of the core set is fully realized when combined with Dark City. Most everyone considers this the mandatory add-on.

2. There are LOTS of great expansions, big and small. Everyone tends to agree that Paint the Town Red and Fantastic Four are great. I would personally applaud Noir, Captain America 75, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

3. The most recent Big Box expansion, X-Men, knocked it out the park and added some much-needed difficulty.

4. The Spider-man Homecoming small box, which for the first time used movie stills instead of artwork, was controversial and many members (including myself) do not like it. Perhaps wait on that one.

5. You will likely end up getting them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
flag msg tools
Haha, yeah as long as I enjoy the game I'll probably end up with it all. I don't think I can drop for everything right now, looks like that would be almost $1,000 Canadian lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
overhaul wrote:

Hawkeye, Gambit, and Wolverine are in the base set.

Wolverine is actually in every big box in this game.
(Except Civil War? I think?)

overhaul wrote:

Arachne is not in the game although Spider Woman is in the small box Paint the Town Red expansion.

Different Spider-woman.
PTTR has Jessica Drew
Arachne is Julia Carpenter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just buy the core set and play it, see if you like it, and then maybe get expansions. There's a lot of stuff in the core set, and a lot of different combinations you can play just out of that box. It has a lot of the big names that people know from the comics and movies.

The expansions add a lot more variety, challenge and depth when acquired, but just getting the base set should give you an idea if you like the game or not. Then getting the expansions one at a time will incrementally add new keywords and ideas to the game. Buying a bunch of stuff at once might give you overload!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
I would just buy the core set and play it, see if you like it, and then maybe get expansions. There's a lot of stuff in the core set, and a lot of different combinations you can play just out of that box. It has a lot of the big names that people know from the comics and movies.

The expansions add a lot more variety, challenge and depth when acquired, but just getting the base set should give you an idea if you like the game or not. Then getting the expansions one at a time will incrementally add new keywords and ideas to the game. Buying a bunch of stuff at once might give you overload!

I agree with this, except I truly feel that "Core+Dark City" is necessary to truly experience the potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And be aware, we make custom dividers and share them on here, organizing the cards and sorting them in different ways. There's a hard-to-describe fun factor in messing with these cards that's almost like collecting comics.

Some people organize them alphabetically. But those people are wrong and are bad people. The correct way is chronologically, by release of expansion set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is an outstanding buying guide:

An unofficial buyer's guide to Legendary 2018 edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:

Some people organize them alphabetically. But those people are wrong and are bad people. The correct way is chronologically, by release of expansion set.

I'm a very bad person!

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
msg tools
mbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
jhochges wrote:

I agree with this, except I truly feel that "Core+Dark City" is necessary to truly experience the potential.

You'll hear a lot of people saying Core+Dark City is necessary. I'll say that either Secret Wars Vol 1 or Vol 2 (but especially vol 1) are just as good places to start your expansion collection. X-Men is good too, especially because you get Dazzler, but be warned - the masterminds in that set are much, much more difficult than in the base. Dark City and SW I and II offer a much smoother difficulty curve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Medaris
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
badnatey wrote:

I'll somewhat echo was has been said already. Dark City is a must buy expansion to me. The base game is fine, but it has too few masterminds. Dark City will instantly fix this problem and give you a ton more heroes, schemes, villains, etc. to boot.

If you were going to buy one more small box and one more large box, here's the direction I would go:

* I would pick Paint the Town Red for my small box. It comes with Moon Knight, as noted above and a couple of really good masterminds in Mysterio and Carnage. Fantastic Four would be my second choice, but it feels to play a little better when you have all of the family in a game, which never happens for me when I play with my boys.

* For the big box, it's a really close toss-up between X-Men and Secret Wars Vol 1. X-Men is probably the best made big box after Dark City for what it introduces and it really does help amp up the difficulty. As a kid, the X-Men were my comic of choice, so seeing Psylocke, Havok, Jubilee, and other of my old mutant friends was great. However, Secret Wars Vol 1 adds in some new mechanics such as sidekicks and later expansions build off of, and it includes a lot of heroes that are popular today because of the MCU, such as Dr. Strange, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel. It also adds in a neat mechanic where one player can turn against the others. But Secret Wars won't give you any of the characters you are looking for. Ultimately, I would vote for Secret Wars Vol 1, though I would not fault you for jumping on the X-Men set!

Either way, I'd make sure you like the base game before you spend too much. I think it is a great game, but the set-up and breakdown time is a bit too much for some people and I've had a few friends who just weren't grabbed by the game and had little interest in playing it multiple times. Weirdos.

Good luck and enjoy your new obsession!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm heading out shortly and will let everyone know the damage when I return.

Thank you for ALL the help. I can tell I'll enjoy this community regardless. Can't believe I haven't been here before, although the only game I really play is Munchkin! lol

I think I'll enjoy this game because I play it alone as well. And I don't have a lot of board game friends, so that's pretty awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two threads that discuss the expansions. The first was already mentioned above, but the second is more recent. I figured I'd put both links together for ease of use:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1813208/unofficial-buyers-g...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1949246/post-champions-set-...

