Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: (WIP) Colonization rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Hutto
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
Hello

I am new to this forum but have been lurking. I wish to bounce this idea off some of the folks here and let me know what you think.

Over the past many months, and easily a 1000 hours later, I have been developing a board game that was inspired by the old Sid Mier PC game Colonization. As that game was a game I truly did love playing. Now obviously this isn't going to be an exact clone of that game, though the very first version of the board game was, but it was far too clunky to and required to much management to play.

If you have played that computer game you know the premise.

If you have not, the premise is to Colonize the new world and play as one of four countries. Build your colonies, build up your money and armies, collect founding father cards, and eventually declare your independence and fight the king. The king can either be played by someone else or act as an NPC. You can also of course interact with other players whether that is treaties or going to war or what not.

Along the way you will have to deal with the indians and can even try and raid them for treasure. The King will also interact with you via King Cards that are drawn randomly based on a dice roll.

Each Country has a unique ability or two, the French for example to represent their historical accuracy can choose instead of attacking the indians to use those areas for colonies and gain more money instead.

I tried to keep everything as historically accurate as possible within the world of the game rules. For example Alexander Hamilton who is famous for artillery brigades in the war of independence gives the player a +1 in power to their artillery units.

There are 30 founding father cards, and you can get up to 10 of them a game, so you will never have the same set twice.

All the while your king will be building his army, his Royal Expeditionary force in preparation to fight against you in your war of independence. This is controlled via dice roll.

The map is a hand drawn map of the americas that is proportionally drawn. So in this map Mexico can be settled on because it proportionally fits within the whole game world. The map's first draft is finished. Whenever I finish play testing, A final version of the map will be done with the necessary tweaks. In another lifetime my stay at home mother was a brilliant artist.

the rules are I am hoping about 90% finished(though is playable in it's current state without any real issues from what I can tell....I just need it to be worded and organized better and to be made a lot less clunky and cumbersome to look through), some tweaks maybe needed. A player sheet still needs to be made so players can track their colonies and a couple of other things.

Hearing all of this...How much does it interest people here? to my knowledge such a game does not exist, but I could be wrong.

4 
 Thumb up
30.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammyo Roychowdhury
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/77130/sid-meiers-civiliz...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GoldfishPandaGames wrote:


I don't think this is the same thing.

That game sounds amazing, can't wait for the rule book!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hutto
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
GoldfishPandaGames wrote:


I don't think this is the same thing.

That game sounds amazing, can't wait for the rule book!


thanks

and you are correct that is not the same thing, he created two games around the same time. Colonization and civilization. civilization became more popular and spawned countless sequels, one of which was Civilization IV: Colonization. so it did finally get a sequel 15 some odd years later.

I may have overlooked it but is there a good guide on formatting the rule books? I think that is half my problem honestly, not the actual rules so much as formatting it and making easier on the eyes to read. currently it is a word document.



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonization wrote:
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
GoldfishPandaGames wrote:


I don't think this is the same thing.

That game sounds amazing, can't wait for the rule book!


thanks

and you are correct that is not the same thing, he created two games around the same time. Colonization and civilization. civilization became more popular and spawned countless sequels, one of which was Civilization IV: Colonization. so it did finally get a sequel 15 some odd years later.

I may have overlooked it but is there a good guide on formatting the rule books? I think that is half my problem honestly, not the actual rules so much as formatting it and making easier on the eyes to read. currently it is a word document.





That is how I do mine generally, the best thing I can think of (not an expert) is to just lay it out in a way that starts easy and builds on the game's concepts.

Plus, if you post it (even professional companies do this) people can make suggestions on how to fix it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very excited to hear about this game. I used to love Colonization and played it almost as much as I played the original Civilization. Good luck to you!

ps - here's some geekgold to buy yourself an avatar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at New World or its predecessor Conquistador,
both about the America's in the 16th Century, and both OOP.

There are others, Conquest of Paradise, I think.

But it is still an interesting subject.

