Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Whiskey rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duncan McKay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Last game, I would have lost 3 Sanity, and I played the Whiskey to reduce that to 1 Sanity loss. Is this a correct interpretation of the card? I now think I may have been mistaken. The text reads:

"You may discard this card to prevent an investigator on your space from losing up to 2 Sanity".

... which now I suspect may mean that it specifically only applies if you would lose 1 or 2 Sanity. If you would lose 3, the card has no effect.

Also, if it reduces Sanity from any amount of loss, I think it may have been worded e.g. like the Enchanting Grace spell:

"...when you would lose Health, prevent 2 of that Health loss".

What do you think? Did I play it wrong and the Whiskey cannot reduce 3+ Sanity loss?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Boris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you played it correctly. If it was only one loss of Sanity, then it would have worked also.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Burgess
United States
Cedar Hills
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
monstermunch wrote:
Last game, I would have lost 3 Sanity, and I played the Whiskey to reduce that to 1 Sanity loss. Is this a correct interpretation of the card? I now think I may have been mistaken. The text reads:

"You may discard this card to prevent an investigator on your space from losing up to 2 Sanity".

... which now I suspect may mean that it specifically only applies if you would lose 1 or 2 Sanity. If you would lose 3, the card has no effect.

Also, if it reduces Sanity from any amount of loss, I think it may have been worded e.g. like the Enchanting Grace spell:

"...when you would lose Health, prevent 2 of that Health loss".

What do you think? Did I play it wrong and the Whiskey cannot reduce 3+ Sanity loss?

Thanks!


It sounds like to me you can use Whiskey to prevent up to 2 loss regardless of the amount. Meaning, you could only prevent 1 loss if you chose. Whereas the Enchanting Grace spell would only allow you to prevent 2 of the Health loss. I think you played it correctly.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monstermunch wrote:
"You may discard this card to prevent an investigator on your space from losing up to 2 Sanity".

... which now I suspect may mean that it specifically only applies if you would lose 1 or 2 Sanity. If you would lose 3, the card has no effect.


Sidebar: this wording allows you, if you really want to for some strategic reason, to prevent only 1 of 3 points, rather than forcing you to prevent 2 of those 3. i can't think of a concrete case where that would be interesting to do, but it's hypothetically possible.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan McKay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks guys! I thought I was right at the time, but just had some later doubt, especially when I checked the wording on Enchanting Grace which seemed more clearly worded. Maybe I've just taken one Paranoia Condition too many! I'll chalk that up as a legit win then.

sgbeal wrote:
Sidebar: this wording allows you, if you really want to for some strategic reason, to prevent only 1 of 3 points, rather than forcing you to prevent 2 of those 3. i can't think of a concrete case where that would be interesting to do, but it's hypothetically possible.


Very good point! There is an artifact where you only gain the effect when your Health and Sanity are equal, so that would be one case. Nice spot!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les S
msg tools
mbmbmb


Well spotted, I’ll keep my eye out for this one
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hieronymus Ludo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb

I believe Enchanting Grace is from a later expansion, if I am not mistaken, and they have probably tweaked the wording a bit, compared to the Whiskey card wording, which was in the base game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Mantuano
United States
Hamilton Square
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amosboris wrote:
I believe you played it correctly. If it was only one loss of Sanity, then it would have worked also.


Whisky works on any investigator at the location, the spell is just the caster.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.