Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom» Forums » General

Subject: That smell :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Armaan Khan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did a search before making this post, so I know this has been discussed in other threads before, but I felt the need to make a dedicated post about it.

I just got my copy of Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom from BoardGameBliss, and upon opening it I was hit with a distinctive smell I've never had upon opening a board game before. I can't place the scent exactly, but the closest analog I could come up with was that of a freshly-made felt-marker drawing.

And my first thought upon smelling it: this game smells exactly like you'd think it would, given the art. I don't mean that as a criticism or a negative; I personally love the scent and find it nostalgic, but like the art itself, I think it's going to be a "love it or hate it" kind of deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the insert. Chuck it and everything reverts to Standard Boardgame Scent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:

Dammit, now you tell me. i chucked mine just last week, replacing it with a homemade one. i didn't realize that the Degenerate Scent was tied to the inlay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Äaberg
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Inhalants were some of my first consciousness modifiers for sure - I still weep when I think about the terrible time when they took the magic potions out of markers & spray-paint...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I deeply appreciate this is still a topic of conversation on the forums. It is for that very reason that I cannot dispose of the insert, and I am keeping it forever. Whenever this game becomes a collector's item in a few years or so, having no insert will cut the selling price by about half, and all of you sensitive fools with weak stomachs will be sorry.

Or I maybe I just believe that drivel because this insert is eating away at my precious remaining brain cells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghiolekk Mag
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
Tzitzimime wrote:
Whenever this game becomes a collector's item in a few years or so, having no insert will cut the selling price by about half, and all of you sensitive fools with weak stomachs will be sorry.

I strongly believe that nobody in this forum will sell his/her own copy. Ever. So there is no point in thinking of mint condition, insert or no insert etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smells Like Teen Doom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:

While overhauling my Man Cave today i threw out my Gloomhaven insert (just the insert, not the rest). It had no scent whatsoever, not even Standard Boardgame Scent :/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
HiveGod wrote:

While overhauling my Man Cave today i threw out my Gloomhaven insert (just the insert, not the rest). It had no scent whatsoever, not even Standard Boardgame Scent :/.

seems appropriate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.