Why America, why not Africa?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kreutzer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also interesting would be a game from the perspective of the objectified colonization targets, about resistance to outside conquest and colonialism.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonization wrote:
I may have overlooked it but is there a good guide on formatting the rule books? I think that is half my problem honestly, not the actual rules so much as formatting it and making easier on the eyes to read. currently it is a word document.

If it is not complete yet, then don't waste time on fancy formating (that's also a skill/activity of its own).

Keep formatting really simple; I'd use a Google Doc as (a) it encourages focus on a content with minimal layout and (b) its easy to share and let people comment on (browse the game design forums and you will often see designers asking for feedback on rules - that really does help!).

Otherwise - the usual: write in short sentence and paragraphs. Use lists where it make sense. Define any terms peculiar to your game. Follow the general approach of modern games' rule-sets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hutto
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
gamesbook wrote:
Colonization wrote:
I may have overlooked it but is there a good guide on formatting the rule books? I think that is half my problem honestly, not the actual rules so much as formatting it and making easier on the eyes to read. currently it is a word document.

If it is not complete yet, then don't waste time on fancy formating (that's also a skill/activity of its own).

Keep formatting really simple; I'd use a Google Doc as (a) it encourages focus on a content with minimal layout and (b) its easy to share and let people comment on (browse the game design forums and you will often see designers asking for feedback on rules - that really does help!).

Otherwise - the usual: write in short sentence and paragraphs. Use lists where it make sense. Define any terms peculiar to your game. Follow the general approach of modern games' rule-sets.


fair point really. though I think my rules are pretty close to done(I hope anyway....they seem about done)

anijunk wrote:
Take a look at New World or its predecessor Conquistador,
both about the America's in the 16th Century, and both OOP.

There are others, Conquest of Paradise, I think.

But it is still an interesting subject.

Why America, why not Africa?


thanks for those links, though those have elements of what I am talking about they do not quite fit the bill.

As for why America? Quite frankly because of 3 reasons primarily:

1. The central theme in the game is building up to the war of independence. America has arguably one of the most famous if not most famous wars of independence. Since I am American, I choose to model it after that.

2. Maybe it was countless hours playing the original colonization on the PC, but I have always quite enjoyed that era of history. And yes, bringing one of my favorite games of all time back to life in the form of a board game gives me joy.

3. As someone who genuinely loves and appreciates what the founding fathers of america created with the US constitution, I want to attempt to capture that fight for liberty under an oppressive king.

rocksnrolls wrote:
I am very excited to hear about this game. I used to love Colonization and played it almost as much as I played the original Civilization. Good luck to you!

ps - here's some geekgold to buy yourself an avatar


thanks man. I will do that as soon as I figure that out. I'm sure it is simple enough, just haven't looked through the settings yet.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hutto
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
Since some of you may have subscribed to this thread.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28798091#28798091

I posted there with a link to the rules if you wish to take a look.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardyfreak
United Kingdom
Alnwick
Northumberland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used to play Colonization on the Amiga many moons ago. The Civ IV version just didn’t quite capture the essence of the original for me though. Your game sounds interesting, I’ll be following with interest!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hutto
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
cardyfreak wrote:
I used to play Colonization on the Amiga many moons ago. The Civ IV version just didn’t quite capture the essence of the original for me though. Your game sounds interesting, I’ll be following with interest!


thanks

and FYI there was a fantastic mod to the Civ 4 version that made the game play very close to the original.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally would be a lot more interested if the American Indians were a playable side, instead of just a thing to be conquered (as is the case in Civilization).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hutto
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
murjani1 wrote:
I personally would be a lot more interested if the American Indians were a playable side, instead of just a thing to be conquered (as is the case in Civilization).


maybe once I can get a full game produced, they can be DLC. but right now they simply don't fit within the scope of the actual game and it's point.

but don't be too alarmed, the indians can wreck your world in this game, they are not push overs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hutto
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
Colonization wrote:
Since some of you may have subscribed to this thread.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28798091#28798091

I posted there with a link to the rules if you wish to take a look.


I updated this thread with pictures now too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.