Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Mummy's Mask – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 Newbie Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Campion
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Played the game a couple times and love it, so I bought everything for it.

I have 2 questions that pertain to any of the 4 adventure paths...

1: Blessings Deck - it is 30 cards regardless of the number of players, and more players means more locations to explore and close. Does this cause the deck to run out more during games with more players? If it is problematic, are there any good house rules out there.

2: Class Decks - are any of the class deck expansions designed for specific paths? I ask, because if you take the Naga (who's primary ability is to make her attacks have the poison trait), you are going to have a very hard time in Wrath Of The Righteous - so they don't seem to all work well with every path.

Thanks,
Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erc1971 wrote:

1: Blessings Deck - it is 30 cards regardless of the number of players, and more players means more locations to explore and close. Does this cause the deck to run out more during games with more players? If it is problematic, are there any good house rules out there.
It's different for sure. Problematic, not really, but you need to be aware of the different playing styles required with different numbers of players. There is a simulation in the Rise of the Runelords forums that basically says that as long as you make all the checks you need on average 13+4*<number of players> explores to end the game. Which in turn means that with 1-4 players you will find all baddies without using extra explores from allies and/or blessings. With 5 or 6 players on the other hand you must use some of the cards from your hand to explore or you won't have time to finish before the clock runs out. Check out this thread: Game length and character exploration ability
erc1971 wrote:
2: Class Decks - are any of the class deck expansions designed for specific paths? I ask, because if you take the Naga (who's primary ability is to make her attacks have the poison trait), you are going to have a very hard time in Wrath Of The Righteous - so they don't seem to all work well with every path.
Now, I haven't played all games or seen all class decks, but I think you can easily assume that they will work if there is a main character in the base game with the same class as the class deck you want to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 that the blessing deck is *always* 30 blessings (unless you are specifically told otherwise, which is rare).

There is no need at all to nerf the blessing deck when you play with six players, just like you don't need to house-rule an extra healing mechanic when you play with just one character.

The game is designed to require different tactics at different character counts. For example, when you play with two characters, there's typically 50 cards for 30 turns, and most likely you won't have to see all of them to win, so time is less of a problem. OTOH, each character has 15 turns, so you had better watch your health really closely. Dying is a very real probability.

In contrast, with six characters there are typically 80 locations. Exploring 2 (or, ideally, 3) times each turn is a priority. Very often you'll spend blessings to explore, which you won't often do when playing with just two characters. OTOH, each character only has six turns. Health is much more rarely a problem. Also, with six characters to provide assistance, the villain fight is often an afterthought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each set has 11 characters (or, rarely, one more) designed specifically for the set. These characters will always be the most natural fit for the set.

The Class/Character deck characters (of which there are a staggering number -- nearing 90, I think) are not designed for a particular set, so it is up to you to evaluate how well they fit into the set. Most characters are playable in any set -- they just won't have the benefit of having powers specifically attuned to the set (for example: the Swashbuckler in Skull & Shackles can reduce structural damage to the party's ship, but no Class/Character deck character can).

The Poison-based characters (Wu Shen, Olenjack, Celeste, etc) are more restricted than most other characters. I wouldn't play a poison-based character in Wrath or Mummy's Mask. Also I wouldn't play a character that relied primarily on a Mental attack in Mummy's Mask (due to the prevalence of Undead).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Campion
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers, It will help :P

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.