Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now this next game came to my shelf because of Board Game Arena. Lost Cities is one of the few games that I learned how to play, and played first on an app/website. I usually need to see, and play, a game in person to assess what is going on in the app, and to make me feel like I am actually playing a board game instead of an app. Even then, I buy the apps and never play them even if I have played the boardgame first... But that’s another story. There is just something about playing a board game in person that cannot be replaced with technology.

That said, Lost Cities is so fast and simple that I had a blast on BGA and went ahead and dropped the 20 bucks to get it. I really thought the wife would like this game because of its length and simple play… And guess what? I was right! 20 out 120 purchases that I bought thinking the wife would really like it, isn’t bad is it? I think I’m finally starting to learn what she likes though. LOL. It took a few plays to really grow on her, but she does enjoy the game now. It’s not her favorite but it is definitely a go to game for her. There are two answers that I get when I ask my wife what game she wants to play. “Nothing” and “Lost Cities”. Why are both of those answers funny to me? Because she knows the first will aggravate me, and she is kind of being sarcastically dead serious. The second is when she knows I always want to play a game that lasts about an hour, but she knows this one last 7-10 minutes. Funny stuff, because she is once again being sarcastically dead serious. But, that said, we don’t play it very often because I am always trying to play one of my meatier games. Lost Cities does make it off the shelf every few months though, and we will play a three game series. I never want to play this one because of its lack of theme, but by the time I start playing it I always have a blast.

Lost Cities is a suspenseful game. You have to play a card either on one of your expeditions or in the middle where anyone can pick it up on their turn. Then you have to draw a card either from the deck or from the middle as I just explained. The deck is the timer. When you start an expedition you start at a negative twenty, and when you add the multipliers they multiple either your negative or positive score. You have to put the cards down in numerical order from 2-10. If you put down a 4, you can never place a 2 or 3 again. It’s way simpler than what I am making it sound I’m sure. So the whole game is you trying to hold cards until you get the cards you need while not giving your opponent big money cards they need. Other challenges are you figuring out when to start expeditions and what cards to put in the middle because you are waiting to get something from the deck before placing it in the expedition, but you don’t want to give up any of your cards. “Double Rainbow all the way across the sky… It’s so Intense”. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, YouTube it. Watch the video first, then watch the autotuned song. Made me laugh for days. I need to go back and revisit that one actually…. Ooops, way off topic there.

The intensity you feel as you are making that decision is so awesome, but you always know if you screw it up you can just play another game because it is 7 minutes long. I honestly think this game is so fun, I just don’t ever want to play it until I play it. Mainly because I know my wife will count it as a game we played and screw me out of playing another game. She doesn’t count our daily play quota off of game length but off of game plays. It’s her accounting method to war against me playing a nice combination of short and long games to get the maximum amount of play in with her in a day. We really are petty, LOL. It’s like a big game that me and my wife play on the regular before we actually get to the table to play a game. I would say I win for the most part, because she plays a lot of games with me. But she finds ways to poop on my dreams on the regular. Sometimes I think we are just as bad as my son and daughter as they play well for a while and then they get petty and start trying to outwit each other. Surely they have learned some of it from us, but it’s just natural when you around someone all the time I guess. Just a side analysis as I sit here and ponder. “Oops, I did it again”… Got off track, and I admitted “I’m not that innocent”.

Anyways, great little game that gives me a rush like no other boardgame, and it does it in a short period of time. Not that the rush, anxiousness, I get from this one equals it being my favorite game. It is just a unique feeling that this game provides that you feel for that short period of time that feels good, and is memorable. I have no complaints, and don’t see how they could put a theme on this one that would make it any better. Its fine the way it is…

So that is why Lost Cities is on my shelf. Does anyone else have a similar feeling when they play Lost Cities?

Check out my Geeklist for other games on my shelf. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Battle Line, it's even more tense. =)

Both are great games though...I'd also recommend Arboretum, it's basically an advanced 2-4p LC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line is good but not near as tense as Lost Cities (at least the original version).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Battle Line is good but not near as tense as Lost Cities (at least the original version).

I've played both a TON, and Battle is FAR more tense as it's the type of game where you don't want to play any cards on your turn and you are in direct competition over each of the 9 flags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll just have to agree to disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.