Doug Gries
United States
Libertyville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does an infantry unit in an entrenchment use terrain and range modifiers for “unarmored” or “armored”?

GTS V2.0b rules, section 22.3.6 state “When fired at, a Unit in an entrenchment uses the Armored Target part of the Combat Results Table”. When I’ve looked at this before, I’ve made the assumption you use unarmored modifiers for an infantry unit, as the target unit itself is unarmored, but check results on the armored part of the CRT to take into account the added ENT protection.

Here's an example:

Defending Unit:
Infantry unit (0 defense rating)
Town Hex
In an Entrenchment (ENT)

Attacking Unit:
Armored vehicle unit (7 firepower, max 4 range)
4 hexes away from Defending Unit
Assume company bonus roll failed

If the defending unit is considered unarmored for terrain and range purposes, the shot would be a 0 shot (7 base firepower, -2 for town, -2 for ENT, -3 for range)

If the defending unit is considered armored for terrain and range purposes, the shot would be a 2 shot (7 base firepower, -1 for town, -2 for ENT, -2 for range)

My assumption also made sense to me, because it would be ridiculous for an Infantry unit to go from a -2 to a -1 modifier for the town and for an attacking armored vehicle unit to actually get a range bonus, for an Infantry unit being in an ENT.

This same discrepancy could also be applied to infantry units in a village or hedgerow as well.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me throw this thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
No - it’s an armored target, not a hybrid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's the CSW posting on that; trust you can follow the discussion links for further information.

when firing at target in an entrenchment use the armor side of combat table... does this also apply to fire modifiers for range and terrain?

No, use the range modifiers appropriate for the unit type. The only change is that the armored/entrenched CRT is used to determine results.

Detals here: Rob Davidson, "Devil's Cauldron and Where Eagles Dare (MMP)" #18988, 28 Feb 2015 3:51 pm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Gries
United States
Libertyville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rob, thanks for confirming my assumption!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.