Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: New Game Investigators Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hey Guys.

I have played the main campaign and the Dunwich and Carcosa cycles once. I am about to replay everything with a new friend and want some advice on investigators. I like playing with different investigators each time we start a new cycle. In the past I have played with: Skids O’Toole, Agnes Baker, Zoey Samaras, Ashcan Pete, Mark Harrigan, and Minh Thi Phan.

Here is what I am thinking for this new playthrough:

Night of the Zealot: Jenny Barnes, Jim Culver

Dunwich Legacy: Daisy Walker, Akachi Onyele

The Path to Carcosa: William Yorick, Rex Murphy

Do these seem like balanced pairings for each campaign? We are planning on playing on normal difficulty. Keep in mind that I am trying to play with all new investigators, so that is why I made some of these choices. In each campaign, I tried to combine a good fighter and a good searcher. The only one I am skeptical about is Akachi as a fighter. I don't know if that is gonna work out long term in Dunwich.

What do y'all think?

Also I really want to try out Lola Hayes in Carcosa, but she has gotten really bad reviews on here. Has anyone been successful with her? What is a good pairing for her?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your pairs are great.

I'd build Jenny and Jim to be self-sufficient (get clues and manage baddies).

I tend to build seeker decks that focus on cluevering, while their partner provides cover. But there are enough cards now that allow you to specialize or generalize.

I played Lola in my blind Carcosa runthrough. I wasn't terribly excited about the classes chosen (Rogue, Mystic, Survivor), but she was fun enough. It was very easy for me to cheat (accidentally) with her because of her only being able to use cards from one class. I found her pretty tough but am glad to have gone through the experience. But for me, it's most likely a one and done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akachi has plenty of Combat cards available, and her "extra ammo" is great for that build. For me there would be some issues with the Mystic cards both Akachi and Daisy love, but that's my single Core no proxy problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
Your teams should work fine.

As for pairings with Lola... hmm. The most effective Lola build I’ve seen revolved around Dark Horse and eventually upgraded to Peter Sylvester II + Key of Ys. She can do work with that setup, although I have never enjoyed playing her as I personally find her special rules much more frustrating than fun. I might try pairing her with a Mystic and running Survivor/Seeker/Guardian on her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.