If you're going to play solo, try out the solo rules in the base set first, but most of us seem to agree they're a little lacking. Then try the advanced solo rules from Dark City, which are a clear improvement. Even if you don't buy Dark City, you can download the rules for free from Upper Deck's web site:
http://www.upperdeck.com/op/GameRules.aspx

But a lot of us still find those rules a little lacking.

Similar to some strategy games like chess or others, Legendary actually has a pretty clearly defined opening, middle game, and endgame phase. The opening consists of building your deck, before you can fight any but the weakest villains. The middle game is when your deck is starting to come together, and you can fight villains to get the city under control, but you usually can't hit the mastermind very much yet. The endgame is once you have a strong deck built, and you just need to finish off the mastermind before the game ends.

With the official solo and advanced solo rules, you still have that first phase of building your deck early, and the final phase of fighting the mastermind. But the combination of less heroes in the hero deck (which makes building an effective deck quicker and easier, since the cards available to recruit are guaranteed to combo with each other) and less villains in the villain deck (which makes it easier to keep the city under control) pretty much skips the middle game phase. It's a shorter game, which some of us find less satisfying (though not necessarily easier).

This is why Sky Zero, a user here on BGG, invented the "Golden Solo" rules, which does a better job of simulating the playing style of playing Legendary with multiple people, but designed for a single player. Here's the thread that goes into the details on that:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1200976/golden-solo-ruleset...

Or you could just try playing a two player game by yourself, which I know some people here on BGG prefer. I actually tried that a few times, but I didn't like having to keep track of which cards I'd recruited for which of my two decks. Also, the multi-player game tends to be easier with less people, so doing a two player game that way is the easiest possible option, and it ends up being too easy, IMHO.

I mostly stick to Golden Solo, but I play Advanced Solo occasionally for the online League play. I also play regularly with friends and family, so lots of 3-4 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Legendary. Once you get it you might want to check out this thread which is a good resource with lots of useful links for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Welcome to Legendary. Once you get it you might want to check out this thread which is a good resource with lots of useful links for new players.

QFT. Great link right there.

Welcome to the Legendary forums, the friendliest place on the Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
jhochges wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badnatey wrote:
I'm heading out shortly and will let everyone know the damage when I return.

Thank you for ALL the help. I can tell I'll enjoy this community regardless. Can't believe I haven't been here before, although the only game I really play is Munchkin! lol

I think I'll enjoy this game because I play it alone as well. And I don't have a lot of board game friends, so that's pretty awesome.

Hope the purchase goes well. Picking just one expansion is very difficult... there isn't one that doesn't have something to love. Having said that, as a Marvel Comics reader as well as a Legendary player, I personally would pick up Fantastic Four first. Only because the Core set + FF gives what to me is probably the most fundamental Marvel experience. After that, it's all up to you!

Welcome to the community!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey everyone, thanks again for the help. I spent quite the chunk of change (over $200) and I picked up;

1. Base Game
2. Fantastic Four
3. Dark City
4. X-Men

The selection wasn't full and there was only 1 copy of the base game in 5 different stores. Crazy.. I skipped on Spiderman, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, Champions, Noir and the Secret Wars Vol 1 & 2. I wanted Pain the Town Red, but I couldn't find it. I'll have to order it.

I also played my first game with my friend and my sister. It seemed really easy though. So I'm guessing there's some things we did wrong. The villain cards didn't seem all that powerful. We used the X-Men bystanders, but even thought we saved 6 - it was all end-game, so they didn't help us all that much. We used Hawkeye, Punisher, Gambit, Dazzler, and Iron Fist. They didn't seem to mesh that well, haha. But the game never felt in question. It felt more like.. we'd win as soon as we had the cards. So I'm guessing we did some stuff wrong.

We fought Red Scull. Our scheme was pretty forgiving too, so it must have been an original scheme. Looking forward to continuing to learn the game and hopefully figure out the ins and outs. That way we can be sure the game is harder because I know it's a harder game then it felt like.

PS. I like the art from the later sets better where each hero power card is different. Very cool! Although a lot harder to sort, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Skull is the easiest Mastermind in the game, by far. And some schemes are easier than others, so depending on which one you were using, I'm not at all surprised that it was an easy game.

And some villains are tougher than others, too. I've found the Spider-Foes from the base set to be the easiest, though his enemies in Paint The Town Red are much tougher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
flag msg tools
Race Bannon wrote:
And be aware, we make custom dividers and share them on here, organizing the cards and sorting them in different ways. There's a hard-to-describe fun factor in messing with these cards that's almost like collecting comics.

Do you have a picture of your boxes organized that I could look at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badnatey wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:

Do you have a picture of your boxes organized that I could look at?

Yes, I have posted one here somewhere. Will try to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
flag msg tools
Fromper wrote:
Red Skull is the easiest Mastermind in the game, by far. And some schemes are easier than others, so depending on which one you were using, I'm not at all surprised that it was an easy game.

And some villains are tougher than others, too. I've found the Spider-Foes from the base set to be the easiest, though his enemies in Paint The Town Red are much tougher.

Makes sense. Seemed very easy. I'm sure I could pick a harder scheme as well. Our scheme, I think, only ko'd heroes on twist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.