Subject: Advanced Skills guide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jed Shields
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mb
Hello all, has anyone created a guide / review for the advanced skills? I'm looking for a list of the best ones to focus on getting. Also, is it better to go for lots of low cost ones, save for the high cost ones or a mixture of both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever spent XP? You only get to choose from a few random Advanced Skills at a time, so I don't think a guide would be much use at all. It depends too much on which skills you draw, which characters you're playing, which curse you're playing, how much XP you have, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Shields
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mb
Yep, I've spent loads. The guide would help me to know if the 4 I have randomly drawn are worth considering, or if I should try my luck and wait for the next time and hope for a better draw. Rather than waste my XP on a useless batch and then not be able to afford the "must have" card the next time. Currently, I've no real idea of what is good or bad as it's my first play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm on my first play though also. I'm spending all my XP when I get the chance. That's just me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Shields
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mb
Me too I can see the advantage of buying lots of lesser cards as it adds to the size of the action deck and therefore life, but maybe a couple of more expensive ones may be a better strategy overall. If only there was a guide somewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Béret
France
flag msg tools
If you already spent a lot of XP, you could do this guide yourself. But as said above, there's a lot to consider (curse, characters, where you are, what you draw...). So very difficult to make general recommendations.

As for myself I would say spend all you can with what you draw, it is surely beneficial to increase action deck size. Choose the one(s) that seems most usefull given the actual state of the game. Saving for later for an hypotheticly better competency that you most probably will never draw seems useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorrig von Knorrig
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why don't you write one yourself?
I'd prefer more cards over strong ones, too, since more cards is always good and you don't want to push your luck to find that one super card in a deck of curses and half-star cards. Other than that I just choose the best one from the ones on offer. "Best" referring to the current situation, characters involved, items equipped etc. I haven't even looked at all the skills since I feel this is part of the exploration of the continent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Béret
France
flag msg tools
Looks like we had a telepathic connection, writing the same thing at the same moment !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Shields
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mb
I've barely got to grips with the basics, let alone be able to judge the merits of the more advanced cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Experience is the best teacher, and the core of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
When we reveal new skills to buy, we look at the next short term goal and see if one or more of the cards will help that. If not, we just buy whatever combination gets us the most cards.

It's sometimes worth saving the XP up and waiting until later in the game to buy some cards because there are ways to reduce the cost.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Some completed side quests result in discounts to Advanced Skills

As far as WHICH skills to buy or which ones are worth the XP value, it's really hard to say. Some cards have really situational effects, but have lots of stars. Some are really great effects, but eat up a spot in your hand to be effective. Some are great tools, but are hard to craft without the right resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game about exploration and discovery where people take great pains to not spoil even the simplest of concepts.

I would think 'these are the possible skills, dig for them' would be one of the things people would NOT want to discover.

Take notes on the 'ideas' you have as you play, and when you start seeing them again, then experience will literally be your guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.