Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Knott
United States
Blacksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions....

1) Can you concentrate fire when not actively engaging a unit with a PDF or VOF? For example, I have a terrain card with my unit and an enemy unit. Can friendly's on an adjacent card place a Concentrate Fire on the enemy unit even though they are not actively engaging it?

2) In another situation, if I have a squad that has placed a few concentrate fire VOFs on an adjacent card, and subsequently cease fire order is given, do the concentrate fire VOFs stay or are they removed?

3) If I have a unit engaging an enemy unit on the same card, and another unit on another card places a Concentrate Fire VOF, does that create a Crossfire VOF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Concentrate Fire must be placed along the placing unit's PDF, so a unit can only place it on its own target. See 4.2.4b.

2) Cease Fire removes any VOF/PDF generated by the occupants of the card. Concentrate Fire must follow a PDF, so it is also removed. See 4.2.4k.

3) Since the unit on another card could only place a Concentrate Fire if it had placed a PDF, their Crossfire would already be set up.

In short, Concentrate Fire is not a new attack; it only modifies the attack (automatic placement of a PDF/VOF) a unit is already making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Knott
United States
Blacksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
1)
2) Cease Fire removes any VOF/PDF generated by the occupants of the card. Concentrate Fire must follow a PDF, so it is also removed. See 4.2.4k.

I guess this is the only one I might quibble with... since it was correctly laid along the PDF, it doesn't really say that it dissipates once a PDF is removed.

But I guess it makes more sense that it would be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Javaslinger wrote:
3) If I have a unit engaging an enemy unit on the same card, and another unit on another card places a Concentrate Fire VOF, does that create a Crossfire VOF?

You only place Crossfire when there are two or more PDFs directed at a Terrain Card. A friendly unit engaged with an enemy unit in the same card doesn't put a PDF [6.2.3]; so there's only one PDF in your example, and then you don't put a Crossfire.

Ricky Gray's words (from 2009 but still applies rule-wise)
Quote:
Mariano is correct about the Crossfire. It must be 2 or more PDFs coming into a card. Thus, fire from within a card does NOT help qualify for Crossfire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you have to remember which unit placed a concentrated fire. So, if you somehow manage to concentrate fire and then shift fire away, the marker should stay. At least as long as there is still a VOF, I would not allow the CF marker to be the only VOF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
I don't think you have to remember which unit placed a concentrated fire. So, if you somehow manage to concentrate fire and then shift fire away, the marker should stay. At least as long as there is still a VOF, I would not allow the CF marker to be the only VOF.

I wouldn't play that way.

Every mention of Concentrate Fire in the rules implies that it is affecting the current target of a unit's fire, and a unit's fire only actually happens at the moment of the Combat Effects Segment.

If a unit is no longer exerting a PDF/VOF at that time, I think the Concentrate Fire no longer applies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rulebook in front of my so i could be 100% wrong but I think it specifically says that concentrate fire are removed in the clean up phase.

(if I am wrong let me know and I will delete this!. The last thing this game needs is incorrect rules postings!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neal Smith wrote:
I don't have the rulebook in front of my so i could be 100% wrong but I think it specifically says that concentrate fire are removed in the clean up phase.

(if I am wrong let me know and I will delete this!. The last thing this game needs is incorrect rules postings!)

They are removed in the clean-up phase, but the clean-up phase is at the end of the turn (after combat effects are all done).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
Neal Smith wrote:

They are removed in the clean-up phase, but the clean-up phase is at the end of the turn (after combat effects are all done).

Not just there. So you are 80% wrong but it only counts when resolved in the combat section as you noted above.

During development there was a dedicated VoF placement/adjustment segment but it was less time consuming and easier to adjust VoFs as the situation changes. Its in there just before the resolution segment as a catchall. Obviously you only need to get it right before you resolve combat, after a few plays you will find it easier to adjust in the US and enemy action phases as you play out commands and enemy activity.

Concentrated fire is removed in the clean up phase after fire effects as well as any action that causes VoFs to be re-evaluated may place or remove it. Its a VoF so they are mostly fluid, except for grenade and similar.

The system simulates simultaneous fire but to be effective you have to keep it up for most of the turn, some things can stop it , such as a more immediate priority e.g. the Enemy on top of you or a direct order.

3.7.1 Volume of Fire (VOF) Segment
Use Volume of Fire (VOF), Primary Direction of Fire (PDF), Concentrate Fire, Grenade, Grenade Miss, Demo, Demo Miss, and Crossfire markers when determining the Net Combat Modifier (6.3).

Adjust these markers as the situation changes on the map in either of the Enemy Activity Phases (3.2 and 3.4), the Command Phase (3.3), or the Combat Phase (3.7).

There is a final VoF/PDF re evaluation just before combat is evaluated. (Back page sequence is your friend). You have to be eligible for it at that point. After 3.7.2 it will be removed.

If still eligible when the PDFs generating it are re-evaluated (or next 3.7), it will be placed ready for the next combat effects segment,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.