Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played a few rounds of the base game and really enjoyed it. I ended up hunting down all of the expansions and would like to integrate them all, but am having a feeling of being overwhelmed when I try in take in all the additional variants/options and additional stuff from the expansions.

I've tried looking through the player aids, and have found some help there, but does anyone have a recommended set of variants from the expansions or options to play with from all of the expansions to give me a good starting point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the expansion material ends up being usable in specific instances, either because you choose to play a race using new rules or you happen to get an appropriate technology.

So put in all the new technologies, and explain what the new ones do if they get drawn. They're very straightforward, but if you're feeling overwhelmed ignore developments. Same for the additions to the victory point tiles (I forget what they're called).

Add the Ancient homeworlds to the starting setup and explain the new icons if any are present.

Then the rest is if someone chooses to use an expansion race. If you want to reduce explanation time further, don't add sector tiles with special effects (Ancient hives and warp tiles and such).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jholder29 wrote:
We've played a few rounds of the base game and really enjoyed it. I ended up hunting down all of the expansions and would like to integrate them all, but am having a feeling of being overwhelmed when I try in take in all the additional variants/options and additional stuff from the expansions.

I've tried looking through the player aids, and have found some help there, but does anyone have a recommended set of variants from the expansions or options to play with from all of the expansions to give me a good starting point?

It usually makes sense to pick and choose those variants that seem interesting to you.

Our usual setup is:
- All Races from all expansions are available
- All discovery tiles from all expansions are available
- All Rare Technologies are in the Bag (using the Max 12 Rule from the latest expansion)
- All Developments are available (selected randomly appropriate to the number of players)
- All "non-special" Expansion Hexes and the Warp Portal ones are available. We do not use Ancient Homeworlds, Ancient Hives or the Deep Warp and Nexus Tiles.
- We always play with the Turn Order Variant from Ship Pack one (Turn order is based on passing order in previous round)

And that's about it for what we commonly use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheppard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with everything. All expansions and print and play stuff. It's a lot to manage, but because I've played numerous times, and added stuff slowly over the years it's not so bad.
Most tiles, technologies, and discoveries you can explain as they come up, but I think you need to consider the Shadow of the Rift expansion to be for experienced players.
Once your group has spent a number of games playing the older stuff and factions you could start adding new stuff maybe one at a time. Just make sure that the player has read a particular faction rules themselves. Some of the SotR factions can be confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the help. Exactly what I needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
jholder29 wrote:

Rise of the Ancients is something you should use all of immediately. It is not at all overwhelming, and it helps make the game vastly, vastly better than the basic game, which is already great. If you don't want to add everything at once, the Ancient Cruisers and Ancient Homeworlds are easy to leave out, and won't have much impact. But even then, those are pretty simple (they are just bigger, meaner Ancient ships, each one different). So RoTA is super fantastic, not particularly complicated, and easy to grasp and integrate.

The second big expansion, Shadow of the Rift, is really fun, but a lot more complicated; each of the 3 new races have specific rules (as opposed to just some slightly different starting positions) that require understanding, and the Anomalies (which really, are just big mean Ancient ships) can be confusing. So while SotR is a great expansion, I'd play with just RotA for a while before adding in SotR.

Anything else (promos, ships, whatever) is just chrome and easily ignored until you don't want to ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Selvaggio
msg tools
designer
I will be teaching Eclipse tomorrow and removed the expansion components from the 2nd & 3rd. There are hash marks on components to denote the expansion the item came from. I did this as not to overwhelm the folks but I think experienced players can handle one or two things at a time. The genetics chits just modify your race with stuff you already know. The time travel aliens are limited buy the chips they draw so they are easy to manage. Love the rift.

By the way how did you get a copy of ROTA. I have had no luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHass wrote:

Bgg marketplace has / had a few copies. Found one from a local seller on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jholder29 wrote:
LordHass wrote:

Bgg marketplace has / had a few copies. Found one from a local seller on it.

I went to boardgameprices.com to find a retailer in Canada. I ordered from there since I'm worried the 2nd Edition will make this hard to find and I'd rather just complete the edition I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.