Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I just stumbled into the review of this game. I was wondering what sets this game apart from like games? I'm not an PRG fan usually, but if it is a good fun game I would consider it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Here are way too many words that try to explain what sets it apart:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/04/06/hexlore-its-uniq...

Man, the guy who wrote that sure can drone on!

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
TomChick wrote:

-Tom

What a wonderful review Tom !
Reading it almost make me want to give Hexplore It a second chance.
However, in a world where I have recently received Mage Knight, Gloomhaven, Dungeon Alliance and just yesterday the city of kings...I am not sure Hexplore IT has its place.

I think in the end you nail perfectly the things that does not really appeal to me, i.e., the sandboxy, no definite objective, nature of the game. I feel that Hexplore it thends to overstay its welcome...
Also, I am not a fan of the markers, when almost every turn you have to erase something to remove food, add gold...I don't know how you manage w/ 4 characters : I only did !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomChick wrote:

-Tom

That article is exactly how I feel about Hexplore It.

It's like stepping back to 1982 and playing an unlimited pen and paper D&D campaign with my mates. DM is 'winging it' and helping out the party so they stay alive. Min / max stats and abilities through basic arithmetic, so you feel smart when you hit the cool combo.

The Circumstances and the Quests and the exploration of the map feel like home brew DM scenarios, whilst the big BOSS battles are the 'official D&D Modules' that we played from time to time in the flow of the campaign.

One other cool thing is that having the Quests open feels like 'rumours' picked up from the inn. Circumstances feel like the random encounter table from the Dungeon Masters' Guide or Wilderness Survival Guide.

The only thing missing is the actual role-play / conversational / investigative intrigue style elements.

It feels entirely different to Gloomhaven which is a super tightly nuanced tactical game set in a fantasy setting. Also different to most 'Dungeoncrawl' games, which again are tactical. Most similar game for me, other than old school D&D, is Runebound 2nd Ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
Dosn't the final battle, inevtiable, cramp any feeling of real exploration/adventure/role playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ACBez wrote:
Dosn't the final battle, inevtiable, cramp any feeling of real exploration/adventure/role playing?

Not to me. There's plenty of exploration and adventure as the heroes study the map, make plans, get thwarted, etc. The fight at the end is like facing Sauron / the big boss / etc at the end of the 'D&D module'. You know there will be a big boss at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I dont get it . All players stay together all the time ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
labalbi wrote:
One thing I dont get it . All players stay together all the time ?

Yes. One marker/mini represents the location of all players on the board. It's a party-based game.

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Larsen
Thailand
Pathum Thani
Pathum Thani
flag msg tools
Great review Tom. I don't have Valley of the Dead King but I did back Forest of Adrimon. I imagine they will tighten up the game and the rules for the second one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.