13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Minwax - does it brighten? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Re
msg tools
Hey, friends!

So I decided to paint my first mini game over the weekend (zombicide bp) and had some interesting result. After my flats were down I just finished putting a coat of minwax on em, and well...now they look like they were playing in mud on a rainy day....

Question is, over the next 24-72 hours, will the minwax shade lighten? Or am I stuck with brown shiny game minis instead of the grey ones that came with the box lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Testors Dullcote over the top will dull them if it turns out they're permanently glossy. I've never used minwax so I can't answer that specific question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Osborn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ihasaflavour wrote:
Hey, friends!

So I decided to paint my first mini game over the weekend (zombicide bp) and had some interesting result. After my flats were down I just finished putting a coat of minwax on em, and well...now they look like they were playing in mud on a rainy day....

Question is, over the next 24-72 hours, will the minwax shade lighten? Or am I stuck with brown shiny game minis instead of the grey ones that came with the box lol

Yeah, the Dullcote will take the shine off, but as for the brown 'mud' look on them. That's more or less the effect of the stain. That being said, I don't know how much or how little you applied to your minis, did you clean off areas of pooling after applying, etc.?

The 'brown' effect is also why I apply my Strong Tone Quickshade (the Army Painter version of minwax) selectively. A horde of zombies or skeletons for example, it would make sense for dirty clothing, etc. A hero mini on the other hand, I would skip the dip and go for shading and highlighting by brush to get the desired effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, Minwax will absolutely make your pieces look muddy. They will NOT get brighter. Ever.

That said, the color of stain you select can make a big difference, as will the way you apply it. Brush on the stain, then use a paper towel to dab it off. That way it just settles in the crevices. Don't ever actually dip. That's always going to make your minis look like they just finished a mud run.

Dipping is tricky. It's really easy to make a paint job look like absolute hell. But if you do it right, you'll have table-ready minis that look just as good as anything that ever came out of a Chinese painting assembly line.

Wish I could say dipping could make your minis look amazing, but I would be a liar. Time, dedication and skill will make your minis look amazing. Dipping will make them look better than gray plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
The way you describe them I wonder if you left too much of the minwax on. When I did dipping the the past I would first dip them , then shake off as much as I could, then use something the wick away excess in the areas that still looked like there was too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Osborn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a great example on how and when to apply a dip/quickshade, check out this tutorial:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you saying you JUST put it on and it hasn't dried overnight yet?

It needs about 2 days to dry and will look nothing like when you put it on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Re
msg tools
Thanks for all of the feedback. Without pictures available, it feels like nothing in that video. That person's white flats, tinted brown, mine look like I painted the entire figure brown, it's horrible looking. Perhaps I used too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ihasaflavour wrote:
Thanks for all of the feedback. Without pictures available, it feels like nothing in that video. That person's white flats, tinted brown, mine look like I painted the entire figure brown, it's horrible looking. Perhaps I used too much.

As you can see from the video, a lot of it comes down to the technique used to apply the dip. He's also going the extra mile and adding some highlights after the fact.

Don't give up on this stuff yet. It takes a LOT of practice, a lot of experimentation, and a willingness to fail on your way to being awesome. If you never fail, it's just because you're not trying anything.

I think it was Edison who said 'I never fail. I succeed or I learn.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Also absolutely nothing stopping you from highlighting / drybrushing on top of it. But yeah, for large flat areas you need to clean it up a bit as it dries and pools. Anywhere you don't want tinted brown you need to remove it.

The other thing you can do is bear in mind that the shade has that effect when painting. When I use it I'll use far brighter base colours than the eventual colour I want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
Get some simple green and let them soak in it for a few days. That removes all paint without harming the mini, and I assume it works on minwax. Then repaint the minis and this time use citadel earth shade. It might take a little longer to brush on but it looks great, much better than what I have seen from videos showing various dips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If Simple Green doesn't work, Super Clean / Purple Power from Walmart or an auto store should work; it's caustic so wear gloves. I prefer to use Army Painter's Quickshade Inks rather than the Dip, for the reasons you've encountered. After any wash (or dip) follow up with a highlight, unless you're painting any army, mob, or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all an experiment until someone says you won a contest.

Procure cheap toys for any new process for practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.