James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
During a scenario we ran into a situation. A summon was on the board and there was no enemies revealed. How should the summon move?

A) It shouldn’t since there is nothing to focus on
B) It should focus on the caster and move toward him/her.
C) It should focus on the nearest unopened door on the assumption that is where the wild things are.
D) Players decide how it moves.

We played it as A.

I am toying with playing as B.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
A

(apparently there are unlockable classes that make changing this a bad idea)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
character summons move toward monsters in exactly the same way that monsters move toward characters.

If a monster is in a closed room with no characters, then it doesn't move at all.
Same goes for a character summon in a closed room with no monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kanehen
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Officially A. But I've heard that B is a generally ok houserule, and not totally game-breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Matthews
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I've found that house-ruling summons is unnecessary. I think players should always try to understand the rules and play within them, since it's around those rules that the game is balanced.

I think what people want with a house rule for summons is not to have to think about it. They want to just play them and reap the benefits. The truth is that you have to be judicious about it, by adhering to a few guidelines:

1. Play ranged summons over melee whenever possible. This will help with a lot of their movement issues, as well as extend their lifespan.

2. Don't play any summons, especially melee summons, in the first room if you want them to be effective until the end of the scenario (unless you have a reliable way to make them move, that is). They don't have the requisite movement to make it through to the end, and you'll often find that they're walking along a vast hallway for several turns without doing anything.

If you want spoilers for one of the classes (can't say which, because that would be a spoiler in this context), go ahead and read below:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I played the summoner past level 9, and I didn't house rule a single thing. It's not necessary if you play the right summons at the right time.

In the first rooms of several scenarios, I just played with my own attack cards until I got further in, and summoned about 40 percent through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Gardner
United States
Cleves
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 seems to be the magic number for a summon’s movement that will allow it to be placed in the first room and generally keep up throughout the scenario. If you want a full-scenario effective summon, look for that or enhance that stat when possible. Or purposely place them near the entrance to next room so they can watch to for two rooms.

Not withstanding that, summons can be situational - either use them in the room where they’ll be most effective or stack your deck with them only on scenarios that are essentially one large room. There are quite a few scenarios like that and summons can be particularly effective there as they always have a focus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Discussing summon rules is always frustrating because the locked summon-focused classes have cards that specifically get around the downsides of summons, but you can't bring up any of that without spoilers.

You could house rule a "Necklace of Ethereal Attraction" item in the shop that causes your summoned allies to move towards you, but changing the rule globally is not necessary and would make some summons actually worse.

Think of, hypothetically, a long-range artillery summon, that you would rather not be close to the door where it can get killed by archers. Or a summon with a non-combat ability, that you would rather stay put than follow you around while you pick up gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.