Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to own the 4th edition Settlers of Catan. I remember struggling with the sea frame buckling and not wanting to remain flat and locked into place. I just picked up 5th edition and did not notice this problem. Did 5th edition get thicker cardboard or a redesign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vedrana B
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is just luck. I have fifth edition and the frame won't stay flat and it feels a bit too big for terrain hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Overson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I think the 5th edition is a bit thicker than the 4th, but not sure if they're thick enough to keep from warping. I also had issues with my 4th edition hexes warping. I had picked up some replacements several years back, but had also weighed down my stacks of hexes and borders with weights. Eventually they were able to flatten after some time. Since then, I keep my Catan pieces between two pieces of 3/8" plexiglass and a flat hair binder to keep them compressed while in the box.

I think the warping is due to humid environments. Unless I'm using an expansion, I use my 3D board for play. Plus, everyone would rather play on my 3D board then play Catan with an expansion anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bee
msg tools
Ryan,

what is the 3D board? I wanted to play Catan and it turns out that I have the 2nd edition of the game. I like the idea of the newer edition w/the frames, but was concerned about warping as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Overson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
See my other post, My 3D Catan - Z scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Felder
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Link -

My 3D Catan board - Z scale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.