Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: What's your average solo win percentage with Base game and Lost Legions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob D
msg tools
mbmb
I used to be around 80% with the base game, and now I'm just over 50% with the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is about 15% regardless of base or expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignoring the period when I was still learning to play, 100% (I don't remember a loss, played a lot of games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Neff
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
30% but improving

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Ignoring the period when I was still learning to play, 100% (I don't remember a loss, played a lot of games).

Are you sure you're getting all the rules straight???

I kid, I kid... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AsGSnak wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

Are you sure you're getting all the rules straight???

I kid, I kid... laugh

Well, sounds fishy for me, too, but pointless to argue about it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am probably around 80% with the base game. I don't own any expansions, so will have to wait until the Ultimate Edition is released to see how that changes my rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:

Same here. Lost my first solo conquest. Have won every subsequent one (played more than 70 times). However, I might have had a few wins due to rules mistakes and I never went beyond cities at 5/8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:

This has been my experience as well. It is a puzzle that generally seems to have an answer to it. Though I haven't spent the time to figure out the correct difficulty level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play with standard difficulty 100% is very possible. I usually play with increased city levels and would guess that I have over 80% (perhaps >90%) winchance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadae
msg tools
100% for normal difficulty, though I recently switched to a harder variant (+1 enemy attack and armor, +1 recruit cost, +1 move cost of all spaces) and am now at a more comfortable 30-50% for the standard city levels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
cityofsolitude wrote:

Mage Knight rewards careful play and experience. Here a few examples of very high-scoring solo games (using increased city levels), including some general tips in the last one:

Jeff Hannes (xanalor) - Goldyx Solo 282, Thorough Play-by-Play
Richard Thomas (Membury) - Goldyx Solo Conquest, 291 points
Jeff Hannes (xanalor) - Tovak 296 Solo Conquest, with general solo strategy tips
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
cityofsolitude wrote:

Mage Knight rewards careful play and experience. Here a few examples of very high-scoring solo games (using increased city levels), including some general tips in the last one:

Jeff Hannes (xanalor) - Tovak 296 Solo Conquest, with general solo strategy tips

Just saying that I would trust no one playing by himself to actually know how well he does with regard to the rules. Since, you know, no one checks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cityofsolitude wrote:
tumorous wrote:
cityofsolitude wrote:

Just saying that I would trust no one playing by himself to actually know how well he does with regard to the rules. Since, you know, no one checks

The rules aren't that hard, but I understand the reason to be skeptical. When playing a coop or solo game, I'm going to rule against myself if I can't find a ruling on things.

Do you have key places with Mage Knight where you assume people are playing wrong?

I find that the rules are generally straightforward, though there are a lot of them.

The most common type of mistake I would expect is drawing too many cards (forgetting they aren't next to the appropriate buildings, or something like that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cityofsolitude wrote:
tumorous wrote:
cityofsolitude wrote:

Reading through other session reports, posting thorough session reports (which was required to claim official top spots on [Closed] Ye Olde Mage Knight Solo Conquest Scoreboarde!), reading and answering rules questions... there are a lot of ways for a solo player to figure out whether they are playing correctly.

Unless you think people are intentionally cheating at solo play, in which case, this thread is pretty pointless for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
cityofsolitude wrote:
tumorous wrote:
cityofsolitude wrote:

Reading through other session reports, posting thorough session reports (which was required to claim official top spots on [Closed] Ye Olde Mage Knight Solo Conquest Scoreboarde!), reading and answering rules questions... there are a lot of ways for a solo player to figure out whether they are playing correctly.

Unless you think people are intentionally cheating at solo play, in which case, this thread is pretty pointless for you.

No malicious intent, just oversight. Not knowing that you forgot something. Juggling so many options around in a large battle that you end up with an invalid combination of skills or use more mana than you have or think you powered that card but actually decided to power something else. The possibilities are endless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cityofsolitude wrote:
No malicious intent, just oversight. Not knowing that you forgot something. Juggling so many options around in a large battle that you end up with an invalid combination of skills or use more mana than you have or think you powered that card but actually decided to power something else. The possibilities are endless.

I do use dice and markers for tracking a particularly complex fight. But the game really isn't that complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
cityofsolitude wrote:

I do use dice and markers for tracking a particularly complex fight. But the game really isn't that complicated.

I place mana crystals or dice on my cards so that I can easily track everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
cityofsolitude wrote:

I appreciate your confidence in your abilities, but we just will not know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cityofsolitude wrote:
I appreciate your confidence in your abilities, but we just will not know

OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
cityofsolitude wrote:
tumorous wrote:
cityofsolitude wrote:

You seem to be operating under the assumption that people who have played solo only played solo?

I have played numerous games with playtesters to refine the Vassal module, nearly all of the playtesters being equally skilled/obsessed people who also knew the rules perfectly.

I have also played many games face-to-face, reasonably often with people who also knew the rules.

I had really detailed, very precise feedback from a couple of sticklers for perfection when implementing the more fiddly bits of the module (like - I really don't care if the monastery offer goes under the AA deck at the same time as the AA offer, but a strict reading of the rules says the monastery offer goes under first, so that is how the module works).

I haunted the rules forums for years, keeping up with every rule debate. These days I play the game so rarely that some of the expansions rules are hazy, but I still have my MK subscription going so I do at least skim every rule question that comes up.

I can definitely guarantee that my 100 % win-rate for 5/8 solo conquest is correct, and even today I know I could set up and play a base-game+LL solo conquest without making a single mistake.

But really, that's just me. I have no reason to doubt the other half-dozen or so people who also posted a 100 % win-rate in this thread, and I'm honestly a little mystified why you are so insistent that such reporting is "fishy" or not worthy of trust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
... But the game really isn't that complicated.

Also this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben, I am sorry, I am coming off far more negative than intended

Benkyo wrote:
I can definitely guarantee that my 100 % win-rate for 5/8 solo conquest is correct

It would have helped if you put that restriction in your original response. I was thinking base + LL and I probably also did not fully exclude the proposed LL difficulty levels from the rulebook.

I absolutely believe that you could chain wins in solo playing full conquest with the default 5/8 setting. Why anyone would play that more than a couple of times with each hero is beyond me, but different people certainly get their pleasure from different sources

Benkyo wrote:
and even today I know I could set up and play a base-game+LL solo conquest without making a single mistake.

If anyone could, it would certainly be you! I fully believe that many people, especially those being regular on the forum, can get any rule right without looking it up. And if they would be unsure in the slightest, they would know where to look it up or would just ask here. In that sense I fully agree that "it is not that complicated" (especially when sticking to 5/8 full conquest).

That being said, my background (outside of MK) has thought me that people are going to make mistakes, even (and maybe especially) with the most trivial things. Not because they are dump, negligent or because they do not know any better, but because they are occupied with more interesting problems. To pretend that no mistakes are made is a sure recipe for disaster.

I could go into much more detail, but to what end. I am aware that the whole point is very nitpicky, since it is a board game after all. What does it matter if someone makes a tiny error in a solo game he is enjoying? For me personally it makes or breaks the fun I have with the game, since there is no reason for me to engage with the game solo, if I am not beating it 100% fair and square. It bothers me that much that I would love to have the time to implement it If it ever comes to that, you are all invited to show off your win streaks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that playing 5/8 solo conquest endlessly isn't much fun, but I did it rather more than I would have liked when testing the module and recording tutorials, and in any case found that 5/8 with other restrictions (I believe Syzygia mentioned 4 rounds) is more fun than ramping up the city levels. Still, a couple of times with each hero is still ~14 games, and if you don't lose any that's 100%.

Although the original post didn't mention LL scenarios (I assumed it referred to solo conquest with/without LL content), I found Volkare Returns to be similar - after a short learning period, it's quite possible that I never lost at the lowest or mid difficulties and I might not have even played solo enough to record a loss on the highest either (so, possibly 100% for Volkare Returns so far, with a very low confidence, but I wouldn't bank on a future 100% win-rate at Legendary difficulty).

One point I think is interesting is that you seem to consider a single trivial error would invalidate a win, making it a loss? I'd say that knife-edge wins are unusual, and unless an error were made sufficiently early on for everything to snowball, the outcome without error would most likely be the same - a comfortable win.

Related to that, and probably getting to the core of our disagreement, I'm the lead translator in a translation team and part of my job is checking everyone's output, so I'm well aware that errors happen, even when a lot of money is on the line, but I wouldn't equate a (relatively) simple and engaging pastime like Mage Knight to work output. So much easier to maintain focus and interest in a solvable puzzle in a short time-frame, unless you tried to play when tired or stressed (why would anyone do that?).

EDIT: Actually, I know why - all my solo MK was over 3 years ago before I became a parent. Now I can totally imagine how someone might end up playing solo MK while tired and/or stressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Ideas are bulletproof
badge
I think, therefore I am, I think
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard difficulty solo conquest I think 100%. Playing the Volkare / Life and Death scenarios there are a few losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.